Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nsx
I thought the purpose of this thread was to share opinions, and that the OP's choice of a protest method was not above constructive criticism. You obviously disagree.

Does TS&S have special rules I never heard of? Or do you have Flyertalk confused with other message boards where the party line is enforced by running off everyone who disagrees? On those boards, everyone who wants to read and participate in intelligent, balanced debate eventually gets fed up with the inanity and leaves, with the result being an echo chamber. It's Gresham's Law of message boards.
Well-stated posts, rich with information and thoughtfully-informed opinions, full of character (and characters), operating under the rules of FT, are what make this board worthwhile. Of course we're not going to always agree, but I don't think FT has a snowball's chance in Singapore of becoming anything like a party line message board. There are still people who will "act out", challenge the party-line, and do so effectively -- just like was observed in the OP. They'll even post on FT.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Be a good little sheeple and show your papers.

He who would give up freedom for a little security deserves neither.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:33 pm

Programs: Worldperks Silver Elite
Originally Posted by robyng
I am a lawyer.
This does not surprise me, as most lawyers do not bother themselves to actually read the law.
Yes - people have first amendment rights. However they do not have any constitutional right to board an airplane. They can be subjected to any amount of security measures before doing so.
While it is true that there is no right secured by the constitution (not constitutional right) to board an aircraft, there is a statutory right recognized by CONgress: 49 USC 40101(c)(2)
(c) General Safety Considerations.— In carrying out subpart III of this part and those provisions of subpart IV applicable in carrying out subpart III, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall consider the following matters:
(2) the public right of freedom of transit through the navigable airspace.
First amendment rights aren't absolute. For example - you can't get a required driver's license picture while your face is covered (real first amendment case involving a Muslim woman trying to get a driver's license in Florida and claiming religious first amendment rights).
Nothing is absolute, except for the assertion by pro-government extremists that my essential liberty has to take a back seat to your temporary safety.
As a traveler these days - I think anyone who thinks it's "cute" to pull this kind of garbage deserves whatever he gets - and those of us who are held up in security lines because of these morons are entitled to be pissed. In the end - what was the point of all of this? Sounds like something a bunch of fraternity kids would do if they're drunk on a Saturday night. Robyn
We hold the line between right and wrong. You have obviously abdicated that responsibility. The reality is that we are less safe than we were when we were "allowed" to carry our personal arms on board an aircraft. Please tell me when the incidence of air piracy began, and its relationship to the federal regulations removing from us our right to protect our lives by disarming us on aircraft.
P.S. Which is not to say that I approve of current TSA screening. I think there should be profiling - and extreme examination of persons who fit certain profiles. But the kind of nonsense described in this thread doesn't do anything to enhance security or minimize waiting times for those going through security.
If 10% of the people on board flights were carrying personal arms, there never would have been a 9/11. I am an expert marksman and would not have missed at 25 feet. The TSA cannot protect anyone. They cannot guarantee anyone's safety. The only purpose of the TSA is to create the illusion of safety. I would be far safer if we could again carry our personal arms with us on board our flights. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the citizenry to protect this nation. Why abdicate that responsibility to anyone else?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
If you're "dying to know", how about saving your life by reading the answers to your questions that are clearly articulated in the 1348 posts before yours?

I gave up reading after the first 3 pages of nonsense and have no intention of boring myself with the "oh you should contact the media and the ACLU and your rights were violated.... blah blah blah" You see I stumbled upon this page as I was reseaching Logical Fallacies for a graduate course. The application of critical thinking is clearly not at use by most on this board. Mr. Bird's comments about Kip Hawley the individual are a bright and shining example of Ad Hominem. It shall make a great day of discussion in class tomorrow. Mr. Bird's personal attack on Hawley and all of you playing into it show just how screwed up this world is. Fight the real fight which is people breaking and challenging the rules. You want Hawley's job show me your qualifications and your plan but until then you'll not get the consideration of my listening to any complaint with ZERO solutions put forth.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 2smrt4u
I'm dying to know why so many of you think it is OK to square off with TSA screeners and the like. Have any of you ever given any merit to the fact that these people are just as sick and tired of the crap that people deal them everyday as you are of the crap you have to go through to board a plane? I'm personally offended when people just for the basis of making a political statement engage in these silly exchanges with screeners. I can assure you that you are much more of a pain to them than they could ever be to anyone of us. If you don't want to be given extra attention at the check point, then don't give them reasons to be suspicious of you or your actions. It is highly hypocritical of you to think that you shouldn't have to follow the rules just because you don't like them. I'll bet you'd think much differently if your teenager told you he didn't like your rule about drugs and did them anyway. I'm quite certain that if you lost a loved one on 9/11 you'd feel a little different about extra safety precautions... even as inconvenient or seemingly idiotic as the may be for you. The 9/11 terrorists didn't put the box cutters in their checked baggage. Be thankful that there is more scrutiny and stop being so selfish.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would not characterize what happened as "a square off with the TSA", if only because of the connotations that such a phrase has. The TSA employees decided to make an issue of some constitutionally-protected writings on a plastic bag. If the TSA employees are sick and tired of the nonsense, then why did they take issue with a passenger's constitutionally-protected writing?

