Reload this Page >

Tour Operators

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour Operators

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Also, bring some disposable chopsticks with you in case if you go into a resturant that uses wood chopsticks instead of plastic chopsticks or disposable chopsticks. Wood chopsticks are like wood cutting blocks, it retains 'germs' in the wood grain even after it has been washed.
... although you won't die using wood chopsticks either. Just don't think about it...
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: various
I usually tuck a few pairs of disposable, or take my trusty plastic TWA chopsticks (purloined from that airline decades ago ). However, when confronted by the communal chopstick bucket of re-useables, the thing to do is pour a cup of boiling hot tea, and plunge the chopstick ends in there for about 30 seconds, before using. (Toss out tea and get a new cup for your drinking tea.) Not foolproof but helps a lot.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jiejie
I usually tuck a few pairs of disposable, or take my trusty plastic TWA chopsticks (purloined from that airline decades ago ). However, when confronted by the communal chopstick bucket of re-useables, the thing to do is pour a cup of boiling hot tea, and plunge the chopstick ends in there for about 30 seconds, before using. (Toss out tea and get a new cup for your drinking tea.) Not foolproof but helps a lot.
Another trick I learned from a local Chinese. Ask for vinegar and rinse your chopsticks/plates with vinegar. The acidity should help kill off any bugs.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Another trick I learned from a local Chinese. Ask for vinegar and rinse your chopsticks/plates with vinegar. The acidity should help kill off any bugs.
or (cheap) baijiu - kills everything. Including you, when you had too much
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
or (cheap) baijiu - kills everything. Including you, when you had too much
If you have a lot of Chinese baijiu, you can pretty much eat anything and what you eat will be the least of your worries. So in essence, 100% agree.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
... although you won't die using wood chopsticks either. Just don't think about it...
You are correct that you won't die but I don't want to spend the next day with diarrhea and/or other gastronomical\intestinal discomfort. On my last day of my first trip to China in 2001, we had a business meeting at a factory. They were cooking lunch in (more like on it) their parking lot…the next day; I made several trips to the lavatory on my flight back to SFO.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:45 am

other tours operator?

Do you know SMART TOURS? a friend recommend me them
Old May 20, 2011, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by gsforfree
A good friend of mine is looking to take a trip to China to celebrate his bar exam success in the Summer and I may join him.

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliable and reasonably priced tour operators?

We're looking at the typical Beijing and Shanghai, but any other good operators that will take us to other interesting places?

Thanks

do you know SMART TOUR? a friend recommend me them
Old May 20, 2011, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sangild
do you know SMART TOUR? a friend recommend me them
For $1000 all in (a smokin' deal ten years ago, let alone now), including a Beijing-Shanghai flight, I'd jump all over this... and plan on refraining from nearly all "tour" type activities. That having been said, be prepared to make alternate hotel arrangements; these guys won't be putting you up in the Park Hyatt.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by moondog
For $1000 all in (a smokin' deal ten years ago, let alone now), including a Beijing-Shanghai flight, I'd jump all over this... and plan on refraining from nearly all "tour" type activities. That having been said, be prepared to make alternate hotel arrangements; these guys won't be putting you up in the Park Hyatt.

so, you can trust them?
Old May 20, 2011, 8:45 am

so, you can trust them?
When offers like this pop up, you can throw "trust" out the window. Print out the stuff on their site, call them, and come to China. While the tour operator might be pissed when they knock on your door at 7a and you ignore them, that's not your problem.

In short, SFO-PEK-SFO routinely costs $1500 these days and PEK-PVG costs nearly $200. Based on these numbers alone, you're looking at $700 pp in savings. The tour company presumably makes its bank via gift shop visits and the like; that's not your problem.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by moondog
When offers like this pop up, you can throw "trust" out the window. Print out the stuff on their site, call them, and come to China. While the tour operator might be pissed when they knock on your door at 7a and you ignore them, that's not your problem.

In short, SFO-PEK-SFO routinely costs $1500 these days and PEK-PVG costs nearly $200. Based on these numbers alone, you're looking at $700 pp in savings. The tour company presumably makes its bank via gift shop visits and the like; that's not your problem.
but, do you know about smarttour?
Old May 23, 2011, 12:20 pm

but, do you know about smarttour?
smart tours
Old May 23, 2011, 3:22 pm

smart tours
I don't know a thing about them, but I know a good price when I see it. I would expect serious gift shop pressure all the way from arrival to departure, but: 1) I could be wrong; and 2) if your door is locked at 8a when they come knocking or if you simply aren't in your hotel, there's nothing they can do about... though you should check the terms and conditions to be sure. $1000 all inclusive vacations remind me of time share pitches in the US; the provider likely has ulterior motives, but determined souls can still come out on top by subjecting themselves to minor inconvenience. In case I'm not clear, the price alone suggests to me that the quality of the tours themselves is likely to be dreadful. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider taking them up on their offer, even just for the airplane tickets alone.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: various
smart tours
No, we don't know about smart tours. Try asking on Frommer's or Fodor's. At some point, without enough information, you have to take a risk.

Why are you asking here anyway? If a "friend" recommended them, don't you trust your friend more than you trust a bunch of strangers on Flyertalk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.