wechat(微信)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
The "FT People on WeChat" group
Our group chat is comprised of FT members and friends of FT members. We talk about pretty much anything except for politics (because Papa Bear has the ability to watch over us). The group has its own QR code, but it has a short shelf life (e.g. about 5 days), so I'm not including it here. The easiest way to join is to add me as a contact (moondogsh) and let me put you in the group.

Contacting Tencent Customer Support
If you want to get in touch with Tencent customer service (e.g. to update your passport number or change your name format so it aligns with your bank accounts), most web resources will advise you to simply message the "WeChat Team" contact. It is extremely difficult to get a human response when using this approach. Calling them also results in a bot experience.

However, the following drill works as of July 2022 (specific menu options can always change, of course; the key is getting yourself to step 5 below):
1. Dial 95716 (or +86 4009100100 from outside of China)
2. Select option 1 for personal accounts
3. Enter your connected phone number followed by #
3. Select option 2 for other questions
4. The bot will ask you to describe your issue using voice; just speak to it in English; it won't understand and will ask you to repeat 3-5 times before giving up
5. Now, the bot will give you ~8 menu options; through trial and error, I can state that option 7 is good for immediate transfer to a human (some of the others might work as well)
6. When the representative picks up, you definitely need to speak Chinese, but your request is presumably fairly easy to convey, and their responses are also pretty simple
7. They might want to move the conversation over to WeChat; this is okay because they will send you an invite to a special customer service queue, which is only ~60% automated
Print Wikipost

wechat(微信)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

wechat(微信)

9/13/2015 update
This morning, I created a group named "ft people on wechat". I am pretty sure you can join it by searching for it. If not, just add me (moondogsh), and I'll add you to the group.

The reason I created this group is two-fold:
1. The bj/sh meetings threads here are useless
2. Wechat is a lot more advanced than IB
Since I didn't have a smart phone for several months last year, I was kind of slow to the punch bowl on this phenomenon, but now that I'm on board, I must say that I'm completely wowed. It's nearly as disruptive as the iPhone (leaves other chat clients in the dust, and is extremely "social").

This is just the latest case of a Chinese company copying a Western technology and making it categorically better (other examples include weibo v. Twitter, Qunar v. Kayak, QQ v. MSN, and Dianping v. Groupon).

I particularly like the feature that allows you to switch between your phone and your computer using the QR code (first time I've ever seen a good use for QR codes), though I must admit that offering a PC based client would address the same problem.
joesk likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 12, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
^

Lots of my Chinese friends are hooked on wechat and got me onboard last year. Voice and video capability built in. Very easy to chat with one or several friends at the same time.

The WSJ had a few articles highlighting Tencent's push via wechat and the large increase in subscriber base.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I use it all the time to chat with my Chinese friends, seems to have taken over QQ.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:17 am

Sorry haven't found some obvious difference btw wechat (微信) and QQ. QQ has been working well for me. Should I use wechat?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sammysw
Sorry haven't found some obvious difference btw wechat (微信) and QQ. QQ has been working well for me. Should I use wechat?
Well, they're both Tencent products, but it's sort of like comparing DOS and Windows (same company, same basic functionality; the latter is far richer).
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: SQ
You can send QQ messages through weixin

Its OK - I find the app to be a little bit slower, but more consistent than QQs. Meaning it never freezes like the QQ one.

When you see people listening to what seems to be a voicemail over and over again....it's weixin
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wechat allows you to leave short audio messages. And the best feature is I don't have to hear the annoying beep beep beep beep beep noise of QQ all around anymore, esp the subway.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wechat allows you to leave short audio messages. And the best feature is I don't have to hear the annoying beep beep beep beep beep noise of QQ all around anymore, esp the subway.
Yeah, wexin/wechat is great for voice messages.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:50 pm

Ah... I have to agree with you guys the voice (audio) messages is great feature Wechat has but QQ doesn't have.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
Since I didn't have a smart phone for several months last year, I was kind of slow to the punch bowl on this phenomenon, but now that I'm on board, I must say that I'm completely wowed. It's nearly as disruptive as the iPhone (leaves other chat clients in the dust, and is extremely "social").

This is just the latest case of a Chinese company copying a Western technology and making it categorically better (other examples include weibo v. Twitter, Qunar v. Kayak, QQ v. MSN, and Dianping v. Groupon).

I particularly like the feature that allows you to switch between your phone and your computer using the QR code (first time I've ever seen a good use for QR codes), though I must admit that offering a PC based client would address the same problem.
The copies though are needed for increased control, that's about it.
(Then again I have a work VPN for China/UAE/Saudi travel)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Yeah, wexin/wechat is great for voice messages.
Ah... I have to agree with you guys the voice (audio) messages is great feature Wechat has but QQ doesn't have.
This 'voice message' thing can get super annoying! My wife's cousin and friends are constantly doing the voice thing when we go out drinking with them. I find it silly... I mean if you gonna send/receive 10+ voice messages, might as well just dial that person and talk it out! Girls seem to love this feature though...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe there is a discussion of we chat without a mention of it's most used feature! The "look around" function that allows you to view all users close by you which can be further sorted either into male or female users.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
ie.. the "Shake" function. I have some friends here in HK that use to exclusively try to pick up girls...

One can leave short audio messages on WhatsApp too (i know a Chinese friend of mine has done it). was a surprise to me!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
ie.. the "Shake" function. I have some friends here in HK that use to exclusively try to pick up girls...
One of my friends taught me about "shaking" a few days ago... even more fun than "look around".
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:43 am

Anyone know how to add QQ contacts using WeChat? It's the only thing I find myself still logging into QQ to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.