Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Guangzhou or Shenzhen for transiting and subway connectivity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guangzhou or Shenzhen for transiting and subway connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
Don't you hate it when a thread gets hijacked?

Let's stay on topic! This is a complicated issue that always leads to a complicated discussion.
Hate is a strong word, but I definitely prefer clean threads. However, I decided that lsquare might appreciate a condensed summary here. @lsquare: If you want to discuss Wx/Ap more, please post to the thread on that topic.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Hate is a strong word, but I definitely prefer clean threads. However, I decided that lsquare might appreciate a condensed summary here. @lsquare: If you want to discuss Wx/Ap more, please post to the thread on that topic.
You’re one of most helpful guy on FT bro!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thx for the info! How much is the Hyatt typically going for if booked in advance?
As low as $81 USD if far enough in advance. $140 closer in. 5K points a night if you are a hyatt person
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by moondog
CAN is north of Guanghzou, and Guangzhou South Stn is south of Guangzhou (obviously). There is no pleasant way to make that connection.

SZX is a little better situated wrt HSR, but if you want to go from there to HK, bus via Shenzhen Bay is a little easier. You take one bus to the border, and can take other buses (using the same ticket) to many places in HK or just jump in a taxi or Uber (which, is what I usually do if I'm traveling with a colleague or two).
If I had to go from SZX to HKG with no stop-overs, I'd cross at Shenzhen Bay by car/bus or take the ferry directly. Traveling via SZ Metro/HSR/Airport Express is a round about way of getting there. Of course if you've got time to spare and wish to spend it on trains by all means go for it.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Going slightly off-topic here. Let’s pretend the layover is much longer and requires a hotel room. What are some good options at CAN? I know SZX have a Hyatt, but I don’t have elite status so no breakfast. Would be nice if there are Hilton or Marriott properties near or at CAN/SZX.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I checked and apparently Hyatt have several hotels at SZX?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:57 am

I'd say Shenzhen is easier to get around due to basically being a 100% planned city, while CAN is "historically grown". Not that CAN isn't modern and got fancy districts, but it got historical areas which Shenzhen is lacking.

For a "city visit layover" (ie, 8hrs+) I'd probably pick CAN if you've not been to either city. For a transit only, I'd probably pick Shenzhen but not really by any long shot at all. Schedule/price would be deciding more than anything for me.

For hotels, Shenzhen is better imho.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.