FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   7 years in China - ask me anything (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1677514-7-years-china-ask-me-anything.html)

chinaflyer23 May 4, 2015 10:28 pm

7 years in China - ask me anything

I just signed up to this forum and am happy to answer any questions about visiting China / Travel in China.

About me: I'm a Dutch national and I moved here from Hong Kong after quitting a job in finance. After a couple of years I set up a spirits import and distribution business. Still running this and travelling around China every month. Based in Beijing.

Doc Savage May 4, 2015 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by chinaflyer23 (Post 24766654)
I just signed up to this forum and am happy to answer any questions about visiting China / Travel in China.

About me: I'm a Dutch national and I moved here from Hong Kong after quitting a job in finance. After a couple of years I set up a spirits import and distribution business. Still running this and travelling around China every month. Based in Beijing.

Welcome to FT! It's nice to have another China "local" to help with advice.

LOUDNOISES May 4, 2015 10:40 pm

I generally don't drink spirits here due to legitimacy issues. Can you give any advice on hotels/bars/shops/markets that you know to import 'kosher' alcohol?

JPDM May 5, 2015 3:00 am

After 10 years I still don't know "everything".

weiwei2 May 5, 2015 3:27 am

When is the most suitable time to visit Beijing, China?

tentseller May 5, 2015 4:16 am

Who would you place you money on as Xi's successor?

mosburger May 5, 2015 9:24 am

Where could one be left alone and read classical poems while sipping quality tea in front of a traditional garden landscape in China?

moondog May 5, 2015 10:22 am

What purpose does the middle track on subway lines with right (outside) facing exits serve?

jiejie May 5, 2015 10:55 am

Welcome to FT and the China Forum!
As you can see from the above responses, we have a bunch of comedians that like to hang out here. :D

tommya May 5, 2015 11:02 am

Welcome to flyertalk. I am staying in Central Beijing on an upcoming visit. Where do you recommend I go to buy sport jerseys (US pro sports leagues and college teams) in Beijing?

Thanks.

Pimevai May 5, 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 24768704)
Where could one be left alone and read classical poems while sipping quality tea in front of a traditional garden landscape in China?

Although I think you meant it as a joke, the answer to your question is:

There's a legitimate (no up sells and no sexual stuff) tea parlor on the East bank of HouHai, it's across the water from the Starbucks there. It is the first shop on the East bank after a bike rental shop. I haven't been there in a couple of years and can't remember it's name but it is behind a round red wooden door, and had windows overlooking HouHai with red curtains. Inside it has private rooms (or actually just one private room that I've seen), as well as Chinese style cushioned chairs (太师椅) and big tables in the main hall.

Every time I've been had been with friends though (I never saw the bills) but I was told you could pay a reasonable upfront rate (around 50-100RMB) and you could bring your own tea and sit there all day, the fee is a "water" fee for the hot water service and use of their facilities. They have traditional Chinese board games (Chinese Chess, GO), as well as cards and magazines too for free use.

Also welcome to FT OP

LOUDNOISES May 5, 2015 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by tommya (Post 24769244)
Welcome to flyertalk. I am staying in Central Beijing on an upcoming visit. Where do you recommend I go to buy sport jerseys (US pro sports leagues and college teams) in Beijing?

Thanks.

The Silk Market has some stuff on the ground floor. Yashow would do but it has been closed for refurbishment for several months. Only pro teams though, doubt you will see any College stuff.

No one shops at stores or markets anymore so they have become useless. Everyone here just buys from Taobao.

sinoflyer May 6, 2015 12:29 pm

Having spent a lifetime in, near, and around Greater China, I know that I don't know much about China. But I think I have seen and heard from the Chinese enough things that they would not typically do and say in front of foreigners to know that what foreigners "know" about China is not the China that I know.

weiwei2 May 6, 2015 4:48 pm

How is the living standard in China now day? I want to do some estimation on how much money need to bring for a week trip.

JPDM May 6, 2015 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES (Post 24772075)

No one shops at stores or markets anymore so they have become useless. Everyone here just buys from Taobao.

I still see plenty of people buying stuff in the shopping malls.