Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
People like you bother me. You're all about your rights being looked after, but when someone else expresses concern over THEIR rights, you seem to think you are more important. Maybe some people in this country feel it's not infringing on their liberty to enact some of the security measures that you so vehemently oppose. What makes you're point of view so special? I'll tell you, nothing. Freedoms apply in many different forms and many different ways. I feel that my freedom is being protected if they SSSSSearch the Arab looking guy or pull aside the guy with the practical joke. That's my constitutional right.
Your rights under the Constitution don't include trampling upon the constitutional rights of other. If you don't like the Constitution, there are several options for you, including trying to lobby to change it. Good luck.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I never said "harass", you added that in there. Harassing is not a synonym for detaining or observing. THAT is NOT contrary to the law of the U.S. -- FACT!
Detaining without cause, or detaining based soley on race or appearance without other supporting cause *is* both harassment and illegal. Many civil rights lawsuits have been filed against many a police organization because of this - and many police organizations have been hit with rather large punitive judgements to 'encourage' them to knock it off.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes. Quite simply because your viewpoint advocates infringing upon my rights, which you have no right to do.
My point exactly. You only care about yourself.
If you want to volunteer your rights, offer your bags and person for additional screening, open your trunk for every cop who asks...
Son, you must really have a different dictionary that I do. None of the things described are a volunteering of your rights.
I will continue to protect my rights (and yours), regardless of your desire to give them up. I will continue to protect the rights of others whom you would like to see have fewer rights.
I don't need you to be my superhero thank you. You aren't protecting anyones rights, including mine, you are actually hampering my effort to just live my life as I please.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I never said "harass", you added that in there. Harassing is not a synonym for detaining or observing. THAT is NOT contrary to the law of the U.S. -- FACT!
So if everytime person A wants to fly they get their bags opened and inspected, a pat down, etc -- that is NOT harassing, in your opinion? That person gets stopped more often on the street, for traffic stops, etc because of the color of their skin? (btw, there have been police depts that have gotten into trouble when they do this with regards to blacks/af americans) -- but you're saying it's okay. What exactly is that to those people? That person does not have the same freedom of movement that you do, and is very possibly the same as you in terms of american citizenship. Why does he have to give up anything? Because his skin is a different shade? Because he wears funny clothes?

Listen to yourself -- that is called RACIST and until recently was wholly and totally unacceptable in this country. Recently, the administration has been inviting the "fear" factor in and encourages people to be afraid -- that is not what this "melting pot" of a country is all about. And believe me, if you actually fell into that 'suspect' category, you would absolutely consider it HARASSMENT.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:53 pm

Detaining without cause, or detaining based soley on race or appearance without other supporting cause *is* both harassment and illegal. Many civil rights lawsuits have been filed against many a police organization because of this - and many police organizations have been hit with rather large punitive judgements to 'encourage' them to knock it off.
So in your world, a clean cut white guy who is driving around a known drug area shouldn't be pulled over and questioned?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Actually, the poor guy was sent to Syria -- where he was tortured -- for about a year!

Bruce
Yes, and not the only one.

In Syria they detain people for writing down political opinions like the OP's "Kip Hawley is an idiot" and hassle them in exactly the way evident in the OP. In America, I don't welcome an imitation of Syria's regime.

Those who support a Syrian-type regime can either try to immigrate to a land ruled by dictators and/or a single party, or they can fight at home against the Constitution. I hope those who fight against the Constitution as it stands today lose. Freedom to criticize "the rulers" is a fundamental American value.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
And believe me, if you actually fell into that 'suspect' category, you would absolutely consider it HARASSMENT.
1. I do
2. No I don't
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in your world, a clean cut white guy who is driving around a known drug area shouldn't be pulled over and questioned?
Better yet - he CANNOT be pulled over if there is no cause. That is what this is all about and you seem to be missing.

I'm no lawyer but I do know that.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:55 pm
Suspended

What does this have to do with the incident in the OP? The OP was not detained because of drugs and/or ethnicity; he was detained because some power-abusing government employee acted like the political thought police. [Driving through or in "known drug area" does not rise to the standard of probable cause. If it did, a good number of US government employees -- including up to the top -- in the DC-area would be "at risk".]

