Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Guangzhou or Shenzhen for transiting and subway connectivity?

Old Oct 19, 19, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt

I donít really want to derail my other thread so Iíll ask here. If the airfare to both CAN and SZX is the same, which airport would you rather fly to if you have a 2, 4, or 8 hour layover?

I think both airports are connected to the subway system; but is there one that is better than the other?

FWIW, I am DL Gold, which means I have ST E+. So maybe CAN will be better? I also have a priority pass.
Old Oct 19, 19, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When are you traveling? CAN is CZ's home base, but CZ is leaving SkyTeam, IIRC on NYE.
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:02 pm

Shenzhen has a pretty quick airport line to the center now.

The Guangzhou Metro from the airport can get extraordinarily crowded as it nears the city. And with two terminals and awful signing, getting to the Metro can be very confusing.

So based on the Metro, I'd go with Shenzhen. Also, Shenzhen Airport, the Departure Hall in particular, is stunning architecture, at least from the inside.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I mentioned in your other thread, I think CAN is marginally better than SZX if you're talking about airports only, but the idea of intentionally spending time at either doesn't sit well with me.

What are your start and end points? I know you mentioned that you're potentially saving $200 by connecting in one of those places, but surely there are other alternatives.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
Shenzhen has a pretty quick airport line to the center now.

The Guangzhou Metro from the airport can get extraordinarily crowded as it nears the city. And with two terminals and awful signing, getting to the Metro can be very confusing.

So based on the Metro, I'd go with Shenzhen. Also, Shenzhen Airport, the Departure Hall in particular, is stunning architecture, at least from the inside.
Just to be clear, Shenzhen have itís own airport express like HK?
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
As I mentioned in your other thread, I think CAN is marginally better than SZX if you're talking about airports only, but the idea of intentionally spending time at either doesn't sit well with me.

What are your start and end points? I know you mentioned that you're potentially saving $200 by connecting in one of those places, but surely there are other alternatives.
I donít have the dates nailed down. Itíll be sometime next spring. These are the two closest major airports to HKG that I can think of. TPE ainít any better with pricing. Itís not a bad airport to do layovers either. Iíve done it before.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Just to be clear, Shenzhen have itís own airport express like HK?
Nope, but Line 11 seems to be faster and have greater distances between stations than other lines.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Nope, but Line 11 seems to be faster and have greater distances between stations than other lines.
Gotcha. Just wondering which airline have the biggest presence at SZX?
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:57 pm

Line 11 is in fact something of an airport express, with first-class seating if you want to pay a bit more and avoid crowds with your luggage. Very easy connection at the airport end.

Far far better than the Metro services to Guangzhou and Shanghai airports.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I donít have the dates nailed down. Itíll be sometime next spring. These are the two closest major airports to HKG that I can think of. TPE ainít any better with pricing. Itís not a bad airport to do layovers either. Iíve done it before.
My bad. By end points, I was referring to origin and destination. e.g. if you're going to be in China anyway, flying direct to HK is often pretty cheap.
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:08 pm

Likely Shenzhen Airlines ;-)
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

My bad. By end points, I was referring to origin and destination. e.g. if you're going to be in China anyway, flying direct to HK is often pretty cheap.
No. Iíll be flying in from North America. The end point is HK. Both GZ and SZ are linked to HK via HSR so thatís a plus.
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:58 pm

But getting to Guangzhou South, the HSR station for trains to HKG, is a long -- and as I said, jam-packed -- Metro ride from the airport, which is in north Guangzhou. You do this only if you absolutely have to.

Connections with Shenzhen HSR are far easier.

Note that once in Hong Kong, getting from W Kowloon Station to the Airport Express or Tung Chung line involves a very long and twisting walk through a convoluted shopping mall. It's not like you just move to a different level of W Kowloon Station and transfer to the MTR.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Iíll be flying in from North America. The end point is HK. Both GZ and SZ are linked to HK via HSR so thatís a plus.
CAN is north of Guanghzou, and Guangzhou South Stn is south of Guangzhou (obviously). There is no pleasant way to make that connection.

SZX is a little better situated wrt HSR, but if you want to go from there to HK, bus via Shenzhen Bay is a little easier. You take one bus to the border, and can take other buses (using the same ticket) to many places in HK or just jump in a taxi or Uber (which, is what I usually do if I'm traveling with a colleague or two).

Switching topics to ways to avoid CAN and SZX, here a few ideas to consider:
-if CX is charging a premium for HKG fares, and you only need one way, tacking on CAN, TPE, BKK etc tends to drop the price quite a bit
-if you plan on spending time in Shanghai anyway, flights to HK are often under $100, and as low as $40 if you're cool with 9C
-I expect very aggressive pricing on AA/CZ via PKX as they add transpacific flights (PKX-HKG is already on the schedule); this might not happen until Q2 or even Q3
-as long as HU continues to serve places like CKG and XIY, the heavily discounted business class fares should still be on offer
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 20, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: SQ PPS
Looking at seat capacity (domestic and int'l combined):
1. Shenzhen Airlines 26%
2. China Southern Airlines 25%
3. Hainan Airlines 11%
4. Air China 7%
5. China Eastern Airlines 6%

Int'l (12% of total seats at SZX):
1. China Southern Airlines 24%
2. Shenzhen Airlines 21%
3. Hainan Airlines 11%
4. AirAsia 8%
5. Thai AirAsia 5%