Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Having Separate GE and Nexus Programs is a Bad Idea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having Separate GE and Nexus Programs is a Bad Idea

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
It's definitely far more complicated than I initially thought. One thing the pandemic has made clear though is that the application/interview process could use some rethink.
CBSA may pull out of NEXUS and put back CANPASS with the CBP firearms impasse. You then have to pay $100 for GE and $50 for CANPASS but you will get your separate background check/approval.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
CBSA may pull out of NEXUS and put back CANPASS with the CBP firearms impasse. You then have to pay $100 for GE and $50 for CANPASS but you will get your separate background check/approval.
While one country will eventually blink, I don't see how CBP will yield on the firearms impasse. It may well be a return to the old days of CANPASS but that's a significant regression and would have its own headaches during separation.

I suspect it's more than just firearms but why not just allow CBP to be armed at the Nexus interview locations in addition to the CBSA officers, if they're not already? Let them all be armed. (My Texas open-carry-everywhere speaking here )
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by jebr
If anything, at least from an outsiders' perspective SENTRI seems like a more odd program to break out from Global Entry. AFAIK the US is the only government involved in both programs, a Global Entry member can register a car to get SENTRI privileges when crossing the border, and so it'd seem simpler to just have both under Global Entry with a requirement to register a car when using the Mexican land border by car.
Both SENTRI and Global Entry/INSPASS programs were developed separately from each other around the mid -1990s. SENTRI was developed for the southern border in cooperation with Mexico and Global Entry started as INSPASS for arrivals from certain US international airports with cooperation from specific overseas governments.
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by jebr
One program with different tiers of access seems just as confusing, if not moreso, than just having two distinct programs. There are plenty of people in the US who want Global Entry but have no intent or desire to go to Canada. Some may even be ineligible for Canadian entry without significant additional paperwork (e.g. DUI conviction, which Canada handles much more seriously than the US.) It would be nice at times to be able to get the Global Entry privileges while waiting for a NEXUS interview, but ultimately I think it's clearer to keep the two programs distinct.

If anything, at least from an outsiders' perspective SENTRI seems like a more odd program to break out from Global Entry. AFAIK the US is the only government involved in both programs, a Global Entry member can register a car to get SENTRI privileges when crossing the border, and so it'd seem simpler to just have both under Global Entry with a requirement to register a car when using the Mexican land border by car.
Sentri is also unique in that it is open to all nationalities, not just those the US has agreements with like Nexus/GE. Someone with more knowledge than me can pitch in as to whether Sentri gives all the benefits of GE at all ports of entry.

No way CBSA would bring back CANPASS. They were paying $50 per crossing ($250k annual cost to operate, 5k crossings, vs 50 cents equivalent cost for NEXUS crossings in the last year CANPASS was offered). The time it would take to restart, reenroll, and operate would just not be worth it.

Honestly a lot of the current backlog issues would be avoided if the cards and membership were active for ten years, like a passport or passport card. 5 years is too short, especially if you get called in for another interview. They should figure out how to do initial interviews over zoom, fingerprints included if necessary via your phone. Picture on the card can be the same as the passport, which is what they use anyway for facial recognition. If they could do away with the interview entirely for low risk travelers for renewals and ideally initial interviews too that would be great.
DualityOfNam likes this.

Last edited by xobile; Sep 13, 2022 at 5:48 pm Reason: Forgot last paragraph
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by xobile
No way CBSA would bring back CANPASS. They were paying $50 per crossing ($250k annual cost to operate, 5k crossings, vs 50 cents equivalent cost for NEXUS crossings in the last year CANPASS was offered). The time it would take to restart, reenroll, and operate would just not be worth it.
From the last CBSA audit of the trusted traveller programs in 2016, it was even worse than that, with an estimated cost of $103 per passage on CANPASS Air. The first recommendation from the audit is redacted, but given the context clues and the timing, it's likely that it was "shut down CANPASS Air and Private Boat, it overlaps with NEXUS and costs way too much to operate".
xobile likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am thankful that NEXUS and GE are separate. When it comes to expedited entry, it’s thanks to Canada and CBSA that NEXUS applicants pay a lower fee than what US CBP wants GE applicants to pay.

Having separate GE and Nexus programs is a good idea, and I hope it long remains so.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am thankful that NEXUS and GE are separate. When it comes to expedited entry, it’s thanks to Canada and CBSA that NEXUS applicants pay a lower fee than what US CBP wants GE applicants to pay.

