Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by doctall41
Does this thread hold the FT record for the most visits?
It was 4th all time last I checked (according to a mod). Probably a record for this particular forum within FT though.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
studentff, I understand how the lighter ban came into being but we are talking about the security implication. The majority of lighters are not even a threat but you have to try and make bans logical, as much as possible. It is the law abiding citizen that always has his rights restricted. Why can't you drive 100 mph and drunk if you don't cause a wreck? because not everyone can do it and by having the rule it allows some chance to stop the person out to do harm. If you ban the lighters then a terrorist has to decide of the risk his operation failing because someone gets lucky and sees the lighter outweighs other options or he decides success is remote. think back to teh millenium bomber. No one usually was inspected crossing on the ferry but he was. Also since we know that people still get through security with guns, do we not ban guns on flights? the reason we ban them is that because if they are banned and checked for it is impossible to assume you will succeed. If there is a chance to be caught then a whole cell can be rolled up. Again all that a true security system can do is make the chance to succeed hard to quantify. If someone really wants to do serious damage he will not waste his effort unless he thinks he can succeed.

and on medicine and baby formula. Both of them are chanced to be inspected and baby formula is the least likely to be a consistency of the various explosives. Also even the palestinian or tamil female sucicide bombers have not carried out an attack with a baby. A new mother sucicide bomber is highly, I repeat highly unlikely as an attacker. I don't understand your contention that we should have no rules unless all possible items are covered.

again I do not agree with many of the rules but saying we should have none is nonsensical.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Superguy
It was 4th all time last I checked (according to a mod). Probably a record for this particular forum within FT though.

Fourth sounds right. This thread with 447K views is far and away the leader. And this thread with 357K views is in 2nd place.
But you're also right that this thread is a record for the TS/S Forum.

Now returning you to the debate at hand......
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by robvberg
If you ban the lighters then a terrorist has to decide of the risk his operation failing because someone gets lucky and sees the lighter outweighs other options or he decides success is remote. think back to teh millenium bomber. No one usually was inspected crossing on the ferry but he was. Also since we know that people still get through security with guns, do we not ban guns on flights? the reason we ban them is that because if they are banned and checked for it is impossible to assume you will succeed.
Competent airport security using just metal detectors and x-rays can almost certainly detect guns with a greater than 90% success rate. Banning guns thus makes sense because it 1) enhances security, and 2) is enforcable. Edit: In addition, the number of harmless everyday items carried by passengers that can be mistaken for guns is vanishingly small, so the gun ban doesn't create a torrent of false positives.

Security cannot detect lighters or toothpaste with anything near that success rate (either in the carry on bag or on one's person according to reports on FT). My position is that banning an object that will have a very low detection rate by security does nothing but annoy law-abiding citizens and reduce their respect for security. Pick an arbitrary "low" detection rate--60%, 50%, 10%, whatever--the effect is the same.

Banning everyday household items (toothpaste, water bottles, the inevitable clothing ban, etc.) or instituing silly requirements like freedom bags also makes it harder to distinguish real bad guys from annoyed travelers because it encourages annoyed travelers to engage in bad-guy-like behavior. (smuggling shampoo)

Terrorist deterrance by random searches for real threats is a separate issue. In the case of the millenium-bomber, a random search caught him at the border with an actual threatening object. Using a random search to catch the lighter or toothpaste of someone who has no ill intent is not a "big catch." "Catching" a guy making protected speech about his opinion of the security theater described above (i.e., the OP) is not a "big catch."

Last edited by studentff; Oct 3, 2006 at 9:46 am Reason: added text in bold
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
When you start talking about deterrence, then you have to think about deterrence theory. In sociology, deterrence theory says that in order for deterrence to actually work, you must have three key components: certainty, severity, and celerity (or swiftness). So, theoretically, in order to deter criminals from committing criminal acts, they must believe that they WILL be captured quickly and that the punishment WILL be severe.

In our current system, we have none of these elements-
The punishment for crimes in this country is anything but swift- so celerity is out.

And severity? If you attempt to take contraband on-board, it will be taken away from you. Your punishment? No shampoo for you! Or, your inconvenience and expense in procuring skin care products at your destination.

Finally, with random searches, you might get caught or you might not. How many banned items were taken aboard during the total liquid ban? Seems like I've seen a bunch of posts here saying it's happened a lot. However, on the reverse side, for a terrorist, it might be the lack of certainty FOR getting stuff on board that might deter them, simply because, as someone previously stated, the lack of certainty in achieving their goal might be enough to deter.

I'm just not sure how much deterrence factors in, at least theoretically.

Back to packing for tomorrow...

