Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What regional, traditional, authentic Chinese dishes to try?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What regional, traditional, authentic Chinese dishes to try?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I can't wait to try many of these suggestions. Almost everything will be new for me. I printed out a list to take with me to the restaurants.

The only problem is that I have just 10 days and 1 stomach.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by travelbliss
I can't wait to try many of these suggestions. Almost everything will be new for me. I printed out a list to take with me to the restaurants.

The only problem is that I have just 10 days and 1 stomach.
So many food to try and so little time.

Be careful, many foodie who tried to try everything under the sky in China had to put up with the after-effects either by over indulgence, digestive system not use to the cooking styles or standards.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Pig intestine (tripe)
Tripe is actually more commonly beef stomach (牛肚)。 If you want pig intestine you can get either the large intestine (大肠) or the small (小肠). As for ducks, don't forget to try duck webbing/feet.

Originally Posted by jiejie
Fish lips.
Should we even dare tell him about chou doufu?
Well, lots of places in China love eating fish head, which includes everything including the lips (yes even the eye balls). Yes, you should try chou doufu. But should we tell him what it means in Chinese?

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
* Lanzhou la mian in all varieties 兰州拉面 (noodles and soup, it's fascinating to watch how they make spaghetti style noodles without tools)
Definitely should try. There is a great place in Shanghai near People's Square. PM me if you want to try this place.

Pig intestine (tripe)
Tripe is actually more commonly beef stomach (牛肚)。 If you want pig intestine you can get either the large intestine (大肠) or the small (小肠). As for ducks, don't forget to try duck webbing/feet.

Fish lips.
Should we even dare tell him about chou doufu?
Well, lots of places in China love eating fish head, which includes everything including the lips (yes even the eye balls). Yes, you should try chou doufu. But should we tell him what it means in Chinese?

* Hunan style stuff: Chou doufu (stinky Tofu), ganguo rou/ji (干锅肉 / 鸡, spicy chicken without sauce; "dry-woked chicken"), kao xue ya (炒血鸭 fried duck blood - delicious, really!)

* Deserts: Tang yuan (usually served during Chinese New Year's 汤圆, small balls filled with sesame, nuts, or beancurd), Pumpkin cake (nangua bing 南瓜餅).
While you can find chou doufu in many places in China, I thought it originated in Shanghai (or at least they claim to have the most authentic). Not that I have tried that many types myself.

Oh, and nangua bing (Simplified Chinese for small cake or bing 饼, more common in mainland China) has personally kept me 5 pounds heavier, delicious.

My personal recommendations:
PEK:
Roast Duck 烤鸭 - Goto Quanjude and/or DaDong. 3rd recommendation is 鸭王 (Ya Wang).
Sichuan - there is a famous Sichuan place where apparently all the Sichuan officials go there (supposedly they brought their best chefs along). I'll have to post the name/location later.
Lamb Hot Pot called Shuan Yang Rou (涮羊肉). Best place is right outside the south gate of Temple of Heaven. I only see locals there and all my local contacts always take me there.

PVG:
-Xiaolongbao 小笼包 - Should try the XLB at Nanxiang at YuYuan Garden, but lots of good places on the street. I can recommend a few places in Jing-An if you're interested.
-Though seemingly out of the OP's budget range, try the Hairy crabs if you're in town in the next month. Dazhaxie (大闸蟹). Likely at least around 200+ RMB/person though.
-Chou dou fu. Can't recommend where to go as I don't really know, but head to ZhangJiang Subway Station and you'll find lots on the street there.
-Lanzhou La Mian - People's Square, actually behind the Raffles mall/office complex
-If you like Cantonese in Shanghai, head to Jing-An where at the B1 level just outside the subway station (you're underground still) there is a restaurant called Long Ji (龙记). There is ALWAYS at least a 10 minute wait packed with mostly locals. Phenomenal place and perfectly in the OP's budget range.
-Need a break for western food, head to West Nanjing Road Subway station, exit the station and you'll find plenty of sorts like McD's, KFC, Subway, DQ, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and yes (I'm excited to go) Carl's Jr. The very best baker I've found in all of China is there (called Cafe 85) right on the shopping street. (Cafe 85 actually is a chain, but after sampling at least 6 stores in Shanghai this by FAR is the best and most fresh).
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Definitely should try. There is a great place in Shanghai near People's Square. PM me if you want to try this place.

While you can find chou doufu in many places in China, I thought it originated in Shanghai (or at least they claim to have the most authentic). Not that I have tried that many types myself.

Oh, and nangua bing (Simplified Chinese for small cake or bing 饼, more common in mainland China) has personally kept me 5 pounds heavier, delicious.

My personal recommendations:
PEK:
Roast Duck 烤鸭 - Goto Quanjude and/or DaDong. 3rd recommendation is 鸭王 (Ya Wang).
Sichuan - there is a famous Sichuan place where apparently all the Sichuan officials go there (supposedly they brought their best chefs along). I'll have to post the name/location later.
Lamb Hot Pot called Shuan Yang Rou (涮羊肉). Best place is right outside the south gate of Temple of Heaven. I only see locals there and all my local contacts always take me there.

