Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels Passport Sticker Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I fly through FRA often and have never seen a separate line for J vs anyone else. Everybody queues up on the right and waits in line with no effort made to separate the lines based on cabin or status.
Was just through there and it was only one line which moved fairly quickly. We actually got ours first and then went back to the LH lounge to chill which I'm glad we did this way since the wife got snagged for full probing experience in the screening area off to the side.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:34 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Pre-Covid, I never saw more than one line. But the more annoying thing was that they issued the stickers at a different gate some distance away from the actual departure gate. Why on earth? If you didn't happen to spot the sign on your way from lounge to gate, you would miss your flight, guaranteed.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Seems a couple of people have seen the double line and a few haven't. No rhyme or reason. Maybe weekday vs weekend. I'm flying through FRA this weekend (I normally go through weekdays). Will see again if they have the separate lines or not.

-RM
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Try flying out of Munich, there’s the total goat rodeo.

Hit the US area “where are you going?”
“San Francisco”
points me to middle moving walkway
get to end of walkway, sticker questions. I pass the test. “Go ahead”
Start walking towards the next flogging. Two guys standing off to the side “What did they say to you!?”
me: <very confused look> “I’m sorry?”
guys: “What did they say to you!?”
<more confused look>
<German stare>
”Go ahead?”
Germans smile and chuckle “ok, go ahead”
Get to x-ray and nude-o-scope. Dismantle carefully packed bags and selected ensemble
X-ray organizer picks up my travel folio and starts leafing though the old boarding passes sticking out of the pocket on the back (without asking or saying a word)
”what do you need?”
<keeps leafing>
”Do you need my boarding pass? It’s not in there, it’s on my phone”
(can’t remember if I dug out my phone for this or not)
Wait an eternity for bags to move (German efficiency is a myth)
4 of 5 bins selected for secondary (including my sneakers? Same happened to the guy behind me)
Reconstitute my belongings and wardrobe, present my self to next gauntlet
”what do you need this time”
”Passport and boarding pass”
Hand him passport, show him phone
”I need ze paper boarding pass, I have to stamp it”
<voice getting increasingly more frustrated> “Well you’re going to have to stamp my phone, I don’t have a paper one”
Guy smiles and tenor changes to a pleasant one “Not today! I write it out”
Proceeds to copy my name and flight info to a card stock blank BP, stamps it
”Have a nice flight”
Approach boarding door
”Scan”
scan my phone and board. No check of passport or this stamp I just got

I approached the first feat of strength about 40 minutes before departure and I was the only one, there were only about 50 people on the 777 MUC-SFO. I can’t imagine what a mess this would have been if all three flights departing to the US at the same time had been full.
polinka likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Flying BRU-ORD. Check in on-line with the app. Get the green “ Travel Ready” button. Cool. Go to airport, clear security. Go to de-immigration control and get my passport stamped. Cool. Find the lounges, and chill out until about 15 min before the flight, pre-boarding 1K and lounges go great together. Walk up to the pre-board entrance with my pass port and BP on my app- and they ask where my ‘sticker’ is. I give them a quizzical look? What sticker?

Anyone have any insights on why BRU almost ended up being a fiasco for me?
Only flown out of BRU once and don't remember how it went. FRA, I've proactively asked about the sticker at the gate after learning about it here. But I swear, I have also gotten my sticker in the United Club....at LHR maybe? Though last two LHR departures, to paraphrase Phil Collins, "no sticker required."

Do UCs ever do the sticker thing? thx
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:34 am

All of this is due to extra special requirements by USA, correct? Then they keep you in a dedicated USA area. Have mostly experienced at FRA and MUC. I also remember stickers at LHR for USA specifically at UC. Agree that it’s easy to miss as not always transparent what the process is.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
The FRA double line isn't an exclusive J or status pax thing, its a way to divide and shorten the line and spread people across one of the three or four small white podiums. It can be long at peak times. It generally starts in the bottleneck hallway immediately before the UA gates, after the Lufthansa Service center. Perhaps someone walked past the end line and got directed to the front towards a podium or said hey- I'm a xxxx status member, thou shalt let me proceed to the front. But that's it.