GG
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by MKEbound
I will be useing the exact same baggie.
make sure you have a little tape recorder that's "ON" so what gets done will document. I don't tempt things much because usually i'm a little bite late and where I'm going there is only 1 flight per day and not every day

I agree with most of your assessments - EXCEPT for 1 - they should allow FACTORY SEALED containers (liquid, whatever) - I mean it's absolutely silly to ban CANNED soda pop unless I somehow have access to the canning plant. "Bottles" OTOH, can be emptied and refilled without breaking the plastic sela (or those sealing caps can be obtained) Liquor bottles can't be opened without exidence. So I wonder if my LUNCH will upset them?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:04 pm

First liquid bombs are definitely possible. I don't know what chemists you are referring to but it is easy to point out that true nitro is a liquid. I also had several instructors that were in special forces up through the late 80's. All of the team engineers were trained in making explosives from various chemical bases. Now where most experts agree is that it is difficult to work with these types and that nitro was abandoned generally because of the danger and death caused by its instability. Several types of breaching explosives have been developed and tested by the military that would look very close to a toothpaste.
And we might be able to engineer flying monkeys. Liquid explosives are down the list of possible terrorist scenarios on planes. Why can't the TSA look at a risk managment aspect to this? As you say, the "terrorists have looked at risk/cost/reward of your 'plan'," so why can't the TSA?

There have been several bombings in cargo holds. No one knows for sure exactly how many and how they were activated. Yet why have we not seen more? most were back in the 80's. the answer is that it is not really that easy. I mean come on, why do you think that they Al Qaeda tried to launch its first spectacular bombing plot out of manila like they did. They knew that it is easier to bring down the plane with an explosive in the cabin, with a timer than it is any other way. the Libyans used a states capabilities and its intel/government assests to do Locerbie and the french plane. there are too many things that can not be plotted when terrorists have looked at risk/cost/reward of your 'plan'.
Nobody knows exactly how many cargo hold bombings or how they were activated? That is a scary thought given how much money has been spent in the area. And we have seen only one day on which commercial airplanes were hijacked and used as guided missiles into buildings and that was over five years ago. So that must be difficult as well, so we don't need to worry about it.
Could some of your or my suggestions be effective, of course but if you were assigned the job of coming up with security policies like you outlined above. I could together an terrorist Op much easier than I could under the present system.
I have to disagree strongly with this. The present system is Kabuki security. Metal detectors, x-ray machines and explosive detectors are what are needed. SSSS, shoe carnival, baggie carnival, etc. are white noise.

Lastly an answer about lighters. A lighter especially some of the blow torch(survival) style lighters could ignite explosives that would not be possible with matches. A match is not a hot enough or steady enough flame for causing a detonation. So what would be your solution? tell inspectors to let through simple bic lighters but inspect and pull out highend lighters from the simple lighters. How does that simplify the process?
Before Congress passed the law in question, the TSA must have thought they were able to distinguish lighters since torch lighters have long been prohibited.

Are you also saying that there is nothing that I can take on board that I can light with a match and would burn hot enough and steady enough to light an explosive? How about magnesium as a possible example.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aircraft engineer
make sure you have a little tape recorder that's "ON" so what gets done will document.
I'd make sure that's in compliance with state law before doing that. That's why I recommend "eyewitnesses".
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
Competent airport security using just metal detectors and x-rays can almost certainly detect guns with a greater than 90% success rate. Banning guns thus makes sense because it 1) enhances security, and 2) is enforcable. Edit: In addition, the number of harmless everyday items carried by passengers that can be mistaken for guns is vanishingly small, so the gun ban doesn't create a torrent of false positives.

Terrorist deterrance by random searches for real threats is a separate issue. In the case of the millenium-bomber, a random search caught him at the border with an actual threatening object. Using a random search to catch the lighter or toothpaste of someone who has no ill intent is not a "big catch." "Catching" a guy making protected speech about his opinion of the security theater described above (i.e., the OP) is not a "big catch."
actually you are wrong in both cases. The published and unpublished success rate on guns through security is amazingly low. There have been post TSA attempts that I think were in the a couple of catches out of 12+ airports tested. The reason is that there has always been a trade off between convience and threat. It is still very hard, even with the distinctive shape of a gun to run the scanners and not miss things. People day dream and make mistakes, but again the chance even 10% is what the terrorist has to plot against. Even 10% is huge and that is why the 9-11 hijackers very carefully did not violate the rules at that time. Some were looked at because of knives but they were within proscribed legnths. Actually a single gun is not that big a threat, especially now with the rule being pilots don't obey their demands.

Lastly the millnium bomber was not caught because of any random search or alert. He was caught because he acted nervous and was out of place. Just as MKE was out of place in a different way, when he had marked up his baggy. I don't do this for a living anymore but I have more time to keep current then many military and police CT personel. You can argue about any specific rule and I disagree with many. But someone has to make policy and after some terrorists worked on liquid bomb ideas. that is a bigger threat than someone putting in a bomb in the hold with an altimeter based detonator.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
There have been several bombings in cargo holds. No one knows for sure exactly how many...
Of course they do*. You think this stuff goes unnoticed ?

http://aviation-safety.net/database/....php?Event=SEB although it includes bombs in a few other places too.

* OK, excluding the Soviet Union and China who until quite recently didn't tell anyone.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
When you start talking about deterrence, then you have to think about deterrence theory. In sociology, deterrence theory says that in order for deterrence to actually work, you must have three key components: certainty, severity, and celerity (or swiftness).