Do I have to expect that the discussion is going to center around dishonest word-games and bringing up items that have nothing to do with the OP's circumstances?

It's about freedom of speech, the right to criticize public officials and state-sponsored nonsense.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 3, 2006 at 4:06 pm
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. I do
2. No I don't
I just noticed your location is Northern S. Africa ... are you an american citizen living over there? visiting? How often are you actually in the states?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Not until he does something more suspiscous than driving thru the area.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Actually, detaining without probable cause is almost the definition of harassing -- and it is illegal in the U.S.

Bruce
Exactly; detention without probable cause as evidenced in the OP certainly falls under the category of harassment. But that won't put an end to the dishonest word games.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by robvberg
A bomb in a pressurized cabin will have more effect than the same bomb in a random spot in the hold.
No. Because it is much easier to get a 50 kilo bomb in the cargo hold than a 1 kilo bomb in the pressurized cabin. (and, if you fail to get it on board, the risk factor of getting caught with the cargo bomb is significantly smaller, so you can try again next week).

That certainly tilts the balance.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
A very unstable liquid that would likely explode in sufficient quantity long before the terrorists arrived at the airport.

Plenty of experts have already written about how difficult, nay impossible it would have been for these people to carry out the mission they were accused of. Unless they happened to invent something that no weapons manufacturer has yet to discover, the amount, quantity, type and equipment needed to mix sufficient explosives to bring down an airliner would have been quite an amazing undertaking.

Pardon me, but let's not even try to discount the threat of cargo based explosives. These have been used on a number of occassions, in addition to the two you cite. How many attempts are either enough or too few to validate the threat? How about the Air India jet that was brought down due to cargo/baggage explosives. How about the Air India jet that got off easy when the bagbomb intended for it went off in the NRT transfer room when a poor Japanese baggage handler accidently dropped it - otherwise it would have been loaded on its connecting flight - an Air India jet.

This is the same incorrect logic that dismisses out of hand the threat from ground based missile weapons. It just amazes me how everyone still thinks in 9/11 mode - a terrorist threat has to be delivered in person by a terrorist onboard an aircraft to be valid.

I have spent plenty of time studying and writing about aviation security while getting my aviation degrees with flight, airport and airline management concentrations. I studied with world renowned academic and professional people with extensive global experience who affirmed and molded my beliefs. Frankly, airports remain swiss cheese from a security perspective. From passenger screening to baggage/cargo to catering to cleaners to through-the-fence ops, down to the perimeter fence itself - there is no way to fully protect and assure a secure aviation infrastructure. By placing 98% of the threat emphasis on passengers at the screening checkpoint, the government is not doing anything realistic to protect anyone, but rather using politics and showmanship to put the security emphasis where it can be seen and experienced by people. Making them feel safe. Showing them something is being done. Yet in actuality, very little is being done...simply because it's impossible to fully and absolutely protect an airport or aircraft. The government refuses to introduce the concept of 'risk management' to the public for fear of a backlash. The public demands absolutes - but delivery such is impossible. I won't even get into the chemical plants and ports whose security has been crippled by the government's almost psychotic need to pander to or influence voter opinion by throwing all its resources at the passenger checkpoint.

How does sorting out 3oz from 4oz simplify the process? It doesn't. I can't imagine anyone thinking it logical or possible to bring an industrial lighter or torch of anykind with them in the passenger cabin. Forget the security issue - it's a safety issue having any concentration of explosive or flammable liquids or material in the cabin, or on the aircraft at all for that matter. Signs prohibiting such items have been in place since I started flying as a child - they are not new.

