Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legality of CDC flu screening

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by TWA884
This news report has an image of the room where a quarantined Rhode Island family is housed at March Air Base:

Rhode Island family held in coronavirus quarantine air base

Looks like fairly typical DoD installation temporary lodging. I've stayed in many looking quite similar.

Originally Posted by catocony
It looks like it hasn't been redecorated since the base shut down in the mid-90s.
March ARB isn't closed. It just changed from an Air Force Base to an Air Reserve Base (ARB) when functions were realigned in the 90s and it moved under the Air Force Reserves. In fact the base lodging has continued to operate:

Air Force Inns

DoD lodging facilities definitely aren't known for their aesthetics or frequent remodeling, but are generally are clean, safe, and reasonably comfortable for what they are.
Boggie Dog, gsoltso and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I doubt if they're using the hotel, since that's where the Reserve and National Guard guys stay when they're there. That pic shows what looks like a patio door, so it's probably not the Inn just from that. I.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The Washington Post:

To combat coronavirus, U.S. to deny entry to foreign nationals who recently visited China and quarantine returning Americans

●The United States has issued a “Level 4” travel advisory for China, its highest level of caution, over the rapidly spreading outbreak.

●Beginning Sunday, the United States will funnel all flights from China to the United States through seven airports.

●Americans returning to the United States who have been in China’s Hubei province within 14 days will face a mandatory quarantine. Americans returning to the United States from other parts of China will face enhanced screening and a self-quarantine of up to 14 days.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
This news report has an image of the room where a quarantined Rhode Island family is housed at March Air Base:

Rhode Island family held in coronavirus quarantine air base

Except now that family of 4 is being held for 14 days, not 3 days.

Now that they are on the air base, they are not allowed to leave their rooms.
Oh happy day, with two young kids.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe tomorrow they'll all hang out together and have a Super Bowl party. Might as well try to lighten things up when possible.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Maybe tomorrow they'll all hang out together and have a Super Bowl party. Might as well try to lighten things up when possible.
That may run contrary to the desire to make sure those staying at the base accommodations don’t mingle amongst each other and complicate the picture of who has been and has not been exposed to the Wuhan coronavirus.

FWIW, arriving into some parts of the US on CX — with plentiful CX first award space — from HKG involved nothing extraordinary from CBP and CDC at US airports of entry in recent days.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Curious to know what the Op thinks is the alternative? Let the virus spread unchecked and leave it up to individuals to sort themselves out?

Do you really see that that working out for the best?
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended

Survival of the fittest by letting people deal with the good and bad of the natural world — infections included — has gotten humanity this far. But that’s not really a civilized alternative.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Serious question—how in the hell are they enforcing this? Because from my experience, they aren't.

Case in point: arrived at IAD today, cleared via GE as normal, and was never asked about my travel history to China in the last 14 days, either by the GE kiosk or by any airport or CBP personnel. Not even a temperature scanner like often seen at airports in Asia. Absent perhaps a direct Mainland China - US flight (or maybe single ticket Mainland China - XXX - US itinerary), it seems like nothing at all is being enforced. Does CBP/CDC not realize that people can fly China-EU-US itineraries (or infinite other permutations) on multiple tickets?

Or—shock—perhaps this really is just more theatre?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Scifience
Serious question—how in the hell are they enforcing this? Because from my experience, they aren't.

Case in point: arrived at IAD today, cleared via GE as normal, and was never asked about my travel history to China in the last 14 days, either by the GE kiosk or by any airport or CBP personnel. Not even a temperature scanner like often seen at airports in Asia. Absent perhaps a direct Mainland China - US flight (or maybe single ticket Mainland China - XXX - US itinerary), it seems like nothing at all is being enforced. Does CBP/CDC not realize that people can fly China-EU-US itineraries (or infinite other permutations) on multiple tickets?

Or—shock—perhaps this really is just more theatre?
Because officially the ban hasn't taken effect yet. Here at ORD it starts at 1700 local today. We have one UA flight running late (1749) so we'll see what happens. MU is still scheduled for tomorrow, UA has one flight planned, HU I haven't seen any formal suspension. Tuesday UA intent is send 87 and 88 to ORD instead of EWR.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ords
Because officially the ban hasn't taken effect yet. Here at ORD it starts at 1700 local today. We have one UA flight running late (1749) so we'll see what happens. MU is still scheduled for tomorrow, UA has one flight planned, HU I haven't seen any formal suspension. Tuesday UA intent is send 87 and 88 to ORD instead of EWR.
HKG-ORD has had nothing so far on this. Will it?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by catocony
I doubt if they're using the hotel, since that's where the Reserve and National Guard guys stay when they're there. That pic shows what looks like a patio door, so it's probably not the Inn just from that. I.
"Inn" here doesn't necessarily indicate that they only have basic hotel rooms - the AF lodging network is called "Air Force Inns" and typically the main facility on base is "such-and-such Inn" regardless of configuration. Base lodging often has a range of facilities from hotel/motel type rooms to multi-bedroom suites with kitchens for somewhat longer temporary stays. Just depends on the location. Patios and porches aren't uncommon.

It appears March Inn manages

451 rooms in 10 buildings,12 houses and 3 TLF’s (temporary lodging facilities)
The photos on the website seem to match the above news piece. Impossible to tell which of their 12 dozen+ buildings are being used with these folks. It could be that a specific building (or two) was set aside for the evacuees.

If there are too many DoD personnel needing lodging than what on-base space remains due to the evacuees, those DoD folks will simply stay in commercial lodging off base, as happens all the time when on-base lodging is full - quite routine.

In any case, the point is that the evacuees aren't staying in facilities that had been closed for nearly 20 years, but in currently operational buildings.
GUWonder and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
HKG-ORD has had nothing so far on this. Will it?
Correct and I'm not hearing anything that it will.

CX and BR still operating as normal.

I'm also hearing additional cities have been added over the 7, so this helps. EWR is one of them.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That may run contrary to the desire to make sure those staying at the base accommodations don’t mingle amongst each other and complicate the picture of who has been and has not been exposed to the Wuhan coronavirus.

FWIW, arriving into some parts of the US on CX — with plentiful CX first award space — from HKG involved nothing extraordinary from CBP and CDC at US airports of entry in recent days.
These people have already been in close proximity to each other during their flight from China.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
These people have already been in close proximity to each other during their flight from China.
Close proximity before or not, exposed to a then-contagious person before or not, encouraging closer physical mingling amongst the isolated/quarantined complicates matters in a way that is not good for clearing and clearing out people sooner than later without opening the door to possibly increasing the spread.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.