I'm just not sure how much deterrence factors in, at least theoretically.

Back to packing for tomorrow...

GG
look theory is not complete and you know it. Here is not a case of detering an attack because they are willing and in some cases want to die. You deter the attack because the planners only have limited resources and do not want to waste them. Therefore you make sure you plan for maximum success. Therefore you will make plans that do not break rules if possible. Also you do not need to through every person against the wall for a violation. But if you see someone who fits a profile and becomes nervous or distant when you take something. They will look more closely. Just as MKE doing something unusual caused several people to be involved. Unusual stands out.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:22 pm

You can argue about any specific rule and I disagree with many. But someone has to make policy and after some terrorists worked on liquid bomb ideas. that is a bigger threat than someone putting in a bomb in the hold with an altimeter based detonator.
Then why hasn't the "liquid bomb" threat been given more importance since it actually accomplished an explosion a decade ago as opposed to the London one, which really appears to be a non-event vis-a-vis domestic US travel?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Of course they do*. You think this stuff goes unnoticed ?

http://aviation-safety.net/database/....php?Event=SEB although it includes bombs in a few other places too.

* OK, excluding the Soviet Union and China who until quite recently didn't tell anyone.
actually that is not complete. There are other planes that have disappeared that they are unsure what the cause was. I mentioned the main ones that we know for sure, to dispute that if it was easy to do and the most serious risk. then many more of these bombings would have occured. Again my arguement is that it is not easy to do even if you include the attacks that have not been attributed.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Mke, much of what you say is partially correct but you are wrong about many things. I don't have time to go point by point but I wrote alot right after 9-11 about keejerk response from congress and the press. First liquid bombs are definitely possible. I don't know what chemists you are referring to but it is easy to point out that true nitro is a liquid. I also had several instructors that were in special forces up through the late 80's. All of the team engineers were trained in making explosives from various chemical bases. Now where most experts agree is that it is difficult to work with these types and that nitro was abandoned generally because of the danger and death caused by its instability. Several types of breaching explosives have been developed and tested by the military that would look very close to a toothpaste. The three ounce limit is nonsense except, they needed to choose a limit. You could always ..... about the limit they choose but they had to choose an amount.
This is not the first time someone has said something along the lines of "I've seen liquid explosives that look just like a water bottle and will bring down a plane". However, no one has yet said if those will, or will not, alarm the ETD. Nitro certainly would (and would be about impossible to carry as well), but what about the others that are known? The TATP discussed (in the press) in relation to the London plot involved acetone and sulfuric acid, which should also be easily detectable.

It's not looks to the eye that should matter, it should be looks to the ETD.

jon
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Jammer, I personally, have a lot more to do on this earth and would not rather have it cut short by boarding another Flight 93. Sorry, if you don't agree.
No, I don't agree. If you want to live with your fears, please feel free to move to a country that has a Constitutional policy or tradition of placing safety, security or compliance ahead of freedom and liberty. This country shouldn't be it.

Giving up freedoms, you say? These freedoms are exactly how the terrorists managed to knock down two towers in NY on 9/11, etc, etc. They used our freedoms. I'm all for freedom and feel we have plenty of it with the help of the ACLU, blah, blah, blah...but now people like our near and dear OP are starting to get cocky about it.
Oh come on. This is one of the most ludicrous things I have read on FT since someone said we should drill for oil in my Everglades. Terrorists used freedoms to knock down the WTC?? How about coming back to reality. Terrorists used boxcutters and an out of date aviation policy that required compliance with hijackers in order to seize control of these aircraft. In addition, they used a loose and poorly run visa and immigration system to overstay their visit. They also got lucky with a stack of intelligence failures that contributed to their slipping through our fingers before launching their deadly deed. I don't recall them using "freedom" or "liberty" or "privacy" to manage their operation.

It makes me sick to see that people are saying on this forum to tell the ACLU. The ACLU is the organization that is wanting to give the terrorists rights. Terrorists don't have any rights in this country. Period.
Sorry...now *this* is the most ludicrous thing I read on FT. The ACLU empowers terrorists??

Again, I say, pranks and immaturity do not belong at screening areas at airports....but you'll be able to find the OP's "quoted" baggie T-shirt for sale on e-bay in the next few weeks. Now that's freedom.
So people shouldn't express their personal opinions at airports? Do you agree that TSA screeners should confiscate toiletries labeled "F.C.U.K" (after the UK retailer)? Should someone be detained because their TShirt has Arabic lettering? How about arresting people who have "Impeach Bush" on their TShirt?

Might I suggest you take a trip to Washington DC and avail yourself of the opportunity to visit our National Archives and have a looksee at our Constitution and Declaration of Independence while also perusing the writings of Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, and George Washington, among others. Men who knew that Liberty was worth defending more than their lives. You might learn something from their experience and knowledge.

Like, for example, not peeing on MY liberty because it interferes with your personal need to feel safe (while not actually being safe).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.