You also mention rules. The passenger in MKE was not breaking any rules. The rule-breaking, if any, was perpetrated by the government actors, who were acting in a manner not consistent with the highest law of the land -- namely the Constitution, which has that "disruptive" First Amendment. Don't like the First Amendment and the rights we have memorialized therein? Then try to amend it. Until you succeed, the Constitution is still the law of the land.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: TSA Platinum
I gave up reading after the first 3 pages of nonsense and have no intention of boring myself with the "oh you should contact the media and the ACLU and your rights were violated.... blah blah blah" You see I stumbled upon this page as I was reseaching Logical Fallacies for a graduate course. The application of critical thinking is clearly not at use by most on this board. Mr. Bird's comments about Kip Hawley the individual are a bright and shining example of Ad Hominem. It shall make a great day of discussion in class tomorrow. Mr. Bird's personal attack on Hawley and all of you playing into it show just how screwed up this world is. Fight the real fight which is people breaking and challenging the rules. You want Hawley's job show me your qualifications and your plan but until then you'll not get the consideration of my listening to any complaint with ZERO solutions put forth.
Non-sense and boring yourself huh?

Well you haven't made your mind off this issue, eh?

I've read all the pages of the posts so far, as to understand all the opinions / views involved.

It's clear to me that you've already made your mind up long before reading any of the posts here, and nothing will change your mind.

It's okay to come here to spout off, but please do state the facts that your'e doing so than pretend you're here to do research.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
THIS + THIS + THAT
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
As I have said before: History has shown repeatedly that, while ordinary nations can be destroyed from the outside, empires and superpowers are only destroyed from the inside; every chip knocked off our constitution and bill of rights by those in power helps to bring down our nation.
See my tag line. It's a quote by Abraham Lincoln (slightly modified to fit within the 125 character limit).
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RgnadKzin
Nothing is absolute, except for the assertion by pro-government extremists that my essential liberty has to take a back seat to your temporary safety.
There was a poster here a long time ago that had as his tagline "Don't you date trade my safety for your empty-headed principles."

Sounds familiar.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now THAT doesn't sound very academic. Obviously, if you're looking for research material and you're coming here for it, it'd be foolish to turn down such a repository that would support your thesis on logical fallacies, eh?

At least in my graduate school, they teach about critical thinking and having an open mind to various sides of an argument. Does yours not teach that?

Super
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You also mention rules. The passenger in MKE was not breaking any rules. The rule-breaking, if any, was perpetrated by the government actors, who were acting in a manner not consistent with the highest law of the land -- namely the Constitution, which has that "disruptive" First Amendment. Don't like the First Amendment and the rights we have memorialized therein? Then try to amend it. Until you succeed, the Constitution is still the law of the land.

Please spare me the psychobable of Constitutional Rights. You'd be removed from my house if you came in here talking trash about me, you can say what you want but you can't do it in my house. This would apply in most any setting. I can make you leave and you can do nothing about it, you are not protected by the constitution if you go into someone else's "house" and attempt to discredit or smear their name. Bird was protesting the rules and he did it by trying to smear Hawley's name. He may not have broken the rules at this incident but he clearly gave screeners the impression that he'd be willing to. It is what it is, he thinks that because he is a "normal" passenger that he is exempt from the rules, this kind of thinking will ensure he is treated like a common criminal.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:02 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Welcome to Flyertalk! ^

Out of curiosity, what are you studying in graduate school? Why is "Logical Fallacies" capitalized?

Okay, on topic: what is wrong with people "challenging the rules" (the line I bolded)? People have been challenging all sorts of rules since time immemorial and should continue to challenge rules and laws they believe to be unjust. What you're suggesting is blind obedience to authority, which is wholly un-American and completely antithetical to our way of life. Would you champion security screenings for anyone boarding a bus or train or for any personal vehicle crossing a bridge or entering a tunnel with equal fervor? Where do we draw the line?

The OP wrote five words on a piece of plastic - the screener was the one acting on behalf of the government and tried to prohibit that expression. Other posts have described the "chilling effect" this action had and how that action was therefore unconstitutional. I won't rehash their arguments here. Suffice it say that responses like yours, the "shut up, sit down, and don't rock the boat" responses, are truly frightening.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please spare me the psychobable of Constitutional Rights. You'd be removed from my house if you came in here talking trash about me, you can say what you want but you can't do it in my house. This would apply in most any setting. I can make you leave and you can do nothing about it, you are not protected by the constitution if you go into someone else's "house" and attempt to discredit or smear their name. Bird was protesting the rules and he did it by trying to smear Hawley's name. He may not have broken the rules at this incident but he clearly gave screeners the impression that he'd be willing to. It is what it is, he thinks that because he is a "normal" passenger that he is exempt from the rules, this kind of thinking will ensure he is treated like a common criminal.
The Constitution is psychobabble? Who died and made you Dear Leader? Or are you living in North Korea?

In a private setting, sure, you can say what you want and kick someone else out if you don't like it.

Hawley is a public official. He can be ridiculed per the first amendment. Much like someone can say Bush/Clinton/Kennedy/yourleastfavoritepolitician is an idiot. It goes with the territory. If they can't take it, then politics isn't for them.

The airport is a public venue and not someone's house. Therefore, the first amendment stands.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:04 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
The difference is that you're a private citizen. In your home, you can do more or less as you please. The TSA screener, OTOH, is a government employee and, when on the job, speaks for Uncle Sam and enforces his policies. The government, more than any other entity, cannot prohibit the free expression of its citizens.

That's the issue here.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
He may not have broken the rules at this incident but he clearly gave screeners the impression that he'd be willing to.
In a police state that is a crime. In America it is not supposed to be. (when I'm driving, if I step on the accellerator, even if I am below the speed limit, I could be giving the impression that I'm willing to exceed the speed limit).

He did not break any rules. The screener and supervisor very clearly did break the rules.

Do your research. This has all been explained many times in this thread. The analogy of your home doesn't apply- that is a case of individual property rights. This is a very clear case of the first amendment, of goverment agents persecuting someone for having a political opinion with which they disagreed. (and it is the FIRST amendment because our founding fathers considered it the most important).

I know the constitution and bill of rights are pesky nuisances, but at the moment they are still the law of the land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.