wechat(微信)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
The "FT People on WeChat" group
Our group chat is comprised of FT members and friends of FT members. We talk about pretty much anything except for politics (because Papa Bear has the ability to watch over us). The group has its own QR code, but it has a short shelf life (e.g. about 5 days), so I'm not including it here. The easiest way to join is to add me as a contact (moondogsh) and let me put you in the group.

Contacting Tencent Customer Support
If you want to get in touch with Tencent customer service (e.g. to update your passport number or change your name format so it aligns with your bank accounts), most web resources will advise you to simply message the "WeChat Team" contact. It is extremely difficult to get a human response when using this approach. Calling them also results in a bot experience.

However, the following drill works as of July 2022 (specific menu options can always change, of course; the key is getting yourself to step 5 below):
1. Dial 95716 (or +86 4009100100 from outside of China)
2. Select option 1 for personal accounts
3. Enter your connected phone number followed by #
3. Select option 2 for other questions
4. The bot will ask you to describe your issue using voice; just speak to it in English; it won't understand and will ask you to repeat 3-5 times before giving up
5. Now, the bot will give you ~8 menu options; through trial and error, I can state that option 7 is good for immediate transfer to a human (some of the others might work as well)
6. When the representative picks up, you definitely need to speak Chinese, but your request is presumably fairly easy to convey, and their responses are also pretty simple
7. They might want to move the conversation over to WeChat; this is okay because they will send you an invite to a special customer service queue, which is only ~60% automated
Print Wikipost

wechat(微信)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by ChillDude
You're right, I was permanently completely banned. I eventually reached out to customer service by continuously PM the official WeChat/Tencent account on other social media platforms. They told me they couldn't do anything because I was reported and banned by the "superior department".
Gosh...I was about to ask what did you do...Then I saw your comments...
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I forwarded a Bloomberg news article (in Chinese). They told me that the reason for my ban was maliciously spreading rumors.
Just curious - did you forward a link, or a pdf?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I was wondering the same thing, but then it occurred to me that it wouldn't really matter to the current net nannies (their game is increasingly advanced).
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I forwarded a link, and quoted a paragraph of it. I replaced sensitive names with emojis or other "slang" in an attempt to blur out these sensitive information. 🤷Obviously, the sensitive words library of GFW is updated faster than me.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
You're right, I was permanently completely banned. I eventually reached out to customer service by continuously PM the official WeChat/Tencent account on other social media platforms. They told me they couldn't do anything because I was reported and banned by the "superior department".
Is it not possible to create a new account?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes. In fact, I have two additional accounts tied to US phone numbers that I use primarily as folders for content that I want to save (sort of like favorites). But, these accounts don't work with any payment related features.

In the event my primary account was blacklisted, I suppose I could try to register a new phone number​​​​​ (ideally with a different ID) and see if that did the trick.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 29, 2023 at 3:12 am
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:06 am

As long as you have other phone numbers you can always create a new wechat account. Actually after I registered another account with a different number I managed to unlink my phone number from the banned account and link it to the new account. I forget how I did it tho.
lsquare and gudugan like this.

Last edited by ChillDude; Mar 29, 2023 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 30, 2023, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Yes. In fact, I have two additional accounts tied to US phone numbers that I use primarily as folders for content that I want to save (sort of like favorites). But, these accounts don't work with any payment related features.

In the event my primary account was blacklisted, I suppose I could try to register a new phone number​​​​​ (ideally with a different ID) and see if that did the trick.
yes, that is true.
as long as you have multiple phone numbers, you can create many WeChat account.
But to use money-related features, you will need to be authenticated with ID.
Now they are grey-test to register two accounts using same phone number
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 7:51 am

As long as you have other phone numbers you can always create a new wechat account. Actually after I registered another account with a different number I managed to unlink my phone number from the banned account and link it to the new account. I forget how I did it tho.
I would not suggest link your banned account number to the new account, there is a chance your new account get banned after you do so.
tentseller, lsquare and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by moondog
The "two friends" thing happens fairly often. While all of us have at least two friends, whenever the request comes through when they are asleep, things are not good.
Originally Posted by wlau
Hahaha... My Chinese friends even asked me if I can only get locked-out during their daylight hours There are way too many possible triggers to get the account locked out. The good news is that most Chinese also experience lock out or account restrictions, so they understand the pain.
Just got a new phone, which the WeChat app tells me is a violation of their acceptable use policy 😂🙄🤦‍♂️ Can't make this stuff up.

I have the same phone number, I know my WeChat ID, and I know my password. I don't however, have my old phone, which has already been erased and traded in.

The app says that the account recovery option is only for people who have changed phone numbers, or who have forgotten their WeChat ID. Which option can I choose to get access to my account on my new phone, given that I have the same phone number, and I know my WeChat ID, and I know my password?

Thank you!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:27 am

Are you using the English app? The Chinese app may have more functions.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I think there’s a password reset thing if your account is linked to a phone number. They text you a SMS (this works for foreign numbers too). Otherwise you can enter your password to login

FYI what you’re supposed to do is transfer the account from the old to new phone before wiping the old phone. Password reset probably means you lose all of your messages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.