Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelers Defying TSA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Nothing more than a disguised advertisement

Originally Posted by Often1
Why would anyone give any credibility to a "study" conducted and paid for by an air charter operator which advertises on its website, the fact that security requirements for charters of aircraft seating <61 passengers is close to nil. Certainly no standard TSA checkpoint unless the flight operates out of a sterile area for other reasons?

It is in the financial interest of the sponsor to do its utmost for people to believe that the checkpoint experience is beyond horrible in every way and thus, one of the reasons to charter is to avoid all of this.

Consider the source.
Yup. It's nothing more than a disguised advertisement for the charter company. The "study" focuses on drunk, high, or otherwise chemically-impaired individuals, then near the bottom goes on to say:

"If flying in comfort, safety, and style is something you desire, consider booking your next trip with [company name removed]. Our superior customer service and luxury aircraft provide a unique travel experience you won’t soon forget. And you certainly won’t have to worry if the passenger next to you is flying higher than you." (bolding mine)

And even later goes on to say that it's all based on a survey that only includes people that have brought prohibited items on board, and the prohibited list includes "fresh fruits or vegetables" and "items made of dog or cat fur"

And of course, Elliot's "article" doesn't have any way of leaving comments so people can't call him on this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Thanks for the correction. I was just quoting, and as little as I know about firearms, I do know that the media regularly gets things wrong.
Wasn't trying to correct you. I wasn't sure if any rifles are chambered in 40 S&W and had to check. My sister favored 40 S&W as her police carry weapon.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
What's BS about it?

A .40 caliber rifle doesn't seem any more preposterous to me than an active duty soldier claiming he forgot two bricks of C-4 in their original clearly-labelled government wrappings. He flew out of FAY. TSA pulled the bag on his outbound flight, searched it and confiscated a military smoke grenade he'd also 'forgotten'. It wasn't until his return trip that TSA caught the C-4.
You're not exactly going to hide a carbine and ammo clips up your butt or in your pocket or under some underwear in your carry-on. They stand out pretty easily and aren't small.

And, to be technically correct, .40 is a pistol round so there aren't really rifles in that caliber but carbines, which are different. That wasn't my point though, it was that someone was going to randomly slip one through. Pistols get through, but a carbine is much larger.

As for C4, it would be far easier to slip two packs through TSA than a rifle.

Last edited by catocony; Oct 29, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
You're not exactly going to hide a carbine and ammo clips up your butt or in your pocket or under some underwear in your carry-on. They stand out pretty easily and aren't small.

And, to be technically correct, .40 is a pistol round so there aren't really rifles in that caliber but carbines, which are different. That wasn't my point though, it was that someone was going to randomly slip one through. Pistols get through, but a carbine is much larger.

As for C4, it would be far easier to slip two packs through TSA than a rifle.
Maybe they were going to stash it in their hair. A carbine is just a short barreled rifle.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I do hope that last sentence was written sarcastically.
im not supporting any previous statement but do want to say that flying, just like driving, is not a right but a privilege, at least in the USA. If you are not willing to play by the rules then don’t come to the party.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Maybe they were going to stash it in their hair. A carbine is just a short barreled rifle.
Carbines aren't rifles because they don't use rifle rounds. They use pistol rounds. Some are close in size to assault rifles, but aren't really used as such. Think of them as really long barrelled pistols with a shoulder stock.

Originally Posted by Collierkr

im not supporting any previous statement but do want to say that flying, just like driving, is not a right but a privilege, at least in the USA. If you are not willing to play by the rules then don’t come to the party.
Why do you think the ability to travel is a privilege and not a right? Airlines are common carriers who cannot discriminate against customers. You don't need permission to book a flight, you don't need permission to go to the airport. You don't actually need any physical identification to get through security.
Spiff and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 29, 2018 at 6:40 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would any traveler get the idea that TSA will confiscate prescription medicines?

Seems an odd thing for travelers to fixate on.

Well, except the website makes it clear that pax do have to worry about their prescription meds. Yup, just consider the source.
Except the reality is we have many cases of TSA taking meds or people refusing to fly because their meds would be taken.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

"A citizen of the United States has a public RIGHT OF TRANSIT through the navigable airspace."...49 US Code-Section 40103 (2)
Spiff, 84fiero, saizai and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
This particular firearm was apparently a folding or collapsible one. Depending on the type of bag he was carrying, it probably wouldn't be quite as obvious to the naked eye as a long-barreled firearm of any sort.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Carbines aren't rifles because they don't use rifle rounds. They use pistol rounds. Some are close in size to assault rifles, but aren't really used as such. Think of them as really long barrelled pistols with a shoulder stock.
Really? The M4 carbine uses the same round as the M16 (5.56x45mm).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Really? The M4 carbine uses the same round as the M16 (5.56x45mm).
You could add in the M1 .30 Cal (7.62mm) carbine family, in use during WW2, Korea, and well into Vietnam.

What’s The Difference In A Carbine And A Rifle?

Still today there is no well-defined criteria for delineating a carbine from a rifle. Generally speaking, carbines are very similar to rifles and the distinction tends to be the barrel length and the weight. Rifle-like weapons with a barrel length of less than 20 inches are typically considered to be carbines. Weapons with barrels greater than 20 inches are usually called rifles unless specifically called carbines by the manufacturer.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

This is a lie that the DHS so wishes to be true. It only becomes true when society at large actually believes that to be the case.

A US citizen has the right to freely contract with airlines to arrange transportation across US airspace. Full stop.

To those who say that "flying is like driving" - that is not correct. Flying an airplane is a privilege, not a right, subject to all of the rules and certifications required by the FAA - just like driving a car is subject to all of the rules of your DMV/state.

Flying as a passenger is equivalent to riding in a taxi. Or do you believe that riding in a taxi is a privilege and not a right (at least as it relates to governments restricting you from contracting with a livery driver)?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

Elliott is wildly misstating the survey here. The survey's sample was people who said they'd tried to smuggle something prohibited onto a plane. 88% of those people said they'd been successful at it.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:12 pm

Carbines aren't rifles because they don't use rifle rounds. They use pistol rounds. Some are close in size to assault rifles, but aren't really used as such. Think of them as really long barrelled pistols with a shoulder stock....
Just to be pendantic...
"Carbine" refers to the rifle format, ie size, particularly barrel length. not its chambering. Eg, swedish mauser military carbines that using the same cartridge as their full size counterparts. going back even further, look at the Sharps carbine. Some carbines use low power (including pistol rounds), some use medium (eg 5.56 nato) rounds, some use high power rounds.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Elliott is wildly misstating the survey here. The survey's sample was people who said they'd tried to smuggle something prohibited onto a plane. 88% of those people said they'd been successful at it.
When I was flying weekly in the US, I was a hardcore smuggler of banned items. I was 100% successful 88% of the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.