Banning Bic lighters and matches is a stupid knee-jerk reaction used for political pandering. Keeping true incindiary items off aircraft (some of them should not be in checked bags either) is a safety issue that should be enforced by the FAA and NTSB who must direct the TSA to screen for specific items and adopt FAA mandated limits on what can and cannot be taken onboard or even be included in checked baggage.
Look, I agree with you on knee jerk responses. Creating a federal force after 9-11 was something that I railed against here in flyertalk before and after the passage. You are more than correct about there being other threats, and other ways to mess with air transport. Many of those threats are less likely and can only be solved by agencies outside of aviation security. Especially as Al Qaeda is more fractured and broken into smaller less capable cells. The threat of a sophisticated altimeter based bomb is much less likely than an operative that is helped by someone who pased through a jihadi camp several years ago with some type of bomb they attempt to sneak on the plane.
Yes cargo based bombs like the air india one is a threat. The reason more people have not tried the air india style attack is that it is so hard to make sure a specific package is in the air at a specific time if sent as standard air cargo. you first say you want logical and balanced responses, but knowing that there have been few and too be honest less loss of life from bombings than from either crashes or a 9-11 style hijacking. Actually I don't know the total but with persons lost during rescue attempts, regular hijackings have probably had as many people killed as the three main air bombing. It would be close.
Next the small survival style lighters were never stopped by security and if specifically banned prior to the new rules, I was never bothered even when they pulled it out overseas and I know it was looked at once when I had a knife that was looked at in the early 90s. It was about 3.5-4 inch blade. Slightly longer than allowed but they passed me through. The lighter, knife, compass etc were all in a small od pouch for use in my day bag.

lastly talk about knee jerk, if we want to blow alot of money for very, very minute threats from all but a state sponsored attack. Go and out fit aircraft with defenses against SAMs. First small shoulder fired are not great against big planes flying straight courses. There have been successful attacks against the soviets by US supported afgans, by other state sponsored rebels in combat zones. Mainly against smaller cargo planes and other military craft. But in Iraq there have been many firings at planes and the worse was an engine destroyed on a big fedex? I think cargo plane. there have been 1-2 in saudi arabia unsuccessful, there was kenya with 2 missiles launched unsuccessful. Many reasons. First it is a skill like shooting. Not easy, takes some practice and specific knowledge. Usually need a state sponsor as a trainer to succeed. Next the stingers and the new russian copy have specialized batteries. the stingers from the afgan was are great wall decorations but you will not take down a plane with one today. newer stingers are accounted for. Next while the older sam 7 and other copies are floating in large numbers, they need to be bought, transported and the operator also bought to the location of the attack. Not easy at all no matter what TV movies say. the feds and overseas intel people are running sting operations all of the time. There is a trial starting in new york shortly on someone how said he could aquire them for sale. If you are flying into an area with combat going on, you have a small risk. In the center of the US the risk unless it is a foriegn government operaion. lower than any other major risk. And sadly one that will not be countered by anything that an airport/airline could do.
While several companies want to sell countering devices. None are proven, all would be multi billion initial cost, plus very expensive continuing maintenance costs. Next the only somewhat proven ones launch flares and require quick radical actions by the pilots. I am not sure what would be better. Being in the flight path during one of the many times flares are launched by a false positive or being in the air as a pilot tries to do radical manuevers at low altitude in congested air space. Until the technologies improve dramatically. the solutions for a limited threat. Because you also have to remember that the team that stages the attack has to be assumed will be captured and more of your assets rolled up.
Again all I am saying is that while the current system is way from perfect. I am not sure that anyone can come up with a system that is better. We are definitely facing much less capable groups and so we will see much more limited ops against non air assests like london, madrid and russia. that said the attacks that will be attempted against the air will more likely be things that they try to sneak on in some way or shape or are stashed into a secure area via food service, or maintenance and then carried on by a cleared passenger. That seems the weakest areas based on threats out there. All of the other threats are easily possible but much more likely to fail by current groups and definitely on a cost ratio more knee jerk than the current flawed response.

I wish someone with time would look back and see if after 9-11, how many of the people complaining now asked for the TSA legislation. I swear atleast some of the people complaining now said I was an idiot for thinking it could be a airport/private company function.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
No. Because it is much easier to get a 50 kilo bomb in the cargo hold than a 1 kilo bomb in the pressurized cabin.
Not to mention that the cargo hold is pressurized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.