PVG:
-Xiaolongbao 小笼包 - Should try the XLB at Nanxiang at YuYuan Garden, but lots of good places on the street. I can recommend a few places in Jing-An if you're interested.
-Though seemingly out of the OP's budget range, try the Hairy crabs if you're in town in the next month. Dazhaxie (大闸蟹). Likely at least around 200+ RMB/person though.
-Chou dou fu. Can't recommend where to go as I don't really know, but head to ZhangJiang Subway Station and you'll find lots on the street there.
-Lanzhou La Mian - People's Square, actually behind the Raffles mall/office complex
-If you like Cantonese in Shanghai, head to Jing-An where at the B1 level just outside the subway station (you're underground still) there is a restaurant called Long Ji (龙记). There is ALWAYS at least a 10 minute wait packed with mostly locals. Phenomenal place and perfectly in the OP's budget range.
-Need a break for western food, head to West Nanjing Road Subway station, exit the station and you'll find plenty of sorts like McD's, KFC, Subway, DQ, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and yes (I'm excited to go) Carl's Jr. The very best baker I've found in all of China is there (called Cafe 85) right on the shopping street. (Cafe 85 actually is a chain, but after sampling at least 6 stores in Shanghai this by FAR is the best and most fresh).

OOh! please post the name/locale of the sichuan place in beijing!

I love sichuan/hunan (the spicy stuff) and its not right that the best restaurant I have found is in HK, not the mainland! so Must give it a shot!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Deleted.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:55 am
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You are more likely to find dog and donkey in Beijing, at restaurants that serve up Dongbei (northeast) cooking. Usually in soups/stews. They are considered cold-weather dishes. But don't expect most local Chinese restaurants to have these things, as most native Beijingers don't eat dog or donkey. I haven't seen cat dishes up here. Not to say they don't exist, but I think you'd be more likely to find that in southern China.
Without getting into the philosophical questions, is dog/donkey/cat worth eating for a reason other than saying you did? Or does it just taste like chicken?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Without getting into the philosophical questions, is dog/donkey/cat worth eating for a reason other than saying you did? Or does it just taste like chicken?
Dog stew/soup tastes interesting and worth a try.

Donkey is not even that uncommon in old Europe (espec. around the (eastern) Mediterranean), beef/game taste.

Cat: Never eaten.

What you should be aware of is that -probably except for Guangzhou- all these things are not commonly found on menus in China. You need to look for a specific restaurant that serves such exotics. (Certainly except of the tourist-only stalls off Wangfujing in Beijing for seahorses, maggots & co)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:38 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by drewguy
Dog has medicinal value in winter. Its not bad tasting. Its kind of gross though
when you can hear the dogs barking in back of the restaurant. Well actually
real gross.

Donkey-Had this in Shanghai at Guizhou restaurant. Actually pretty good.

Cat- Refused the offer as I heard it tastes sour. Plus I don't think it has
any medicinal value.

Rat-Refused it in Guangdong provence, that's about as gross as you can get,
eating rats?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I think it would be safer to eat dog in Korea. AFAIK, stolen pet dogs often end up in cooking pots in China.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Dog has medicinal value in winter. Its not bad tasting. Its kind of gross though
when you can hear the dogs barking in back of the restaurant. Well actually
real gross.

Donkey-Had this in Shanghai at Guizhou restaurant. Actually pretty good.

Cat- Refused the offer as I heard it tastes sour. Plus I don't think it has
any medicinal value.

Rat-Refused it in Guangdong provence, that's about as gross as you can get,
eating rats?
I'd be more than happy to try dog and cat, just for the heck of it.

I've had donkey in Beijing. 驴肉火烧 (lv rou huo shao) is a traditional beijing dish (more like a roasted/marinated donkey sandwich - street style) and is absolutely fantastic.

I don't see why eating rat is different than say, eating pork. We know rats can be diseased, but pigs do kind of roll around in their own filth, like all the time...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:00 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I don't see why eating rat is different than say, eating pork. We know rats can be diseased, but pigs do kind of roll around in their own filth, like all the time...
From what I was told the rats aren't rice field rats, but they are sewer
rats. No short supply of those in Guangdong province.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:32 am

From what I was told the rats aren't rice field rats, but they are sewer
rats. No short supply of those in Guangdong province.
I didn't believe that until I actually 'baidu-ed' it! Officially, eating rats is prohibited (also in Guangzhou) and officials alert against eating them because of diseases.
Some stalls sold it to tackle their rat problem (=sewer rats).

Furthermore, rat and mice (these two are used synonymously) meat is considered toxic without any "benefits" for the body (except stopping hairloss).

Source: http://cq.qq.com/a/20100604/000193_1.htm

So don't eat it, but you'll probably won't find it anywhere excpet in the dodgiest corners...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Furthermore, rat and mice (these two are used synonymously) meat is considered toxic without any "benefits" for the body (except stopping hairloss).

Source: http://cq.qq.com/a/20100604/000193_1.htm
Like other odd animal organs, people in Asia will eat it for the benefit.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bbmatt
OOh! please post the name/locale of the sichuan place in beijing!

I love sichuan/hunan (the spicy stuff) and its not right that the best restaurant I have found is in HK, not the mainland! so Must give it a shot!
Ok, just found it, in Chinese:
四川驻北京办事处 - 餐厅
东城区建内大街贡院头条5号
65122277-6101

English:
Chuan Jing Ban Canting
Dongcheng Distruct, Jian Nei Da Dao, #5 Gong Yuan Tou Tiao
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Or you can try something not too exotic, but sounds scary enough: Husband and Wife Lung Slices

http://iloapp.europeansmeetchinese.c...w?Home&post=11

http://www.chinatravel.com/sichuan/c...fuqi-feipian)/

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...et-recipe.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.