Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silence is NOT Golden at the Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2003, 6:37 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
Bruce, the screener thought you were acting suspicious and he acted on that. Now, does that make him right? Not necessarily, but he could always explain it away by saying he was doing "continuous" screening. From my recent travels, I have not seen any more of that since newer, more sensitive, walk through metal detectors have been installed that pick out so many that they could not pick anymore at random. I have also seen screeners go out of their way to try to get people through without setting it off, only to be ignored or argued with. </font>

Since when are screeners trained in what determines "suspicious" behavior? He pulled him aside for one reason and that was because Bruce didn't play his power game. And yes, it was a game. We have to follow procedures that the TSA has spelled out quite clearly at the checkpoints. Answering questions about whether we have done so isn't on the list. The metal detector will give them their answers.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:11 am

YOU can't tell when someone is acting suspiciously? I sure can, and without any training. As I said, do I think the screener was right? Probably not, but Bruce did not help matters either.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
But I didn't "DO" anything. I was just silent.</font>
Didn't the screener ask you a simple question ? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to give him/her a simple answer ? By your silence, you were just looking for the response you received. I guess you were envoking your 5th amendment right.

[This message has been edited by TakeScissorsAway (edited 03-19-2003).]
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Actually, silence is easier than answering. And, now that you mention it, I do have a Constitutional right to remain silent when questioned by law-enforcement personnel (which may or may not include the TSA -- an interesting question).

But the bottom line remains the same: I set off no alarms. All my metal went through the x-ray machine. Nobody had any interest in my bag. Yet I was pulled aside for a totally useless wanding -- which everyone knew in advance would be useless -- just because I chose to be quiet. This contributes to security? How? Seems like harassment to me -- and a TSA employee on a power trip.

Bruce
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
But the bottom line remains the same: I set off no alarms. All my metal went through the x-ray machine. Nobody had any interest in my bag. Yet I was pulled aside for a totally useless wanding -- which everyone knew in advance would be useless -- just because I chose to be quiet. This contributes to security? How? Seems like harassment to me -- and a TSA employee on a power trip.</font>
Bruce, your statement is most likely true, even though we only have your side of this yarn.

As I've stated before, we are just human, and act accordingly.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Fair enough! I appreciate the honest response -- really!!!

Bruce
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:23 am

Bruce
</font>
As always, your truely welcome.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
JPT, just like I said, you trivialized it. That "I can handle those guys!" line.</font>
You moan about our complaints, and when one of us is willing to get up and do something about it, you say that we're trivializing the issue. You're starting to contradict yourself.

Don't you get it? The security is there so that does NOT happen again.</font>
I don't believe that our present security CAN stop it from happening again. In any event, why would terrorists pick airplanes? IMO, they're more likely to pick bridges or reservoirs, or something else lightly guarded/unguarded.

It's actually you who's trivializing the issue -- you're focusing on airline security to the exclusion of security in other areas. As I said, you need to get a sense of perspective.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.

Bruce
</font>
I agree. This shows a great deal of character on Take's part. Good on ya, Take.

Just for informational purposes, could Take perhaps tell us what policy is regarding the handling of hearing-impaired pax? If it's not a hush-hush thing, I mean.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 2:51 pm

Actually, silence is easier than answering. And, now that you mention it, I do have a Constitutional right to remain silent when questioned by law-enforcement personnel (which may or may not include the TSA -- an interesting question).

But the bottom line remains the same: I set off no alarms. All my metal went through the x-ray machine. Nobody had any interest in my bag. Yet I was pulled aside for a totally useless wanding -- which everyone knew in advance would be useless -- just because I chose to be quiet. This contributes to security? How? Seems like harassment to me -- and a TSA employee on a power trip.

Bruce
</font>
The TSA does not discriminate in it's screening, maybe he kinda liked you in a silent way

[This message has been edited by tsadude (edited 03-19-2003).]
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Didn't the screener ask you a simple question ? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to give him/her a simple answer ? By your silence, you were just looking for the response you received. I guess you were envoking your 5th amendment right. </font>
We spent several years answering stupid questions the airlines were forced to ask us. There is no reason why we should subject ourselves to the same idiocy when it is unmandated. You want us to answer your questions? Then do what is needed to make it as mandatory as the previous questions were and make sure to be consistant about it everywhere. Otherwise, STFU and just listen to hear if we beep.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
We spent several years answering stupid questions the airlines were forced to ask us. There is no reason why we should subject ourselves to the same idiocy when it is unmandated. You want us to answer your questions? Then do what is needed to make it as mandatory as the previous questions were and make sure to be consistant about it everywhere. Otherwise, STFU and just listen to hear if we beep.

</font>
DAUUM, did I hit a nerve ??

Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:52 pm

Tazi,

"We spent several years answering stupid questions the airlines were forced to ask us. There is no reason why we should subject ourselves to the same idiocy when it is unmandated. You want us to answer your questions? Then do what is needed to make it as mandatory as the previous questions were and make sure to be consistant about it everywhere. Otherwise, STFU and just listen to hear if we beep."

No need to post stuff like "STFU" here. Verbal interaction at the checkpoint is needed. If you choose not to talk, you are setting yourself apart from the "average passenger." Yes, screeners are taught to observe people's actions and responses. If the majority of passengers participate in some type of rudimentary communication, and along comes someone who offers none, the screener will pick up on that. I hope you can see through your anger and get the bigger picture here. However, you are entitled to your opinion, and I will respect that.

Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Oh no not ANOTHER troll.
They are multiplying like rats.

Mike
Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Oh no not ANOTHER troll.
They are multiplying like rats.
</font>
Troll ???

What is your major malfunction numb nuts ?

Lowering yourself to the very "rats" you speak of ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.