wechat(微信)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
The "FT People on WeChat" group
Our group chat is comprised of FT members and friends of FT members. We talk about pretty much anything except for politics (because Papa Bear has the ability to watch over us). The group has its own QR code, but it has a short shelf life (e.g. about 5 days), so I'm not including it here. The easiest way to join is to add me as a contact (moondogsh) and let me put you in the group.

Contacting Tencent Customer Support
If you want to get in touch with Tencent customer service (e.g. to update your passport number or change your name format so it aligns with your bank accounts), most web resources will advise you to simply message the "WeChat Team" contact. It is extremely difficult to get a human response when using this approach. Calling them also results in a bot experience.

However, the following drill works as of July 2022 (specific menu options can always change, of course; the key is getting yourself to step 5 below):
1. Dial 95716 (or +86 4009100100 from outside of China)
2. Select option 1 for personal accounts
3. Enter your connected phone number followed by #
3. Select option 2 for other questions
4. The bot will ask you to describe your issue using voice; just speak to it in English; it won't understand and will ask you to repeat 3-5 times before giving up
5. Now, the bot will give you ~8 menu options; through trial and error, I can state that option 7 is good for immediate transfer to a human (some of the others might work as well)
6. When the representative picks up, you definitely need to speak Chinese, but your request is presumably fairly easy to convey, and their responses are also pretty simple
7. They might want to move the conversation over to WeChat; this is okay because they will send you an invite to a special customer service queue, which is only ~60% automated
Print Wikipost

wechat(微信)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Our prices start at Y1,500 and top out at Y6,000.

Off topic, howtochina is free for the next 30 days for 20 users; we are trying to optimize our system before turning up the volume. You will see us in the WSJ before Xmas.
Hi Moondog,

When I go to HowToChina.com I just get a box asking for an email address. Is there a different link? Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gourmand73
Hi Moondog,

When I go to HowToChina.com I just get a box asking for an email address. Is there a different link? Thanks
We haven't turned on the website yet because we can't accommodate more than 20 users at this point in time (as you might imagine "how to x China?" is a pretty common search term). But, if you're in Wechat, you can simply search for it (no spaces). Alternatively, I can email you the QR code.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

My biz partner (also in China) and I tried out the recent "video call" feature for the first time earlier this week during one of our evening calls because Skype was being annoying. I had noticed previously, but dismissed it as something that would surely be a let down. Furthermore, I simply don't like the idea of video calls (we're not living the Jetsons' Era yet, after all... as soon as I get my first robotic ayi, I'll succumb to the video thing).

Anyway, I took the plunge, and was simply blown away by the quality... AMAZING. Furthermore, I learned how to disable video within the first 3 seconds... so no problems there.

I would probably only use this function when on wifi because (based on the video/sound clarity) I'm guessing the data consumption is non-trivial.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:48 am

Moondog, sorry about that. I totally forgot the time difference. In my defense I haven't slept in close to 42 hours, so I'm a little askew. Anyway, yes please do send me the QR code. Is there a Wechat tutorial? So far here's what I have on there: the Wechat team and you. Technology + me = kaploooie.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:09 pm

All through WeChat

http://androidcommunity.com/xiaomi-m...sale-20131129/

I really wished I could get a MI3, but it seems they'll keep their superior phones for themselves
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
All through WeChat

I really wished I could get a MI3, but it seems they'll keep their superior phones for themselves : (
So true, I just bought my first chinese smartphone on Chinese Amazon- It was 650 RMB, Its a Android Lenovo A850 , unlocked with two sim card slots, 5.5 " screen. Great dual language aps. Now i will try my ATT go phone chip & see if it works in Mexico.
- Thread Op- I just did install we-chat on this phone, so now have we-chat on both the Ipad 2 & the phone.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Partly due to this thread, I have downloaded wechat.

Must admit, this is pretty cool tool. I really like and dislike the mini posts people make of the stuff they are selling. This can be a great marketing tool for the future.

I don't understand the bottle feature but the shake feature is just a tad creepy.

Annoying part of this is the constant barrage of updates my pals seems to make and the drain on my battery.

Moondog, is that a picture of you in the train?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Partly due to this thread, I have downloaded wechat.

I don't understand the bottle feature but the shake feature is just a tad creepy.
Also just on we-chat this month. yes the shake feature is creepy.

I like the Discover people nearby and the Album feature. Also some of the china conferences/Forums have a we-chat ID with the schedules and other reference notes.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I finally linked one of my CCs to Wechat today (I didn't think this was possible for non-China ID holders because whenever trying to register my Chinese cards, I was unable to get past the ID field, but I can now confirm that Visa/MC/Discover work fine). Now, I'll never need to ask a Chinese person to top up my phones again, and payment QR codes are going to start popping up everywhere (e.g. convenience stores, taxis, restaurants).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC One_M8 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.141 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I finally linked one of my CCs to Wechat today (I didn't think this was possible for non-China ID holders because whenever trying to register my Chinese cards, I was unable to get past the ID field, but I can now confirm that Visa/MC/Discover work fine). Now, I'll never need to ask a Chinese person to top up my phones again, and payment QR codes are going to start popping up everywhere (e.g. convenience stores, taxis, restaurants).
Good to hear it works for you. Not sure about the non-Chenises ID bit though.

I never had that and was able to set up using Chase Corp Visa perfectly.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Er, top up phones? Didn't you use taobao for that?

We still top up our cell phones via taobao from Japan, no need for a credit card and you get a small discount.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Er, top up phones? Didn't you use taobao for that?

We still top up our cell phones via taobao from Japan, no need for a credit card and you get a small discount.
I've been asking colleagues to top up for me for about 8 months. They used to use taobao but made the switch to wx earlier this month. The process is really fast!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Today, Tencent relaxed its restrictions wrt foreign company Wechat accounts:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/cgi-bin/ann...=11&lang=zh_CN

This is good news for many of you -- who want to sell in China without having a Chinese entity.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today, Tencent relaxed its restrictions wrt foreign company Wechat accounts:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/cgi-bin/ann...=11&lang=zh_CN

This is good news for many of you -- who want to sell in China without having a Chinese entity.
We Chat is a great way to advertise your products or services. For now, however, the best and probably only smart bet for selling directly to China without having an entity here is to open a TMall Global account. Just ask Costco.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
We Chat is a great way to advertise your products or services. For now, however, the best and probably only smart bet for selling directly to China without having an entity here is to open a TMall Global account. Just ask Costco.
Your customers (past, present, future) don't browse Tmall unless you send them there. All of them are on Wechat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.