Having separate GE and Nexus programs is a good idea, and I hope it long remains so.
Sorry to sound crass but the cost to the user alone shouldn't the only reason why a program is kept or removed. CBP already put out a proposal last year to synchronize the fee of all three programs to $120. It's a lot easier for CBSA to outsource the background check, card issuance, etc to CBP versus doing it itself. I do think that since Canada and the US already do so much information sharing on who comes in and out, that they would both have all the necessary details to make a decision on their own on the trustworthiness of a traveler, a decision that can be accepted by both the US and Canada, at least virtually by the other party if needed.
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:15 pm
Original Member

Sorry to sound crass but the cost to the user alone shouldn't the only reason why a program is kept or removed. CBP already put out a proposal last year to synchronize the fee of all three programs to $120. It's a lot easier for CBSA to outsource the background check, card issuance, etc to CBP versus doing it itself. I do think that since Canada and the US already do so much information sharing on who comes in and out, that they would both have all the necessary details to make a decision on their own on the trustworthiness of a traveler, a decision that can be accepted by both the US and Canada, at least virtually by the other party if needed.
They can't because CBSA is performing background checks against Canadian law enforcement databases which CBP does not/nor should it have access to.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 7:51 am

They can't because CBSA is performing background checks against Canadian law enforcement databases which CBP does not/nor should it have access to.
What makes you think CBP doesn't have access to Canadian databases, or the other way around? I believe there was a white paper some time ago that said they pull from US, Canadian, UK, and Interpol databases when someone pulls up or applies. Any information sharing agreements would almost certainly include those.
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:28 am
Original Poster

What makes you think CBP doesn't have access to Canadian databases, or the other way around? I believe there was a white paper some time ago that said they pull from US, Canadian, UK, and Interpol databases when someone pulls up or applies. Any information sharing agreements would almost certainly include those.
I think so too. While each country may have a wider access to its own databases, I would assume part of administering a shared program like Nexus and also managing a shared border is the ability to request *some* information from other countries in real-time. At the very least a simple confirmation of identity documents validity and a yay or nay to adjudicate admission at the border. I believe the term they use is "derogatory information." So if CBP or CBSA scans a Canadian or US passport at their respective POEs, each will immediately receive some information on that individual that might/should include criminal background check. Everything is digitized post 9/11 and is a simple API call (with appropriate credentials and permissions)
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:14 am
Suspended

The dynamic about applicants' costs is reason enough for me to be thankful for the programs being separate.

I am no fan of outsourcing background checks for any of these type of programs to other countries -- and that even extends to program participating partner countries. I've seen my share and then some of US citizens ending up with false derogatory information on file in foreign government intelligence/law enforcement/court databases/files that stubbornly remains even when the USG has absolute evidence of the foreign authorities' derogatory information being obviously false given the USG's own records/material. And the USG too has some of the same sort of issues with false derogatory info stubbornly sticking around and adversely impacting people. Unfortunately, there is more and more of the "anything for security" data-sharing and less and less concern about false (or even deliberately manipulative) derogatory information becoming a bigger problem because of "data-sharing".

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 16, 2022 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

The dynamic about applicants' costs is reason enough for me to be thankful for the programs being separate.

I am no fan of outsourcing background checks for any of these type of programs to other countries -- and that even extends to program participating partner countries. I've seen my share and then some of US citizens ending up with false derogatory information on file in foreign government intelligence/law enforcement/court databases/files that stubbornly remains even when the USG has absolute evidence of the foreign authorities' derogatory information being obviously false given the USG's own records/material. And the USG too has some of the same sort of issues with false derogatory info stubbornly sticking around and adversely impacting people. Unfortunately, there is more and more of the "anything for security" data-sharing and less and less concern about false (or even deliberately manipulative) derogatory information becoming a bigger problem because of "data-sharing".
On the cost, it just makes no sense that NEXUS costs half of Global Entry when it includes both GE ($100 USD) and PreCheck ($80 USD). That discrepancy maybe historical but I'm sure won't last for long.

Agree on false/inaccurate information persisting in government databases being a serious problem. But it is completely independent of and has far wider implications than just administering NEXUS.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:10 pm
Original Member

There is evidence that NCIC/CPIC might be shared but no indication CBSA immigration/customs related databases are.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 16, 2022 at 5:30 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:43 am
Suspended

There is evidence that NCIC/CPIC might be shared but no indication CBSA immigration/customs related databases are.
The CBSA and U.S. Department of Homeland Security exchange data on people travelling between the two countries at major land crossings. Under the Entry/Exit Initiative, the CBSA collects information from the United States about individuals who have left Canada at land border crossings. This presently applies to all U.S. persons, permanent residents living in Canada and third country nationals. A bill currently before Parliament would extend these provisions to all travellers, including Canadian citizens, but it has not yet passed.
https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-to...s-and-borders/

That’s from December 2018.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:22 am
Original Member

Thanks. I recall we discussed a number of yeas ago.

Doesn’t look like the rest is shared (eg entry by air, customs infractions etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.