wechat(微信)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
The "FT People on WeChat" group
Our group chat is comprised of FT members and friends of FT members. We talk about pretty much anything except for politics (because Papa Bear has the ability to watch over us). The group has its own QR code, but it has a short shelf life (e.g. about 5 days), so I'm not including it here. The easiest way to join is to add me as a contact (moondogsh) and let me put you in the group.

Contacting Tencent Customer Support
If you want to get in touch with Tencent customer service (e.g. to update your passport number or change your name format so it aligns with your bank accounts), most web resources will advise you to simply message the "WeChat Team" contact. It is extremely difficult to get a human response when using this approach. Calling them also results in a bot experience.

However, the following drill works as of July 2022 (specific menu options can always change, of course; the key is getting yourself to step 5 below):
1. Dial 95716 (or +86 4009100100 from outside of China)
2. Select option 1 for personal accounts
3. Enter your connected phone number followed by #
3. Select option 2 for other questions
4. The bot will ask you to describe your issue using voice; just speak to it in English; it won't understand and will ask you to repeat 3-5 times before giving up
5. Now, the bot will give you ~8 menu options; through trial and error, I can state that option 7 is good for immediate transfer to a human (some of the others might work as well)
6. When the representative picks up, you definitely need to speak Chinese, but your request is presumably fairly easy to convey, and their responses are also pretty simple
7. They might want to move the conversation over to WeChat; this is okay because they will send you an invite to a special customer service queue, which is only ~60% automated
Print Wikipost

wechat(微信)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RJ77
Very interesting. Would you care to elaborate further esp. the look around feature. I'm a light user, using both Whatsapps and Wechat, thought they're pretty similar except that Wechat is a bit FB-ish, but then what do I know.
Look Around, now called "people nearby" is a function you enable that allows you to see anyone using we chat nearby you at that moment who has also enabled the "people nearby" function. You can then send a short message to them which can result in a conversation if they accept your message. It is basically a tool to pick up women or men as you can filter it by sex. Although moondog seems to know people who use "people nearby" for business reasons (i.e. in the HKIA lounge), the only people I know who use it are using it to find romantic liasions. Odds of success are around 99%if you're reasonably attractive or rich or charming.

People Nearby is just a small part of we chat, however. The functionality of we chat is much better than what's app and everyone of my friends in China who was a what's app user a year ago has switched completely to we chat. If Tencent can gain traction with this thing in Southeast Asia, Europe, and Latin America as well as in the States amongst the Chinese population I think we could be looking at the first Chinese App that truly goes global.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Although moondog seems to know people who use "people nearby" for business reasons (i.e. in the HKIA lounge), the only people I know who use it are using it to find romantic liasions.
Let's say you're in the vicinity of the GY and they happen to be hosting a meeting of the Shanghai Single Ladies Association, and Lilly sends you some pictures of the event in real time. Would you not stop by? This is just a small part of WX for business. When I return to Shanghai (hopefully very soon), I look forward to showing you some of the things we've done.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:19 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Look Around, now called "people nearby" is a function you enable that allows you to see anyone using we chat nearby you at that moment who has also enabled the "people nearby" function. .
Still shows : Look Around on site from here.

http://www.wechat.com/en/features.html#around
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Still shows : Look Around on site from here.

http://www.wechat.com/en/features.html#around
You need to upgrade to 5.0; then you will no longer see "look around".
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:11 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
You need to upgrade to 5.0; then you will no longer see "look around".
I think I need to move to a place where there are people. Can't find any people around here within … 1-2 km radius. Maybe a few coyotes.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
I-pad

The newer I-pads can also load we-chat. thus bigger pics !.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jiatong
The newer I-pads can also load we-chat. thus bigger pics !.
I use it on my computer because I hate typing on phones/tablets.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:17 am
Original Poster

If any of you want a walk through of our official account, please feel free to either shoot me a PM or add my personal account to your wx: moondogsh. I finally have most of the angles covered.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Still don't get the Look Around feature, how does one size each other up for BD apart from uhm.. looks or the lack of it?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Still don't get the Look Around feature, how does one size each other up for BD apart from uhm.. looks or the lack of it?
Do they have a cool picture, something interesting to say, and how are their moments?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is BD?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:10 am
Original Poster

http://www.techinasia.com/wechat-ven...bile-payments/
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
It appears the link is down.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Do they have a cool picture, something interesting to say, and how are their moments?
Some remotely "interesting" lines put up : "You'll Never Walk Alone", "I am not Casanova", "Life's not an option but fear is" and "looking for property agent".

What is BD?
Business development?

The Scan QR Code is useful for Japan and maybe Greater China. The Shake feature is uhmm...to find out who's shaking the cell phone at the same time with you, who could be 10,000 miles away. Moments is the FB-ish part of it which is what moondog is on about for the part on building business relationships?

Incidentally, just read that Alibaba is offering a competing product called
Laiwang that can do group chats with as many as 500 people.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Greetings, all.

I've finally wrapped my arms around "official accounts" and have the means to create sites for companies sans Chinese business licenses.

Check out howtochina, which I built entirely on my own. The only thing that's missing from it now is our form submission page. This is very important because, as of now, all form data is captured by a third party. I need one of my Chinese colleagues to devote 4 hours to this task tomorrow morning.

The bottom line is that if you are doing business in China, you must be on Wechat (access to 400 million customers).

Our prices start at Y1,500 and top out at Y6,000.

Off topic, howtochina is free for the next 30 days for 20 users; we are trying to optimize our system before turning up the volume. You will see us in the WSJ before Xmas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.