Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silence is NOT Golden at the Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Oh no not ANOTHER troll.
They are multiplying like rats.

Mike
</font>

More like ants actually

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Troll ???

What is your major malfunction numb nuts ?

Lowering yourself to the very "rats" you speak of ?

</font>
This is the person whose qusetions I am to answer at the airport? I don't think so. If your training taught you that silence is suspicious when you ask stupid questions then I am even more convinced that what I see is true .. security is a farce ... just a show for those easily fooled by smoke and mirrors. Enjoy your job while you have it and by all means, keep evacuating terminals .. these events are noticed and publicized and eventually, even the non-flying public will realize what a joke this is.

Verbal interaction is not needed, nor is it required, at the checkpoint. All that is required is that I do what is necessary to make sure I don't beep when walking through the metal detector. If I need to answer questions, then you **** well better spell out what they are on the TSA website. Most of us our tired of the inconsistancy found from airport to airport. Get a process and follow it. Don't publish guidelines to the public of what to expect at the airport and then subject them to more when they arrive. The less interaction I have with screeners, the happier I and they will be. I will say this once more ... the TSA decided we didn't have to answer stupid questions when checking in and we sure shouldn't be subjected to more at the checkpoint.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 03-20-2003).]
Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:36 pm

dupe

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 03-20-2003).]
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Oh no not ANOTHER troll.
They are multiplying like rats.

Mike
</font>
Woah Mike, no need for the name calling. I have done nothing to you. My opinions are just as valid as yours, but let's try and keep it constructive.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
This is the person whose qusetions I am to answer at the airport? I don't think so. If your training taught you that silence is suspicious when you ask stupid questions then I am even more convinced that what I see is true .. security is a farce ... just a show for those easily fooled by smoke and mirrors. Enjoy your job while you have it and by all means, keep evacuating terminals .. these events are noticed and publicized and eventually, even the non-flying public will realize what a joke this is.

Verbal interaction is not needed, nor is it required, at the checkpoint. All that is required is that I do what is necessary to make sure I don't beep when walking through the metal detector. If I need to answer questions, then you **** well better spell out what they are on the TSA website. Most of us our tired of the inconsistancy found from airport to airport. Get a process and follow it. Don't publish guidelines to the public of what to expect at the airport and then subject them to more when they arrive. The less interaction I have with screeners, the happier I and they will be. I will say this once more ... the TSA decided we didn't have to answer stupid questions when checking in and we sure shouldn't be subjected to more at the checkpoint.

</font>
Why do you consider screeners asking you if you have removed your laptop, etc. stupid questions? Not everyone flys on a daily basis and has no idea what to remove, etc. Secondly, I would hardly consider airport security a "joke" or "farce". It can only go as far as the U.S. constitution will let it go. If folks wanted drop dead security, there would surely be some extremely oppressive rules and regulations adopted and enforced. Currently, it's not even close. As far as your idea of TSA posting questions for travelers on the website, that just will not work. Every conversation is unique and not everyone has the same questions. There is no way to anticipate what someone will say or answer when it comes to various questions that may or may not get asked. And remember, questions are just that, questions. You don't have to go into great detail about every facet of your life, just a simple yes or no works. Not to mention its just plain good manners. They do have a process, and it is evolving. Congress legislated some very vague and generalized statutory guidelines which are subjected to daily interpretation. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but since each situation is unique there is a degree of latitude to be expected. Again, thanks for the dialogue.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1P
jailer1, welcome to flyertalk. You have such an inviting and comforting screen name!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K wannabe:
jailer1, welcome to flyertalk. You have such an inviting and comforting screen name!</font>
Don't be afraid! I worked in a correctional facility until I retired last year. Somehow that is about the only part of that career I still want to hold on to!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:54 am
Suspended

If you dont like the proceedure then dont fly. You obviously feel you are different to everyone else and conforming to what is there for a good reason is obviously not your cup of tea.

I would imagine your company is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

You desreve what you get and manners cost nothing.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Did they run out of apostrophes in Scotland?

Bruce
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jailer1:
Why do you consider screeners asking you if you have removed your laptop, etc. stupid questions? </font>
Bruce wasn't even carrying a laptop, thus, a stupid question.

------------------
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Did they run out of apostrophes in Scotland?

Bruce
</font>

Old Mar 21, 2003, 9:20 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Tough haggis. The current security experience is unacceptable and I will continue to both fly (today, in fact) and complain about the idiocy of the system in this medium and in other media. Don't like reading it? Feel free to scroll past my posts or go jump in the lake.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ewan Mebabe:
If you dont like the proceedure then dont fly. You obviously feel you are different to everyone else and conforming to what is there for a good reason is obviously not your cup of tea.

I would imagine your company is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

You desreve what you get and manners cost nothing.
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 21, 2003, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No, no. You mean the loch.

Bruce
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Bruce wasn't even carrying a laptop, thus, a stupid question.

</font>
Ok, he had no laptop, but it seems to me that the speech they give to everybody contains many elements. They ask if you have removed any laptops, metallic objects, cell phones, pagers and a host of other items. I still fail to see where these qualify as "stupid" questions since they are aimed at getting people through the metal detector without it going off which, in my opinion, is helpful. Now, if you are a business traveler and travel every day I can see where this might get old, but they don't know that. And again I still come back to why be deliberately discourteous to another person based on their employment alone? I don't know about most folks, but I for one am not that quick to judge others. Anywho, gotta run. Good day to you all and I will catch you later on tonight!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 5:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jailer1:
Ok, he had no laptop, but it seems to me that the speech they give to everybody contains many elements. They ask if you have removed any laptops, metallic objects, cell phones, pagers and a host of other items. I still fail to see where these qualify as "stupid" questions since they are aimed at getting people through the metal detector without it going off which, in my opinion, is helpful. Now, if you are a business traveler and travel every day I can see where this might get old, but they don't know that. And again I still come back to why be deliberately discourteous to another person based on their employment alone? I don't know about most folks, but I for one am not that quick to judge others. Anywho, gotta run. Good day to you all and I will catch you later on tonight!</font>
Fine. If it is going to be the same questions asked repeatedly without any intelligence interjected at all, all for the purpose of reminding people what the signs say, then they might as well make a recording of it and play it continuously while you are in line. The message gets through and no one has to respond. Not to mention there would be one less screener required at the checkpoints

Again, if these are just rote questions then the screener obviously isn't actually trying to spot suspicious behavior if he doesn't even notice someone isn't carrying a laptop before asking for it to be removed. This guy was just on a power trip. It had nothing to do with Bruce acting suspiciously.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.