Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Umm....no.

Laws are based on morality, not the other way around.
Correct. At some point look up the difference between malum in se and malum prohibitum. Smoking weed is not malum in se. In fact, a hundred years ago there were no marijuana laws, and no marijuana problem, either. The drug war grew out of the need to keep the federal prohibition agents employed. In that, it was a jobs program much like TSA.

Originally Posted by Deeg
Seriously? You don't feel the federal government has the authority to make and enforce drug laws? Good thing the Supreme Court disagrees!
The Supreme Court knows where their paychecks come from.

It required a constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol and another to rescind it. Without an amendment, the drug war is bogus.

And even without the amendment, we're seeing exactly the same effects today in this country that prohibition caused way back then. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Originally Posted by mikeef
Believe it or not, it may even be simpler than that. It seems to me that TSA "corporate" gives a lot of press to those who make "the big catch," whether it's a terrorist, someone with fake ID or drugs. I can understand why a TSO would potentially go over the line to make the big catch and reap whatever bounty, even if only some free publicity, comes with it.
Just look at all the horn tooting and back patting that came out of the confiscation of a home-brew battery pack, and that wasn't anywhere near a threat to aircraft safety (in fact it was within the FAR limits for such things).

And don't give me any guff about "voluntary surrender." When a sloped-forehead monobrow in a smurf suit snarls "do you want to fly today?" ain't nothing "voluntary" about it.

Last edited by Cholula; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:41 pm Reason: Merging multiple, successive posts
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by n4zhg
At some point look up the difference between malum in se and malum prohibitum. Smoking weed is not malum in se.
One is wrong because it's inherently bad, and the other is wrong because it's prohibited. But either way...it's wrong.

(Finally...all those Latin classes paid off!)
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pmocek
First, this wasn't about breaking the law, it was about using drugs (something that almost everyone does) or associating with people who use drugs. The former is sometimes illegal; the latter is not. I still maintain that neither has any bearing on one's qualifications to hold a security clearance.
So - are you saying that the disregard for obeying the law - even if it is a law you consider to be unjust - is not something to be taken into account when deciding to give someone a security clearance?

Funny, I always thought the measure of one's character matters.....
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: United
One is wrong because it's inherently bad, and the other is wrong because it's prohibited. But either way...it's wrong.

(Finally...all those Latin classes paid off!)
I just Googled it. No Latin class needed.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by halls120
So - are you saying that the disregard for obeying the law - even if it is a law you consider to be unjust - is not something to be taken into account when deciding to give someone a security clearance?

Funny, I always thought the measure of one's character matters.....
You do know that the biggest thing they are looking for with a security clearance is not if you have obeyed every law your whole life, but if you have something that can be used as blackmail against you. Right?

For instance, if you smoked a joint when you were in college they won't care so long as you admit it during the process.
If however they find it out on their own then it is a problem.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:15 pm

You do know that the biggest thing they are looking for with a security clearance is not if you have obeyed every law your whole life, but if you have something that can be used as blackmail against you. Right?
To be complete, there are a few other factors that are considered. By Executive Order, those include:

-allegiance to the US
-foreign influence or preference
-financial considerations
-alcohol/drug use
-criminal behavior
-psychiatric problems

Blackmail is a big one. But espionage and simple greed also need to be considered. As well as the fact that people's inhibitions tend to be lowered by alcohol and drugs.

For instance, if you smoked a joint when you were in college they won't care so long as you admit it during the process.
Very true. They did give me mine, after all.

Last edited by Deeg; Jun 25, 2009 at 7:23 pm Reason: misplaced apostrophe
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:36 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
As I said before, in most states, traffic violations such as speeding are not arrestable.
I was under the impression that committing enough simultaneous violations can result in arrest (AFAIK) in many states (one is the threshold in TX, upheld by the SCOTUS recently). Around here all I have to do is watch a police car drive to see such examples (e.g. last night driving down a one way street in the absence of an emergency, running a stop sign, and not wearing a seat belt).

You are wrong about the threshold for driving under the influence of controlled substances in Illinois. In fact, the statute is very clear. 625 ILCS 5/11-501 only criminalizes it if the driver is under the influence "to a degree that renders the person incapable of safely driving".
Then Jesse White should change his website, which is very clear: "It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on Illinois highways with any trace of a controlled drug, substance, cannabis (marijuana) or intoxicating compounds in your blood."
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is only one part of the process.

If however they find it out on their own then it is a problem.
If you smoked occasionally and it was at least 5 years ago, yes. Habitual use, you not only won't get a clearance, in many instances you won't get a job.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:15 pm

Ah. If you're talking about the illegal use of drugs, then you are correct. Any amount will suffice. See 625 ILCS 5/11-501(a)(6):

there is any amount of a drug, substance, or compound in the person's breath, blood, or urine resulting from the unlawful use or consumption of cannabis listed in the Cannabis Control Act, a controlled substance listed in the Illinois Controlled Substances Act, an intoxicating compound listed in the Use of Intoxicating Compounds Act, or methamphetamine as listed in the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act.
...but you said anyone "legally taking a controlled substance". This section of law only applies to illegal use.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:36 pm

Ah. If you're talking about the illegal use of drugs, then you are correct. Any amount will suffice. See 625 ILCS 5/11-501(a)(6):

...but you said anyone "legally taking a controlled substance". This section of law only applies to illegal use.
What I quoted came directly from Mr. Jesse White's (sorry, the Illinois' Secretary of State's) office. It is quite unambiguous, yet incorrect (I will take you at your word), in saying that operating a car on IL highways with any "controlled drug" in your blood is illegal. "Controlled drug" includes legally prescribed controlled substances. It's sad that those entrusted with testing and licensing drivers cannot even correctly understand or describe the laws that apply to the actions that they license, yet be so proud as to put their name and face to the incorrect description of the law (laws that directly relate to TS/S).

I guess this puts the TSA screeners' all-too-frequent misunderstanding of their own rules into perspective.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
My view is that it's fine to "take it into account" as long as it doesn't result in an automatic decline in the sorts of cases we're talking about (responsible recreational use in the past).

Last edited by RichardKenner; Jun 25, 2009 at 10:49 pm Reason: Remove OBE stuff
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ND Sol

You've trained your TSO's to tell the difference if an iPod does or does not contain illegally downloaded material? That was the premise of the issue raised.

Perhaps someone does need to "try again."
The analogy is flawed anyway, copyright infringement is a civil matter.

(unless we want to debate wether TSO's can summon the RIAA and MPAA?)
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by mattm00se
The analogy is flawed anyway, copyright infringement is a civil matter.
So are all those "FBI Warnings" on DVDs lies?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ralfp
So are all those "FBI Warnings" on DVDs lies?
I guess I should've been more specific, straight possession of copyrighted materials is a civil matter.

I guess technically the tsa could think you were a MP3 mule and carrying ipods around for commercial distribution, which could be a crime.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:14 pm

link to related information on IDP blog

The Identity Project discussed this case in a recent post: "Courts and Congress finally start to rein in the TSA"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.