Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

China's official policy on electronics isn't much different than other countries, i.e. checking electronics is fine as long as Li+ batteries are inside their devices, powerbanks are considered "naked" so must be carried on, etc. But, I usually try to ensure that my computer, spare phone, liquids, and sharp objects are pretty easy to access so I don't need to completely unpack in case my bag(s) get flagged. When secondary screenings are triggered, the security personnel usually know exactly what they're looking for (i.e. they circle it on the xray screen) so the drill is fast, as long as you are well organized.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Jan 13, 2024 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
You can check a laptop with less than 100Wh battery. Between 100Wh to 160Wh you need permission from the airline (not sure how to arrange that, probably easier just to carry on). Above 160Wh not allowed

edit: apparently all laptops are designed to have 100Wh batteries or less for check in purposes
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:16 pm

Cool Newbie...

Hi! First post from a confused passenger... I'm flying Gatwick to Tokyo with a connection in Shanghai T2, both flights with Air China and 3.5h between flights. My question is will I need to collect my checked bag or will it be automatically put on my Tokyo flight? Air China at Gatwick said I won't have to collect but I'm not overly convinced! If I do need to collect the bag, do I need the transit visa? Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by weezathon
Hi! First post from a confused passenger... I'm flying Gatwick to Tokyo with a connection in Shanghai T2, both flights with Air China and 3.5h between flights. My question is will I need to collect my checked bag or will it be automatically put on my Tokyo flight? Air China at Gatwick said I won't have to collect but I'm not overly convinced! If I do need to collect the bag, do I need the transit visa? Thanks everyone!
You almost certainly won't need a transit visa for that, and I'll give you very high odds of not having to deal with your luggage during the layover, but here's a recent data point from a poster that did need to recheck his/her bags at PVG-T2:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35917567-post10.html
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:17 am

I had an airport transit (hand luggage only...) inbound from Budapest and onwards to Macau two days ago.

Compared to PKX a couple of days ago it was a breeze....but I guess the amount of passengers play an important role here....because in PKX we were three passengers in total.

The PVG transit area however was quite full.

The vending machines at the gates did not accept 10 RMB bills, therefore I had to wait until the shops open up.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I'm transiting through PVG for the first time in over four years next month, and I'm curious to hear if there are any changes in the restaurant offerings at T1S. While I may end up spoiling myself in the lounge I actually want to try some of the other restaurants I saw the last time I was there.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Transfer LH to ANA (airside?) at PVG (separate tickets, no hold luggage)

I will be transiting at PVG on separate tickets with just hand luggage. Arriving with LH from MUC at 16:35 and departing with ANA to KIX at 19:05. Hence I have 2.5 hrs.
Has anybody done this recently? Is it possible to stay airside? Or do I need to go through immigration and then check in again. It's possible for me to have a printed boarding pass for my ANA flight when I arrive at PVG.
Any comments? Highly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:29 am

Whats your Nationality? German or Japanese? Then you can literally just walk landside, without TWOV ordeal, in case transfer isn't working..
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Whats your Nationality? German or Japanese? Then you can literally just walk landside, without TWOV ordeal, in case transfer isn't working..
I have Swiss nationality. (And I don't believe the Swiss visa free entry will be ready for Mid March, when I'll be travelling)
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
How does nationality come into play? If the transit desks are open or you have an onward boarding pass, airside transit is probably possible for all passports. If not, entering China is unavoidable, even for Chinese citizens.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by moondog
How does nationality come into play? If the transit desks are open or you have an onward boarding pass, airside transit is probably possible for all passports. If not, entering China is unavoidable, even for Chinese citizens.
Yes, if transit tasks are open, it's easy for everyone.

If they're closed, as you say, it's entry into China. TWOV still isn't allowed for all Nationals, and even the 24hrs TWOV takes a while to get granted as they need to check, need to fill out the TWOV form, and so on (and if I'm not mistaken, the airline should pre-register any pax who wants to do TWOV) - for Nationals not needing a visa (Germany, Singapore, etc.) you basically walk in, and you're through.

Since OP is Swiss, there is some chance he'll be able to walk in by Mid March (I suspect visa-free entry for Swiss nationals becomes published sometime in the next couple weeks) - if that happens, he'll definitely have one thing less to worry.

The problem about having 2 tickets in transit is that I doubt he can get his boarding pass beforehand, so he'll show up in Shanghai with just a printout / electronic copy of his checkin confirmation at best, but not a boarding pass. China still pretty much requires a physical boarding pass, you know, they gotta stamp it

So, if transfer desks are open AND can provide him with a proper boarding pass, all good. If not: Landside it is. And with just 2.5hrs in transit, that means he'll have 1.5hrs to pass immigration and get to the checkin desk, assuming on-time arrival. (I didn't check when ANA closes it's checkin in PVG, but would assume it's 1 hour before departure)

I've never had to wait longer than 30min in PVG for immigration in the past, when I held a Visa, but with TWOV, time can add up. It should definitely be possible to pass immigration with applying to TWOV, but I'd consider that at least a bit risky.

If he doesn't need TWOV, on the other hand, he just goes straight into the regular immigration queue.

Also, assuming his incoming flight is delayed by 1 hour (and he can't transit airside), he might have to book a new flight out of China on the spot as they might feel it's "too tight" to use TWOV as his original flight can't be reached, or whatever. If he's able to walk into China without TWOV/Visa, well, he might still make it. (I'd definitely ask to jump the queue in such situation, if all I need is a quick glance over my passport and then rush to the checkin again..)

So yes, his Nationality (and, in his case, the timely implementation of visa-free entrance for Swiss citizen) play a rather big role.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: Life
Any latest reports of airside transits without having to enter Shanghai? I have 2hr20 minutes CA- CX connection..mct at pvg seems to be 2 hours.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by gogooo
Any latest reports of airside transits without having to enter Shanghai? I have 2hr20 minutes CA- CX connection..mct at pvg seems to be 2 hours.
I was trying to do airside transit in PVG last week. Arriving on LH from MUC and changing to ANA flight to Osaka. I had 2:30 hrs between flights. In the end I had to enter Shanghai, because ANA does not have a transit desk. The whole immigration process took about 50-60 Minutes, as there was quite a line at immigration. It worked out, but was a bit on the tight side. After landing, the plane took almost half an hour to reach its gate and get the bridge connected. Immigration officer told me I had to be very fast to go to check-in again, not to miss my connection. I was entering without visa, as I have a Swiss passport, but the TWOV should take approx same time to immigrate.
Hope this helps
narvik and gogooo like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Am planning on flying from LHR - PVG one way with Virgin Atlantic and then flying on to Tokyo with JAL (separate tickets). Can I spend a couple of nights in Shanghai between flights to see what the city is like/has to offer or would I just have to stay in the airport for 9 hours as a transit passenger? If the former, how is the length of the TWOV calculated?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by higham44
Can I spend a couple of nights in Shanghai between flights to see what the city is like/has to offer <snip>?

Yes, that's what the TWOV is for. Book flights with a few days in Shanghai to explore the city. Calculated from Midnight after arrival until departing flight time.

Main thread is here:

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.