Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

First the Light Saber, now the Thermal Detonator!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First the Light Saber, now the Thermal Detonator!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
I've filed an update to my 1st Circuit case about this. See attached affidavit & argument.

Thanks for the headsup about it.

(TSA has to date not responded to any of these updates, and in particular has never disputed the accuracy of my factual claims.)

See also:

https://www.tsa.gov/news/2019/08/28/...d-soda-bottles
“The issue concerning Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge-themed soda bottles has recently been brought to our attention by the general public, as these items could reasonably be seen by some as replica hand grenades. We appreciate the concerns being raised, because replica explosives are not permitted in either carry-on or checked bags. We have completed our review, and instructed our officers to treat these as an oversized liquid. Because these bottles contain liquids larger than 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters), they should be put in checked baggage or emptied to be brought on as carry-on item. TSA officers will maintain the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint if they believe it poses a security threat.”

"Reasonably" eh?

Specifically denied by TSA. https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/1166504206649499648

"Even with a normal bottle cap, this item is still considered a replica and is not allowed in carry-on or checked bags. If our officers discover a replica item during screening and believe it's real, the item will be treated as such until advised otherwise by law enforcement."

A replica of what exactly?

TSA continues to have no understanding of the word, replica!
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by saizai

Specifically denied by TSA. https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/1166504206649499648

"Even with a normal bottle cap, this item is still considered a replica and is not allowed in carry-on or checked bags. If our officers discover a replica item during screening and believe it's real, the item will be treated as such until advised otherwise by law enforcement."
There is zero point zero percent chance that anyone in the universe would ever even consider that possibility that a round Coke bottle with funny lettering could ever be a replica explosive device. Even with the cap on and being told that it is a replica, it does not in any way resemble any kind of explosive device, on Earth or in a galaxy far far away. It is just a round plastic bottle. This is a prime example of a very feeble-minded person who was stuck in a desk somewhere to get them out of everyone else's way.
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
There is zero point zero percent chance that anyone in the universe would ever even consider that possibility that a round Coke bottle with funny lettering could ever be a replica explosive device.
I disagree.

There is zero percent chance that a reasonable person could think that.

<redacted by moderator>.

Never underestimate the possibility that someone believes any given thing you could dream up, or at least would consider it possible.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 13, 2019 at 2:53 pm Reason: Derisive gross generalization in violation of this forum's sticky post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.