Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Yes, yes it does. If it was really that big a security upgrade it would have been implemented and everyone would have just had to deal with it.
They understand that. They know, they know! Trust me. I rather I can wait for another 2 more years. I still have my travel ID. They have accepted that.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
"lingering impacts"?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Why doesn't DHS just admit that REAL ID is a failure and move on? The scam was supposed to go into effect in 2008. Now it's 15 years later and it's been put off yet another 2 years, for a total of 17 years. I predicted the "deadline" would be extended from 2023 and can practically guarantee that it will be put off again in 2025.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Even if DHS admitted this failure the Congress and President made Real ID a law. Guess who would have to agree to undo this mess?
The oldest trick in the books would be for DHS to simply zero-out the budget line for REAL-ID in their FY2024 budget request (too late for FY2023) and see who pushes back. Congressional mandate (including public law) aside, that's the best way to get a program canceled if nobody pushes back. States who pushed back would zero-out their budget lines that only has to go to the governor. Given all the heat DHS is taking over the southern border, they could probably get away with it.
seawolf likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The oldest trick in the books would be for DHS to simply zero-out the budget line for REAL-ID in their FY2024 budget request (too late for FY2023) and see who pushes back. Congressional mandate (including public law) aside, that's the best way to get a program canceled if nobody pushes back. States who pushed back would zero-out their budget lines that only has to go to the governor. Given all the heat DHS is taking over the southern border, they could probably get away with it.
Not sure what costs the federal government incurs with Real ID since the states have to manage and issue compliant documents.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Such a great feeling. My CA Id isn’t a REAL id and I have zero control for when my CA Id automatically complies with REAL ID guidelines. I had tried to get one in early 2020 and had deferred when I learned that my actual drivers license would have to be taken away by dmv as my passport expired. I still must renew my passport before I try to get REAL ID - life will be easier when my actual CA ID expires and gets renewed as a REAL ID. Maybe. I’ll see what happens and in the meantime I am just so happy that I don’t need REAL id for flying.

hoping that tsa actually gets this memo or early May will be ugly at airports.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:57 pm

I got my Real ID three years ago. I figured you just never know what you are going to run into. Something did a few months later.
N830MH likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:28 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Not sure what costs the federal government incurs with Real ID since the states have to manage and issue compliant documents.
For Washington State, you pay $7/year ($42 to issue and renew every six years) for an Enhanced Driver License on top of the normal driver license fees. The standard driver license is not Real ID-compliant, only the Enhanced one is.

Sorry I'm not helping the DHS/TSA numbers by not going out of my way to get a EDL when I already have a passport and Global Entry card.

At this rate, do we really need it or did the DHS fall for the sunk cost fallacy?
chollie likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It appears to be (partially) funded by federal taxpayers as per original Act.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:40 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
By the time this finally gets implemented*, my REAL I/D California Driver’s License will be outdated

*take the over that it goes past May 7, 2025
chollie and gaobest like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Awesome. I feel completely validated in not jumping through silly hoops and waiting in DMV lines just to get a special stamp on my CDL.

I may never get one!
GUWonder and chollie like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:47 pm

Does the number of Real ID extensions suggest that Real ID actually has no purpose?
A conspiracy-leaning person might say that it never had anything to do with flying or safety, but was and is a backdoor way to a national ID card.
Spiff and Boraxo like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
A conspiracy-leaning person might say that it never had anything to do with flying or safety, but was and is a backdoor way to a national ID card.
I have long thought it's sort of odd having your identity be based on the ownership of a car.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Awesome. I feel completely validated in not jumping through silly hoops and waiting in DMV lines just to get a special stamp on my CDL.

I may never get one!
I will avoid getting a REAL ID DL for as long as it’s possible to keep getting DLs that are not “REAL ID”.

I look forward to doing the “20 questions” “alternative identification” thing if they want to refuse my regular (non-REAL ID) DLs after 2025, 2050 or whenever. Just hope that the alternative identification thing doesn’t go down the road of requiring biometrics, but nothing would surprise me from them.

Words straight from the late horse’s mouth: “national security, public safety, and immigration benefits”. Horse named Jim Sensenbrenner, who was opposed to extensions over 15 years ago and wrote as much even in joint letters with Peter King and Lamar Smith. REAL ID was Sensenbrenner’s baby. His bęte noire from even before 9/11 was indicated by the last of the three on the list. “Last but not least” in this instance would be an instance of “last is first”.
Spiff, Boraxo and chollie like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 7, 2022 at 11:35 pm
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Just hope that the alternative identification thing doesn’t go down the road of requiring biometrics, but nothing would surprise me from them.

Words straight from the late horse’s mouth: “national security, public safety, and immigration benefits”. Horse named Jim Sensenbrenner, who was opposed to extensions over 15 years ago and wrote as much even in joint letters with Peter King and Lamar Smith. REAL ID was Sensenbrenner’s baby. His bęte noire from even before 9/11 was indicated by the last of the three on the list. “Last but not least” in this instance would be an instance of “last is first”.
you can hope, but that is definitely the way they want it to go - and it will. And access to government services, which are already being rationed in terms of access to government buildings, will not be limited to "immigration benefits." I am okay with a national identity card - scores of other countries, including many with western-style, small-d, representative democracies, have them to no ill effect. I am not okay with the big-brotherism but that ship set sail a long, long time ago. Hopefully we can continue to delay it in getting to its destination, but outside a major apocalypse (aliens/meteor arriving, MCE, super-volcano, etc), there is no chance in completely stopping the inexorable momentum. Technology will not be denied.....
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Real ID deadline extended again to 2025
Does the number of Real ID extensions suggest that Real ID actually has no purpose?
Not at all. It simply means that it's met significant resistance to its implementation, mostly pushback from the individual state governments who resent the added cost and extended bureaucracy that the RealID Act mandated them to dump into their respective MVAs.

It never had anything to do with flying or safety, it was all about the feds establishing an identification documentation standard and imposing it on the states. All of which is about mass data gathering.

Originally Posted by Section 107
you can hope, but that is definitely the way they want it to go - and it will. And access to government services, which are already being rationed in terms of access to government buildings, will not be limited to "immigration benefits." I am okay with a national identity card - scores of other countries, including many with western-style, small-d, representative democracies, have them to no ill effect. I am not okay with the big-brotherism but that ship set sail a long, long time ago. Hopefully we can continue to delay it in getting to its destination, but outside a major apocalypse (aliens/meteor arriving, MCE, super-volcano, etc), there is no chance in completely stopping the inexorable momentum. Technology will not be denied.....
I don't really have a problem with a national ID card. As you said, plenty of other countries have them, and I tend to scoff a little at those who think it's so much worse for the the federal government to have their personal information than it is for the state government to have it, simply because as long as it exists in a government database at any level, it's child's play for the feds to get their paws on it.

The RealID standard is a pain, but I've come to like the idea of a unified national standard for proving who you are before a government agency issues you an ID card. I've never liked that someone could show up somewhere with a Sears credit card, a Blockbuster membership card, or Photon ID card, plus a couple of utility bills, and walk out with a government-issued photo ID that's accepted as iron-clad proof of identity nationwide. RealID, theoretically, sets a much higher bar for identifying yourself when applying for such a government-issued photo ID.
Section 107 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.