Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA will now allow up to 12 oz of hand sanitizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

HOWEVER, they will be screening all the larger size containers. And since hand sanitizer contains glycerin will travelers be flagged for patdowns, possibly transferring COVID19, because they are trying to protect themselves from this virus?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder how many containers of hand sanitizer were confiscated (and taken home) before the light came on at TSA?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Wonder how many containers of hand sanitizer were confiscated (and taken home) before the light came on at TSA?
The answer would be zero, as it is against TSA policy to take home any confiscated items. They must be disposed of.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juliep
The answer would be zero, as it is against TSA policy to take home any confiscated items. They must be disposed of.
The answer would be zero if you believed that everybody follows every rule all the time. But we know that isn't so.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by juliep
As I have seen TSA clerks pull unopened bottles of water and soda out of trash cans a couple of times, you are both correct and wrong. They must be disposed of - in a trash can. TSA clerks can then pull them out and do what they want to.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
As I have seen TSA clerks pull unopened bottles of water and soda out of trash cans a couple of times, you are both correct and wrong. They must be disposed of - in a trash can. TSA clerks can then pull them out and do what they want to.
I truly believe that TSA's SOP's say that confiscated items can't be taken for personal use. I also believe that TSA's SOP's are routinely ignored by some TSA screeners.
Spiff, 84fiero, petaluma1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
HOWEVER, they will be screening all the larger size containers. And since hand sanitizer contains glycerin will travelers be flagged for patdowns, possibly transferring COVID19, because they are trying to protect themselves from this virus?
It's amazing that 12 oz of hand sanitizer will no longer blow up an airplane. I wonder why 12 oz of shampoo or sun screen still can blow up an airplane? The TSA is so much smarter than I am. But, very soon, I am sure, 12 oz of hand sanitizer will once again be able to blow up an airplane. I'll betcha' that 12 oz of shampoo will no longer blow up an airplane when the head lice pandemic hits...
seawolf, Spiff, GUWonder and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:48 am

FWIW, WHO recommends the formula (all v/v):
  • ethanol 80% or isopropyl alcohol 75%
  • hydrogen peroxide 0.125%
  • glycerol 1.45%
All of which have been targets of TSA bans.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:52 pm

I had an 8 oz bottle of hand sanitizer that TSA in Denver tried to confiscate despite me showing them the TSA web page that bottles up to 12 oz were allowed.

They called over a manager who said it was for people with medical issues only but he’d let me through this one time.
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
I had an 8 oz bottle of hand sanitizer that TSA in Denver tried to confiscate despite me showing them the TSA web page that bottles up to 12 oz were allowed.

They called over a manager who said it was for people with medical issues only but he’d let me through this one time.
Please report this using the TSA Complaint form. Select "Screening" from the drop down "Categories" menu. One can only hope that there will be a follow up and corrective measures.
Spiff, studentff and gsoltso like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:47 pm

Already did. It was the next thing I did after posting to FT.
Spiff and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

smdh
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Surprise, surprise.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It's amazing that 12 oz of hand sanitizer will no longer blow up an airplane. I wonder why 12 oz of shampoo or sun screen still can blow up an airplane? The TSA is so much smarter than I am. But, very soon, I am sure, 12 oz of hand sanitizer will once again be able to blow up an airplane. I'll betcha' that 12 oz of shampoo will no longer blow up an airplane when the head lice pandemic hits...
Nothing like a flammable gel suddenly being safe enough to fly.
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:14 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I think for TSA all liquids could potentially be explosives, but since most sanitizers have "pumps"--that makes them OK. From blurbs on TV toilet paper and liquid sanitzers are in super short supply in many stores that TSA is allowing them may be a moot point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.