Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Obtaining a US passport requires less "documentation" than what a NYS DL which is Real-ID compliant requires; I've never understood DHSs Oct. 2020 "ultimatum".
honestly I been thinking same thing. I only needed to supply my photo and birth certificate. No need to provide copy of my social security card and neither did I need to provide copy of utility bills.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Passports are easy to obtain for most people but can be very hard or require a lot of secondary documentation for others. For the vast majority where it is easy enough for State to verify identity and US nationality across a period of years, this is an easy process..
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
FWIW: I recently saw an article that there was a piece of Legislation submitted that would allow TSA Pre/ KTN to override the need to have a Real ID compliant DL? Sorry, I cant remember the LD# or the Author. or the Status of the Bill RT
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by roadtriper
FWIW: I recently saw an article that there was a piece of Legislation submitted that would allow TSA Pre/ KTN to override the need to have a Real ID compliant DL? Sorry, I cant remember the LD# or the Author. or the Status of the Bill RT
Originally Posted by TWA884

The Points Guy:

This bill may allow you to use TSA PreCheck as Real ID

Arizona U.S. Representative Debbie Lesko and Florida Rep. Stephanie Murphy recently proposed the Trusted Traveler Real ID Relief Act of 2020 to the House of Representatives. If passed, this bill would require the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to accept proof of TSA PreCheck enrollment in lieu of Real ID–compliant identification through April 1, 2022.

There will be “mass confusion, chaos, and delays that will most certainly occur across our nation’s airports if proper measures are not taken by Oct. 1,” Lesko stated on her website. While most states are now Real ID-compliant, it has taken many months to reach this point; only three out of 10 Americans possess updated driver’s licenses or other compliant identification, according to CBS.

“This commonsense bill will permit those enrolled in TSA PreCheck to continue their journey without disruption,” Murphy agreed in the statement on Lesko’s website.

The bill also proposes that TSA develop alternative and additional screening procedures for non-Trusted Traveler members who don’t have Real ID after Oct. 1, although the bill did not provide any suggestions on how to do so.

Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA884

That's the one, Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Passport!

I keep saying this but the more I read, the less sure I am; so to clarify, so long as I have a valid passport, I can travel on any domestic flight in addition to typical int’l flights, right?

in other words, my passport is still “of higher value” than enhanced ID, correct?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix
Passport!

I keep saying this but the more I read, the less sure I am; so to clarify, so long as I have a valid passport, I can travel on any domestic flight in addition to typical int’l flights, right?

in other words, my passport is still “of higher value” than enhanced ID, correct?
yes passport is recognized as intentional travel document and such can be used domestically as well
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:54 am

It would seem your passport would trump all else.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:47 pm

Do TSA agents stick to one terminal/wing, or do/can they rotate?

8pm weeknight at EWR terminal B3 Satellite, trying to access LH lounge on a domestic UA ticket (out of C). No separate tsapre line/tsaprelite at this time

First agent explicitly mentioned that my GE card is not a valid ID, wanted to see a passport (I think all flights at this time from B3 satellite are intl)

I explained that I was on a domestic ticket and wanted to access lounge, and GE is a valid form of ID. First agent still refused GE as valid ID, wanted to see drivers license

Second agent came over, same denial. I reiterated the same thing as above. Second agent mentioned that I do have a valid (paper) boarding pass. eventually second agent flipped through a dog-eared phonebook of valid intl passports, then a dog-eared phone book of valid driver's licenses, and eventually found the entry for GE.

Then second agent apologized and let me through

If this is the training, it's going to be tough in October 1 2020 (NJ only started issuing RealID compliant drivers license in September 2019 by appointment for only a few sites. 30+ sites now, but not completely statewide yet)

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 10, 2020 at 1:54 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
GE is the ONLY form of ID I've used at TDCs since 2011, and it's been about as long as I've had a TDC give me a hard time about it.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
GE is the ONLY form of ID I've used at TDCs since 2011, and it's been about as long as I've had a TDC give me a hard time about it.
Same for me, using GE card , though typically at tsapre lines (higher chance of them seeing a GE card before)

That's why i was curious if tsa agents rotate or stay in the same area. Probably not getting a straight answer since this can be sensitive info
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:45 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
About 7 years ago using my DL (which has my last name and initials for my fn and mi) a TSA agent wanted to see something (a cc would have been OK) with my full fn and ln, I presented my GE card, agent: "that's always is OK". If you are in CLEAR (unless randomly selected) you don't show TSA your ID--real or otherwise.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I use my passport on international flights (because I am using it anyway). For domestic flights, I use my passport card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.