Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Start a Real ID "lottery"

The requirement for real ID at TSA has now been extended to October 2021--for the 2000th time.
When will "they" quit--what date?
The one who guesses the exact date gets a lifetime subscription to Flyer Talk.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Informational: For those in Texas who need Real ID the Department of Public Safety (drivers license centers) are taking appointments for drivers license/ID cards. Appointments are made on line as well as completion of applications. Documents required to be presented are detailed. Went today and process went smoothly. Having my passport with me seemed to help the flow.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Deadline for Real ID for air travel pushed back due to pandemic
The Department of Homeland Security will delay the requirement for air travelers to have a Real ID-compliant form of identification, pushing it back 19 months, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Tuesday.

The deadline was supposed to be Oct. 1, but it's now being postponed until May 3, 2023. Similar delays in the past have been the result of a lack of full state compliance with the requirements for issuing the more secure driver’s licenses. But this time, it’s due to the pandemic, these officials say, which made it harder for people to get into state motor vehicle departments and get the new IDs.

N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone recall the first date that Real ID was suppose to be in place?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I believe the original deadline was May 11, 2008. At this rate, I think it will actually take effect sometime after 2030 :O

I don't think it will be repealed, because Congress would then be blamed for another attack, and no representative wants to be seen as weak on security. However, one possibility would be that they water down the requirements until all states are in compliance.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was going to guess November 6, 2024. Drat.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Are there states that still aren't issuing Real IDs? I thought all were doing it with renewals anyway, and most states require renewal every 5 years or less.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Are there states that still aren't issuing Real IDs? I thought all were doing it with renewals anyway, and most states require renewal every 5 years or less.
Just renewed my driver's license this month, expires in 2029. Is real ID compliant.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm not certain that New Jersey has implemented it yet.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here in Arizona, we still extended deadline for next 2 years.

Check out this article from azcentral:

Real ID deadline extended again due to COVID-19. Here's what that means for Arizonans

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...23/4858234001/
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I'm not certain that New Jersey has implemented it yet.
If this article from 2020 is correct then all states are Real ID compliant.

All U.S. States Now Compliant Ahead of REAL ID Deadline

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS or the Department) is announcing that after more than 15 years since Congress passed the REAL ID Act, all 50 states are now in full compliance issuing these cards, with most states becoming compliant in the last four years. To date, the 50 states have issued more than 105 million REAL ID-compliant driver’s licenses and identification cards, representing 38 percent of all driver’s licenses and identification card holders.

Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
That number looks to be closer to 8 years.

https://www.iii.org/state-drivers-li...-older-drivers
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:16 am

Yes all states issuing real id now but most do not require it.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
To get REAL ID in NYS you must physically appear at a DMV office (I guess this is true for all states), since I have (a)a Global Entry card, (b) a passport card, (c) a passport, I renewed my "normal" DL by mail, it's good until 2028, most likely will also count for REAL ID when DHS makes another extension to 2030.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:50 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping now I can renew my IL DL by mail without going in to get a REAL ID. It expires in 2022. That would be splendid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.