Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

First the Light Saber, now the Thermal Detonator!

Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

TSA banning another Star Wars related item. I can sort of see their point, since it sorta kinda looks like a grenade (albeit in a cartoonish, Christmas-tree-ornament way), but I think they're opening themselves up to further derision by referring to it as a "replica". <facepalm>

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...les/index.html
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You've got to be kidding me! (It's TSA though, so I know better!) Anyone who thinks that resembles an explosive device, or replica, in any way needs their head examined. The resemblance to the movie prop thermal detonator is passing at best. Funny you mention Christmas tree ornament, because I'm certain the bottle part of it is the same thing that they sell during Christmas as a Coke Christmas Tree ornament. My father-in-law has one on his tree every year (I think he glued something on the top to put an ornament hook through).

And of course as you alluded to, how can there be a replica of a fictional item from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 29, 2019 at 6:31 am
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
They'll be in limited supply and enterprising people will be collecting them from the confiscation bins and selling them on Ebay.
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am betting that more times than not the TSA will fail to notice and remove these items from checked-in luggage.

The ban of such items in checked luggage is yet more testimony to the TSAs inability to readily identity a non-threat as a non-threat and an actual threat as a threat and how that leads to various ridiculous shenanigans in the name of security at airports near and far.
Spiff, jfunk138 and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am betting that more times than not the TSA will fail to notice and remove these items from checked-in luggage.

The ban of such items in checked luggage is yet more testimony to the TSA’s inability to readily identity a non-threat as a non-threat and an actual threat as a threat and how that leads to various ridiculous shenanigans in the name of “security” at airports near and far.
I do not understand the business about not allowing them in checked bags. If the bag is pulled and the item has been cleared, then there is absolutely zero reason to confiscate it. Doing so is just a perk of the job.

I'm also curious why the xray can't tell the difference between a bottle of perfume, a round can of soda pop, and a grenade.

And finally...if these cans had been painted to look like a peach and the caps slightly modified, would they still be subject to a complete ban? Or if they had been painted camo and labelled "Star Wars Jedi Survival Canteen"?
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA clearly has no understanding of the words "replica explosive".
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
I do not understand the business about not allowing them in checked bags. If the bag is pulled and the item has been cleared, then there is absolutely zero reason to confiscate it. Doing so is just a perk of the job.

I'm also curious why the xray can't tell the difference between a bottle of perfume, a round can of soda pop, and a grenade.

And finally...if these cans had been painted to look like a peach and the caps slightly modified, would they still be subject to a complete ban? Or if they had been painted camo and labelled "Star Wars Jedi Survival Canteen"?
Wasn't there once a TSA statement about wanting to keep screeners' "cognitive workload" (or some such phrase) down? I think that essentially explains the policy.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I was just coming to post a link to this. It is INSANE. But then again, you can't spell insane without TSA. Or most of it, anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:38 pm

Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

The ban of such items in checked luggage is yet more testimony to the TSAs inability to readily identity a non-threat as a non-threat and an actual threat as a threat and how that leads to various ridiculous shenanigans in the name of security at airports near and far.

TSA is pretty good at confiscating harmless items. I've seen those Rubber Maid bomb disposal containers plum full.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Wasn't there once a TSA statement about wanting to keep screeners' "cognitive workload" (or some such phrase) down? I think that essentially explains the policy.
It was "cognitive burden" and it was issued by former TSA spokesperson Nico Melendez regarding pat downs.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Or how about if they looked like...

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA clearly has no understanding of the words "replica explosive".
Indeed. Let's hope they don't start thinking about how pencils are kinda shaped similar to missiles.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:30 am

They'll be in limited supply and enterprising people will be collecting them from the confiscation bins and selling them on Ebay.
They are already on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEYLAND-...de400953b8af07
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:23 am

Just take the cap off of the bottle. Problem solved.
GUWonder, 84fiero, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a God-send for the TSA because they can now be relevant again by protecting America from these weapons of mass destruction. I wonder how long it will be before Lisa Farbstein declares that terrorists are out there right now making fake Star Wars Coke bottles of high explosives? They haven't had this much fun since confiscating Disney snow globes.
Spiff, GUWonder, 84fiero and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.