Wiki Posts
Search

7 years in China - ask me anything

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:54 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
There isn't much to see in Urumuqi. I definitely recommend spending at least 2 nights (prefer 3) in Turpan if you plan to divert. There are many day trips that can be arranged with drivers who loiter by the bus station. You don't have to look for them; they will find you. Do your research beforehand about places that you might be interested in seeing. BTW, expect police checkpoints on the highway between Urumuqi and Turpan, so if you are planning on the travel time, give it an additional hour or two cushion.
I didn't have much time in Urumqi, but I got a kick out of trying to ask people what time things - e.g. night markets in Erdaoqiao - started. Some locals seemed to go by Xinjiang Standard Time, two hours before the rest of China (in case no one on this forum knew, the mainland is officially all in one time zone). Makes sense, except that they never wanted to share to which "time zone" they referred...don't worry though, all transportation is in Beijing time.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
... Some locals seemed to go by Xinjiang Standard Time, two hours before the rest of China...
My lesson with Xinjiang time went like this: I had booked my return to PEK on a CA flight departing URC around 14:00, thinking that I could leave Turpan after breakfast and still get to Urumqi airport with plenty of time to spare. Then, I checked the bus schedule and found that the first bus to Urumqi didn't leave until 8:00. I was initially confused about why the first bus would leave so late, but then I remembered that 8 am actually meant 6 am--before the sun came up. Luckily for me, I also decided to take that first bus. I ended up cutting it too close for comfort with that 14:00 flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:41 pm

I'll bite . . .

What are your favorite food blogs or food websites for Beijing?

Can you recommend a driver or service in Beijing that will not stop at the jade galleries / art galleries / favorite restaurants as part of the excursion?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Kashkar, Beijing and Shanghai

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hallo, if you have been recently to Kashkar and Urumqui, if staying 3 days in Kashkar, is there anything in Urumqui worth seeing/doing? We will have a 17 hour layover in Urumqui on the way from Kashkar to Beijing; is it worth extending it to several days?
Also, while on a two 15 hour layovers in Beijing, could the Wall and Central Beijing be visited on each of these two layovers?
Lastly, how many days does Shanghai warrant on an already pressed itinerary.
Bedankt
I thank all for your suggestions. Our situation is thus:

On an award ticket, we are flying into Kashkar with an anticipated stay of 3 days. Our flight into PEK overnights in Urumqui from 18:00 to 10:00 next morning. I presume that not leaving the city those few hours will be enough to see "something" of Urumqui. Any ideas of public transportation from Kashkar Airport into city as well as Urumqui Airport into city/

Lastly, for a first time visit, is 3 days in PEK and 3 days in Shanghai be enough to "sample" these two immense cities?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thank all for your suggestions. Our situation is thus:

On an award ticket, we are flying into Kashkar with an anticipated stay of 3 days. Our flight into PEK overnights in Urumqui from 18:00 to 10:00 next morning. I presume that not leaving the city those few hours will be enough to see "something" of Urumqui. Any ideas of public transportation from Kashkar Airport into city as well as Urumqui Airport into city/

Lastly, for a first time visit, is 3 days in PEK and 3 days in Shanghai be enough to "sample" these two immense cities?

Thanks again.
Oh boy, are you in for a surprise (Worry not, getting into town is really easy.)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Thanks again.
Most certainly 3 days is sufficient for Shanghai. You can do the 'essential' sights in one day. Where Shanghai takes time is if you want to scratch beneath the surface or have special interests. For example you might be interested in history, antiques, or art deco architecture. Going to various shops or searching out the buildings of a particular architect will take time. Food is another example... so many restaurants that you'd be there days just to try a few of dozens.

But as a first time tourist... looking at the Bund, across the river to Pudong, drive around the former French concession, drink at a couple of bars and select one or two restaurants and a day or so is enough.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Most certainly 3 days is sufficient for Shanghai. You can do the 'essential' sights in one day. Where Shanghai takes time is if you want to scratch beneath the surface or have special interests. For example you might be interested in history, antiques, or art deco architecture. Going to various shops or searching out the buildings of a particular architect will take time. Food is another example... so many restaurants that you'd be there days just to try a few of dozens.

But as a first time tourist... looking at the Bund, across the river to Pudong, drive around the former French concession, drink at a couple of bars and select one or two restaurants and a day or so is enough.
You can spend time in Shanghai visiting various 20th century historical sites, including homes of famous politicians.

It's also fun to go in search of Chinese art, starting with the art museum and the nearby modern art museum, then the gallery/warehouse area and IIRC a gallery on the Bund.

If you're interested, you can spend most of a day in the Shanghai museum. There are also two urban planning museums, one underground near People's Square and the other in Pudong. There's also the museum (vaguely about the history of the communist party) at the tea shop in Xiandu (spelling?).

Something else to do is to visit the grounds of Shanghai Expo. Some of the exhibits and buildings are still open. At one level, it's modern architecture in a park along the river, but then there are the places that had long lines during the Expo itself.....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:37 pm

@msp: I'm curious about:
1. The second urban planning museum (BTW, the first one is not underground)
2. The communist party museum inside a tea shop
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Not really about travel but I want to see what FT's opinion is on Tmall, JD, and etc.

Is it safe?
Are buyers protected in anyway? Amazon of course is too protective to the buyer IMO.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Not really about travel but I want to see what FT's opinion is on Tmall, JD, and etc.

Is it safe?
Are buyers protected in anyway? Amazon of course is too protective to the buyer IMO.
Of course it's safe, those sites are run by two of the largest e commerce companies in the world. Buyers are protected on Tmall and JD.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
@msp: I'm curious about:
1. The second urban planning museum (BTW, the first one is not underground)
2. The communist party museum inside a tea shop
This is what I remember, from my visit around the time of the Chengdu earthquake.

One urban planning museum was in a small old building in Pudong, on the edge of a small park not far from the river. It seemed to rarely be open.

Also on the Pudong side is the touristic but interesting museum of the history of Shanghai in the basement of the ? Tower, very close to the river.

On the Puxi side, the basement museum is close to People's Park (on the river side of the park) in what is apparently a newish government office building with some shops. it's small and covers also the history of Shanghai with some urban planning stuff at the end IIRC.

I think I remember another urban planning (exclusively so, like the first place on the Pudong side) museum above ground in more or less the same area, although I might be thinking of a special exhibit, perhaps near the opera house.

The communist party museum is in the center of Xiandu (spelling?) along what seems to be a side street in a new building designed to look old. It's reasonable size and I remember the exit leading into a fancy looking tea shop that sells tea and tea accessorites as well as serving tea.

I found these places listed in the guide book that I was using at the time, although I remember the concierge staff at the (then) StR not being familiar with some of them. [Because my Chengdu side trip was cancelled, I had excess time in Shanghai on this trip to China and spent the time exploring virtually every museum in the center of the city that I saw referenced.] I don't know whether I still have that guidebook that I purchased in the USA for the trip.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:10 am

Msp: thanks for your detailed post. Can you provide info wrt "xiandu"?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7 years in China - ask me anything

I think she means Xintiandi. There is some sort of communist museum there.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Ah. Is it a nice place? I live in xtd, but rarely hang out in the area (jingan and xuhui are much nicer/cheaper). But, at least I'm on the proper side of the river.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Yes, MSP is referring to the small museum that commemorates the founding of the party in Shanghai. Unless you know something of history though, it won't seem very impressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.