Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silence is NOT Golden at the Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2003, 9:11 am

No, I don't support everything about it, but neither do I protest what I don't like so vociferously. Higher security is a necessary evil that we must all live with as the world has certainly changed in the past 2 years. In time the threat will subside and things will get back to not quite what they were, but on a more subdued level.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:32 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Higher Security might be a "Necessary Evil", btu that is NOT what the TSA provides.

The TSA provides "Window Dressing".
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
In time the threat will subside and things will get back to not quite what they were, but on a more subdued level.</font>
That's right . . . in time, we'll get to Condition Blue, at which point the Department of Homeland Security and TSA will be shut down. The terrorists will take their ball and go home, and things will be "back to normal."

SGM
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'd like to see that happen regardless of whatever threat level we happen to be at.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarGoldmember:
That's right . . . in time, we'll get to Condition Blue, at which point the Department of Homeland Security and TSA will be shut down.</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
JPT, people with hearing impairments tend to go out of their way to inform security personnel that they have such a disability.</font>
Which is why I pointed out that I do it. However, you can't make assumptions based on appearances, and the ADA is quite clear on that point.

Bruce was WRONG and there is no getting around that.</font>
Had Bruce been hearing-impaired, the TSA agent would have committed a Federal offense. There is no getting around that.

Federal offense indeed.</font>
Indeed.

I long for the day when guys like you drive and flying becomes civil again.</font>
What makes you think that I'm the one making flying uncivil? Seems to me we were all getting along just fine until 9/11 and the advent of the Pointy Things Brigade.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
No, I don't support everything about it, but neither do I protest what I don't like so vociferously.</font>
If you don't exercise your freedom of speech, that's not my concern. Neither should it be your concern if I exercise mine.

Higher security is a necessary evil</font>
Stop right there, Cowboy -- no one here (except perhaps Spiff) is arguing against the need for security. Most of us are for security, but are arguing against certain practices and mindsets that appear to be operating in the security community that in our opinions, have no reasonable use or function.

You might agree with everything the TSA does, but you can't reasonably expect everyone to agree with you.

Oh, yes, and I disagree that a majority of the traveling public agrees with the TSA's policies and procedures. There is no hard evidence to support that contention.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarGoldmember:
That's right . . . in time, we'll get to Condition Blue, at which point the Department of Homeland Security and TSA will be shut down.</font>
Well, at least they have the graphic ready to go . . .

http://www.dhs.gov/dhs/images/dhs-advisory-low.gif

SGM
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a late-comer to this thread -- sorry.

Bruce -- Good on you!

I've played the silence game a few times and it really makes them nervous. I wrote a note on another thread in which I said that that the TSA and the public have successfully turned the airport security debate from "security" versus "civil liberties" into one of "compliance" versus " making our flights on time." I'm like you -- the US Constitution is more important to me than making my flight on time. The TSA and the airport cops can't deal with that.

FYI -- I was in Staples the other day and was looking at the 5-pack of white board markers. Compare the colors of terrorism levels to the 5 colors in the package of markers. Really, really scary...
Old Mar 17, 2003, 8:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
This afternoon, I flew from DCA to LGA. I got to the airport plenty early, and the number of passengers was very small (late Saturday afternoon). So, I checked in at a kiosk and proceeded to the security checkpoint in my usual way: all metal in my carry-on bag, shoes on the belt, etc. I'm alone.

The TSA guy asked if I had removed my laptop from my bag. Well, I don't have a laptop, so I just ignored him. Then he asked if I had removed all the metal from my pockets. Again, I knew I had, but he would see for himself soon enough when I walked through the magnetometer. So I remained silent.

After my bags entered the gaping maw of the x-ray machine, I walked through the magnetometer. Not a peep, of course. So, I headed to pick up my bags.

Not so fast! The TSA guy steps in front of me and says, "Please step over here for additional screening." I protest that the machine didn't beep. He agrees but says (yes, these are his exact words), "You are acting suspicious by not answering my questions. We need to examine you more closely." I ask for a supervisor, but it does no good. (The supervisor is dumber than the first guy.)

