Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Whether it should or shouldn’t, it will matter since some jurisdictions will have authorities who see the printed expiration date and make a fuss about it. Before 9/11 and REAL ID passed, the validity periods of US state DLs were less consistent across the states than they are now, but at least then there were more states whose DLs had longer validity periods than is the case since then. Once this virus situation is under control enough to get people flying again.

Scrapping REAL ID and the mindset that gave us it, would mean that some DLs would still have long validity periods and that DMVs asking DHS for extensions of sort wouldn’t be part of the picture arising from this virus situation. But because of REAL ID, people are out there hoping for an extension from DHS related to this virus. If REAL ID were postponed indefinitely or — even better — rescinded, this problem and the thread about it wouldn’t exist. And that would make flying in America great again.
Then I can't help those fears and it is what it is.

Recently our State stopped putting yearly registration stickers on our plates so most have older years showing on them and there have been reports of some being pulled over in other States. Two seconds after explaining the situation they were let go on their merry way. Life will never be perfect for any possible situation.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Then I can't help those fears and it is what it is.

Recently our State stopped putting yearly registration stickers on our plates so most have older years showing on them and there have been reports of some being pulled over in other States. Two seconds after explaining the situation they were let go on their merry way. Life will never be perfect for any possible situation.
Sounds like a convenient pretext for a stop. And we all know a stop is a convenient pretext for almost any subsequent police abuse of power.
I'm certain your State's license requirements are known to police in neighboring states. I'll bet you a quarter, they probably complained about it when it was implemented.
And I'll bet you a buck, not everyone is let go on their merry way
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rickg523
Sounds like a convenient pretext for a stop. And we all know a stop is a convenient pretext for almost any subsequent police abuse of power.
I'm certain your State's license requirements are known to police in neighboring states. I'll bet you a quarter, they probably complained about it when it was implemented.
And I'll bet you a buck, not everyone is let go on their merry way
Fitting square pegs into a round hole is hard for a reason.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Fitting square pegs into a round hole is hard for a reason.
Agree, which seems to be a specialty of government agencies like the one trying to justify how "ID" makes air travel safer.
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please bear in mind that this is the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum and the topic of this thread is whether the implementation of REAL ID will be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While some natural deviation from the topic of the thread and forum are ok, whether other jurisdictions will honor license extensions from other states and problems or difficulties that may be experienced by out of drivers whose states no longer issue license plates registration validation stickers are off topic for this forum; whether requiring passengers to have ID makes travel safer is off-topic for this thread and has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere in this forum.

From this point on, FlyerTalk Rule 5 will be strictly enforced in this thread. Future off-topic posts will be summarily deleted without further notice. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:07 pm

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...f-coronavirus/

The DMV in Calfornia is making big changes due to COVID-19. They are only taking customers with appointments, no more walk-ins, dropping Saturday service and cutting their weekday hours. Its going to be practically impossible for millions of people who don't have a Real ID yet to get one because the appointments are so scarce. I sure hope the Feds change their mind about the October 1 deadline otherwise a lot of Californians are going to be stuck at the airport.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unoriginal
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...f-coronavirus/

The DMV in Calfornia is making big changes due to COVID-19. They are only taking customers with appointments, no more walk-ins, dropping Saturday service and cutting their weekday hours. Its going to be practically impossible for millions of people who don't have a Real ID yet to get one because the appointments are so scarce. I sure hope the Feds change their mind about the October 1 deadline otherwise a lot of Californians are going to be stuck at the airport.
TSA claims to have alternate methods to screen those without ID. Guess the screeners will be rather busy!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:14 am

There is no way this will not get pushed minimum by 1 year if not longer.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

President just announced a postponement of real ID date. No new date announced yet.
Spiff, GUWonder and petaluma1 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:39 am

FLHSMV

"Due to COVID-19, the Federal Government announced today the #REALID enforcement date of October 1, 2020, has been extended. Additional information will be released as it becomes available."

Florida Dept. of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles tweeted last night.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by FLTripper
FLHSMV

"Due to COVID-19, the Federal Government announced today the #REALID enforcement date of October 1, 2020, has been extended. Additional information will be released as it becomes available."

Florida Dept. of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles tweeted last night.
As I predicted on the master thread, this will never happen a month before the election. The <COVID-19> virus just provided the excuse to delay it.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 25, 2020 at 6:03 pm Reason: Politically charged term
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:32 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Draft stimulus bill extends deadline to "at least September 2021".
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gwade
Draft stimulus bill extends deadline to "at least September 2021".
Think this could kill it once and for all?
Spiff and iluv2fly like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
DHS announces 1 year delay to 10/1/21.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/26/...ement-deadline

Acting Secretary Chad Wolf Statement on the REAL ID Enforcement Deadline

Release Date:
March 26, 2020

“Due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic and the national emergency declaration, the Department of Homeland Security, as directed by President Donald J. Trump, is extending the REAL ID enforcement deadline beyond the current October 1, 2020 deadline. I have determined that states require a twelve-month delay and that the new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is October 1, 2021. DHS will publish a notice of the new deadline in the Federal Register in the coming days.

“The federal, state and local response to the spread of the Coronavirus here in the United States necessitates a delay in this deadline. Our state and local partners are working tirelessly with the Administration to flatten the curve and, therefore, we want to remove any impediments to response and recovery efforts. States across the country are temporarily closing or restricting access to DMVs. This action will preclude millions of people from applying for and receiving their REAL ID. Extending the deadline will also allow the Department to work with Congress to implement needed changes to expedite the issuance of REAL IDs once the current health crisis concludes.

“Protecting both the health and national security of the American people continues to be the top priority for the President of the United States and the Department of Homeland Security.”
gwade likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Think this could kill it once and for all?
Sadly DHS can't kill Real ID, will take an act of Congress.
gsoltso likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.