Search

Shenzhen Airport to Hong Kong Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Shenzhen Airport to Hong Kong Airport?

What’s the fastest and relatively affordable way to go from SZX to HKG?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:35 am

If you take the ferry you can bypass inbound immigration at HKG.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
I can take the ferry from SZX? If so, how do I get to the terminal?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/t...nland-coaches/

Originally Posted by davie355
Ferries scheduling are limited. Unless the timing matches, it will eventually cost more time than estimate.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

https://www.chinaairlinetravel.com/a...gkon-macau.htm

This definitely ranks up there with PVG to SHA terms of "things that should be avoided because there is almost always a much better way".
sinoflyer, lsquare and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
https://www.chinaairlinetravel.com/a...gkon-macau.htm

This definitely ranks up there with PVG to SHA terms of "things that should be avoided because there is almost always a much better way".
Normally I would agree with you, but MU is asking for $200 more just for the privilege of flying to HK. Since this is not a 4 hour layover and I got time, I’m thinking, why not try it?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:56 am

Normally I would agree with you, but MU is asking for $200 more just for the privilege of flying to HK. Since this is not a 4 hour layover and I got time, I’m thinking, why not try it?
If you provide more details wrt overall objective, I'm guessing we'll be able to advise a viable solution.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Slightly off-topic here, but if pricing is the same and you have to pick between CAN and SZX, which one would you go with?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
If you provide more details wrt overall objective, I'm guessing we'll be able to advise a viable solution.
I want to save the $200 and I got time so I’m going to fly to the Mainland first.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:17 am

Cheapest way: Take the SZ metro to Futian Checkpoint. Then take MTR to Tung Chung. Then transfer to the bus to airport. This will take approximately 2.5 hrs.

Faster way: Take Shenzhen metro line 11 to the last stop Futian, then transfer to the high speed train to Kowloon. Then transfer to the airport express train to HKG. This will take approximately 1.5 hrs.

Ferry: The port near SZX is called 福永码头, and direct ferry to HKG is a available. You can claim the departure tax refund at HKG.

Metro+Ferry: Take the metro to Shekou Port, then take the direct ferry to HKG. Check ferry schedule. You can claim the departure tax refund at HKG.

Easiest: Take the direct bus from SZX to HKG. Takes 1.5hrs. Check bus schedule.

More details here: https://m.mafengwo.cn/wenda/detail-17232060.html (in Chinese)
sinoflyer, IggySD, lsquare and 1 others like this.

Last edited by kchanbeki; Oct 19, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:41 am

Slightly off-topic here, but if pricing is the same and you have to pick between CAN and SZX, which one would you go with?
In terms of airports only, I prefer CAN, but whichever you choose, I suggest you identify a place of interest or two to make it worth the hassle.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I want to save the $200 and I got time so I’m going to fly to the Mainland first.
More detail about your itinerary would be helpful for us to better assess your options. Will you be crossing China-Hong Kong during the morning, afternoon, or evening? Will you be carrying checked luggage or just hand luggage? How long is the layover? Etc.

I have not crossed China-Hong Kong via the Futian checkpoint too many times, so I can't comment on what days of the week and what hours of the day are "peak." But no matter when, the Futian checkpoint involves a lot of walking, including crossing a river, such that you'd be better off taking the "direct" bus (actually two buses because Chinese buses are not allowed in Hong Kong and vice versa) to minimize the walking to within the customs and bus interchange facility.

About the ferry from Shekou. It's an option only if you can arrive at the port before the cutoff time for your flight departure. The ferry company doesn't grant "one-time exceptions" for check-in/ticket purchase, because you essentially depart China before boarding the boat, and it becomes a bureaucratic mess if you miss your flight in HKG, something that the ferry company doesn't want to shoulder the penalty for.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would go to the one I need to go to, or the one closest to my needed destination.
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm considering doing something similar. I'd like to go from HKG to Shenzhen (city, not airport). Do I need to buy bus tickets before arriving at HKG, or will I be able to buy it at the counter and just take the next bus? I'll only have carry-on luggage. Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:58 am

You shouldn't need to reserve in advance: just show up at the counter.

However, it's possible that because of current conditions, direct bus services have been reduced. so you might want to check timings first.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/t...ches/#content2

Be prepared to use public transport to get to the border in case timings of the direct buses don't work out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.