So I get wanded, uncooperatively, of course. They call a cop who says that they are only doing this for my safety. I tell him that's baloney, and he gets all pushy like cops occasionally do. I remind him that this is America, where we still can speak freely. Keep in mind, I'm the ONLY traveler there. I'm not holding up anybody!!!

Cop's final words to me are, "You better go get on your plane before I decide to call someone who will make you drive." Oooh, I'm so scared! The terrorists have clearly won.

Bruce
</font>
Just out of curiousity, why would you do this ? Were you just "in a mood" that day ? Did you think that "maybe this will change the TSA practices" ?
Sorry Bruce, but it seems to me you got what you were asking for.

Old Mar 17, 2003, 8:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
So a guy has had a hard day and doesn't feel much like talking to anyone. Now he's become an uncooperative terrorist threat? This TSA action is waaaaaaaaaaay overboard, and reminds me of those small town police chiefs who rule the town with their own set of iron fist rules. "Don't mess with me, buddy, 'cause I can put you away for a good, long time - ya hear?"

And we all thought the maffia was gone. Looks like the bosses found a new home - and it's all in the name of 'security' ... you know, bad things can happen if you don't make that security payment.

GMF
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P
This will pass eventually. These are the high points, the greatest most powerful days in the lives of the employees of the TSA. This is their greatest level of importance and achievement--the closest they will get to being the top cop or green beret. Times will change; and they'll go back to flipping burgers, driving delivery trucks, walking mall security and remembering the power they once abused because we their victims (and their ultimate bosses) will make the changes, fire them and send them back to jobs for which they are truly qualified.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 3:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K wannabe:
This will pass eventually.</font>
While I agree, this proves that the current TSA is no more than a public relations machine. Great security comes with the consistency of doing something because it makes sense - because it makes flying safer, and reduces risk in a way that doesn't severely impact honest travellers. Not in doing things because they're in-trend, or because the public wants to "see something" being done - especially when what's being done is simply an attempted panacea with no logic behind itself.

SGM
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:24 am

Yeah, the number of vociferous complainers like you is very small and pretty much limited to this forum. I seriously doubt that the loss of you few will do any real damage. I, like the VAST majority of business travellers don't have much of a problem with the TSA. It is only you "violating my civil rights" crowd that really complains. I fly every week with other business travellers and never hear complaints coming from them. Me thinks you protest too much.</font>
I wonder if that is true. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I went on a cruise out of Charleston. We decided to drive (over 800 miles one way) rather than fly because of the hassle factor with so much luggage and all the screening etc. When we arrived, we were amazed at the number of people who also drove. There were folks from Minnesota, Michigan, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas; virtually everyone within a thousand miles or so drove. The pier has a parking garage that holds 800 cars, it was more than half full. In talking with fellow cruisers, all of them who drove cited the hassle factor, airline attitudes and TSA as reasons for driving. Furthermore, almost all (except those close in) said they had always flown in the past.
We've cruised for years and have never seen such a high percentage of drivers. I think that the number of people driving as opposed to flying has drastically increased and it goes way beyond your contention that "the number of vociferous complainers like you is very small and pretty much limited to this forum. I seriously doubt that the loss of you few will do any real damage."
I believe there is a lot of damage being done and the airlines themselves as well as the TSA can take credit for it.
Business travellers pretty much have to fly, others don't. Take heart though, at this rate you can have the plane all to yourself and buy your peanuts and lunch and pay your fines and fees for trying to get a convenient flight without interference from the recreational travelers. Won't that be dandy? Of course the airlines will by then have added a new fee called the empty plane fee which will assess all unused seat fares to those who are actually flying.

Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:48 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Just out of curiousity, why would you do this ? Were you just "in a mood" that day ? Did you think that "maybe this will change the TSA practices" ?
Sorry Bruce, but it seems to me you got what you were asking for.

</font>

If a TSA screener asked me if I had taken my laptop out of my bag and I wasn't even carrying one, I'd be very unlikely to respond myself. They airlines stopped asking us stupid questions. We certainly don't need to be asked even stupider ones by a TSA screener trying to act busy.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The airlines themselves are VERY concerned about the hassle factor driving away travelers. Look at congressional testimony from Leo Mullin (Delta), for instance. This effect of TSA nonsense is not merely a figment of our imaginations.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.