Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appeal Dismissed - July 9, 2009

The USA dismissed the appeal on their own motion. Perhaps they don't want an appellate record.

I guess they don't agree with Ron that this is a slam dunk appeal.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by Ari
The USA dismissed the appeal on their own motion. Perhaps they don't want an appellate record.

I guess they don't agree with Ron that this is a slam dunk appeal.
Link, please? (and not, obviously, to TSORon's spew)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Link, please? (and not, obviously, to TSORon's spew)
Because it is an order and not an opinion, it is only available on PACER. It reads as follows:

Case: 09-3668 Document: 00615597899 Filed: 07/08/2009 Page: 1

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT

United States of America,
Plaintiff-Appellant,
v. Sixth Circuit No. 09-3668
Fode Amadou Fofana,
Defendant-Appellee.

Plaintiff-Appellant’s Motion to Dismiss Appeal

Pursuant to Rule 42(b) of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure, Plaintiff-Appellant United States of America moves the Court to dismiss the above-captioned appeal.

Respectfully submitted,

GREGORY G. LOCKHART
United States Attorney

/s/
DANIEL A. BROWN (0023147)
Assistant United States Attorney
Attorney for Plaintiff
303 Marconi Boulevard
Suite 200
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 469-5715
Fax: (614) 469-5653
Dan.Brown @usdoj.gov
And . . .

Case: 09-3668 Document: 00615598513 Filed: 07/09/2009 Page: 1

Case No. 09-3668

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT

ORDER

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Plaintiff - Appellant
v.
FODE AMADOU FOFANA,
Defendant - Appellee

Upon consideration of the appellant's motion to voluntarily dismiss the appeal herein pursuant to Rule 42(b), Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure,

It is ORDERED that the motion is GRANTED and the appeal is dismissed.

ENTERED PURSUANT TO RULE 45(a),
RULES OF THE SIXTH CIRCUIT

/s/
Leonard Green, Clerk

Issued: July 09, 2009
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ari
Because it is an order and not an opinion, it is only available on PACER. It reads as follows:

And . . .
It would appear that the government folded like a cheap tent.

So we remember just what the government chose not to appeal, some choice excerpts from the District Court ruling.

Quite simply the Government failed to produce evidence from which this Court could conclude that
the search of Fofana's luggage was “no more extensive or intensive than necessary, in light of current
technology, to detect the presence of weapons or explosives;” or that the search was “confined in good
faith to that purpose.”FN4 Aukai, 497 F.3d at 962. As the Government bears the burden of establishing that a search was constitutional, that failure is outcome determinative and the Court must grant Fofana's Motion to Suppress.

. . .

The Court fully appreciates the “paramount importance” of preventing air piracy and terrorist attacks
on airplanes and the central role that TSA screening procedures play in ensuring passenger and aircraft
safety. See, e.g., Hartwell, 436 F.3d at 179 (collecting cases). In light of recent history, it cannot be seriously debated that the need for airport security searches is “particularly acute.” Edmond, 531 U.S. at
47-48.

. . .

Nevertheless, the Court is equally aware of the importance of the protection granted by the Fourth
Amendment and the fact that individuals have a privacy interest in the contents of their luggage. United States v. Place, 462 U.S. 696, 707 (1983) (“We have affirmed that a person possesses a privacy interest in the contents of personal luggage that is protected by the Fourth Amendment.”). As the Supreme Court recently stated, the “central concern underlying the Fourth Amendment” was about “giving police officers unbridled discretion to rummage at will among a person's private effects.” Arizona v. Grant, 129 S.Ct.1710, 1720 (2009). That concern is implicated if airport checkpoint searches are permitted to balloon from “narrowly defined searches for guns and explosives ... justified by the need for air traffic safety” into “generalized law enforcement search[es] of all passengers as a condition for boarding a commercial aircraft.”See $124,570 U.S. Currency, 873 F.2d at 1243. In other words, the need for heightened security does not render every conceivable checkpoint search procedure constitutionally reasonable. Id.
I wonder how the TSA kool-aid drinkers will try and spin this one.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:07 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
It would appear that the government folded like a cheap tent.

So we remember just what the government chose not to appeal, some choice excerpts from the District Court ruling.

I wonder how the TSA kool-aid drinkers will try and spin this one.
Is it possible that they didn't want to litigate Fofana and risk an appellate record while Bierfeldt is still in the District Court even though it wouldn't be binding president?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Ari
Is it possible that they didn't want to litigate Fofana and risk an appellate record while Bierfeldt is still in the District Court even though it wouldn't be binding president?
Cracks in the dam.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
My guess is that they simply didn't want to lose at the appellate level, and have it serve as binding in the entire Circuit.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that they simply didn't want to lose at the appellate level, and have it serve as binding in the entire Circuit.
So what are the implications, if any, for us regular folk, especially when going through a TSA checkpoint?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Sounds to me like Francine couldn't come up with an argument that would hold up under an appeal.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

My guess is they just don't want to lose period. Even I, as a layman, can see that the TSOs honesty completely destroyed their case to a point they can't fight back from it.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So what are the implications, if any, for us regular folk, especially when going through a TSA checkpoint?
If the TSA is smart, they will crack down on their TSOs stepping beyond their statutory limitation on the administrative search.

The TSA got lucky on Fofana because the guy was a "bad guy". If they step beyond their limitations on a "good guy" it opens both the agency and the TSO personally to some pretty heavy liability. (Remember the t-shirt guy)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Practically, in the short run, not much, I'm afraid - unless TSA, in a rare burst of sanity, decides to amend its checkpoint procedures so that they are consistent with the DC's finding in the case.

Now, if you are at an airport in the Southern District of Ohio, and TSA finds evidence of criminal conduct not related to aviation safety through an illegal administrative search as described in Fofana, you probably won't be prosecuted. So I guess you can carry your baggies of pot on board in that District.

Dropping the appeal minimizes the chances TSA will have to alter their procedures.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy
Sounds to me like Francine couldn't come up with an argument that would hold up under an appeal.
Maybe I should send her this link.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Maybe I should send her this link.
LOL nice! ^
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
If the TSA is smart, they will crack down on their TSOs stepping beyond their statutory limitation on the administrative search.

The TSA got lucky on Fofana because the guy was a "bad guy". If they step beyond their limitations on a "good guy" it opens both the agency and the TSO personally to some pretty heavy liability. (Remember the t-shirt guy)
I have no proof but I think that TSA has encouraged its screeners to go well beyond a normal administrative search.

There have been just to many comments from to many TSO's to not reach that conclusion. How many of these people all said that having $10,000 was illegal. Even the security expert TSORon made that claim as well as Kelly and others saying the same thing. They all crabbed when shown the truth but they did say it.

No, I think TSA unwritten policy of abuse of administrative searches goes well up the food chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.