What I don't understand is how people can be down at check in and drop off bags, get paper BPs and presumably a sticker and still get rolled up in the line at FRA. I always check bags, get the sticker from the initial screener, and simply flash it as I walk by at the Z gates. Never had an issue. The line up at Z is for those who do not have one, and the final check for a sticker is at the gate upon BP and passport check at boarding.

BRU has a similar process, though the reps at the gates aren't as aggressive as FRA. But they are there.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
There are usually 2 lines at FRA, one for 1K/Polaris on the left and and other for general passengers on the right as you walk towards the UA gates.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
All of this is due to extra special requirements by USA, correct? Then they keep you in a dedicated USA area. Have mostly experienced at FRA and MUC. I also remember stickers at LHR for USA specifically at UC. Agree that it’s easy to miss as not always transparent what the process is.
Probably because of US security requirements but there's no consistency to what airports and what airlines. You see segregation at FRA, MUC, IST for US-bound flights, but nothing at CDG or LIS or NRT or HND.
AirbusFan2B and mnhusker like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I believe this is only for US-based carriers as well.
And that explains why I was ready to reply "What the heck are you talking about? I've never seen this."

Apparently all my ex-EU flights have been on non-US airlines, and I have never had to deal with this sticker nonsense.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
DUB-CPH-ORD on SAS, no stamps since I connected at CPH, made myself known at the gate by answering a few questions under 30 seconds, arrived in the US and cleared customs and immigration in under 5 minutes after deplaning.

No fuzz, no lines, none of this sticker nonsense.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:23 pm

Wonder whether I'll be asked tomorrow when checking my bag in the night before @ FRA. Flying LH J on Wednesday
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:37 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
I think it is fair to say that this all goes back to PA103.

At least at some stations this can be done in the lounge as well. At one time if you showed up at the UA Club in LHR with no sticker, they would have the proper security person at the lounge reception who would get you the questions and do your sticker.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ted
I think it is fair to say that this all goes back to PA103.

At least at some stations this can be done in the lounge as well. At one time if you showed up at the UA Club in LHR with no sticker, they would have the proper security person at the lounge reception who would get you the questions and do your sticker.
ICTS is a useless of a bygone era - are these people honestly so stupid to think a terrorist is going to answer "yes, there is a bomb in my bag" or "no I didn't pack my bag, but my boyfriend who I just met a couple days ago and is from Tunisia offered to pack my bag for me, as long as I promised not to look inside"

It's (past) time to get rid of them and the stupid stickers.
kochleffel, polinka and altabello like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gmt4
"Travel Ready" on a BP isn't a lie, it has nothing to do with airport passenger screening. It’s for covid.
Bzzzt. Wrong answer. It also asks about and scans your passport,and only then says “Travel Ready”. It cover immigration because one the way to the EU I was surprised to see that you need a VISA for the EU…. Unless you are there for a short stay (months). I had never seen that.
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
Only flown out of BRU once and don't remember how it went. FRA, I've proactively asked about the sticker at the gate after learning about it here. But I swear, I have also gotten my sticker in the United Club....at LHR maybe? Though last two LHR departures, to paraphrase Phil Collins, "no sticker required."

Do UCs ever do the sticker thing? thx
No UC at BRU, it was a “Diamond Club”.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
So what good does it do to hand our stickers at the ticket counter then?

Everyone keeps talking about FRA and MUC, but this was BRU. I never had issues in FRA/MUC. Though in the past I’ve been more OCD about asking the gate person if everything was in order. When you get through immigration and your BP says “Travel Ready”, I kind of believe them. I thought the sticker in the past was mainly to make sure that you had all your ducks in a row- ticket, passport, VISA, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by sannmann
To clarify, when I connected through FRA on February 20 to the late United 933 flight to IAD, there were two lines to obtain a security sticker prior to reaching the United Z gates. The line on the left was for Polaris/1K customers. The line on the right was for everyone else.

I waited with other 1K customers in the line on the left. It was somewhat frustrating that the line moved slowly. The general line moved faster.

I have seen a separate sticker line at FRA my last two trips through

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.