Wiki Posts
Search

Travelers Defying TSA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Travelers Defying TSA

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo.../#77765dc97ec6

If you're worried about airport security, there's a new survey that puts the issue into troubling perspective. The research, conducted by Stratos Jet Charters, found that a shocking 88% of passengers smuggled prohibited items onto domestic flights. Among the most popular items: marijuana, alcohol and unauthorized weapons like the .40 caliber rifle Mom packed.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really nothing new in that article. I find it disturbing that medicines and illegal drugs keep coming up in articles like this. Drugs should be of no concern for TSA and takes attention away from real threat items. TSA's job is to interdict WEI and we should all strive to make sure those goal posts aren't moved. TSA screeners currently have no law enforcement authority and I hope never obtain such powers.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's illegal about taking alcohol on a flight (as opposed to consuming alcohol on board that itn't served by a FA), assuming that it's either in a checked bag (and not the extremely alcoholic rum that is prohibited due to the risk of fire) or fits into the 3-1-1 rule?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's illegal about taking alcohol on a flight (as opposed to consuming alcohol on board that itn't served by a FA), assuming that it's either in a checked bag (and not the extremely alcoholic rum that is prohibited due to the risk of fire) or fits into the 3-1-1 rule?
If you actually read the article you will see that it is not talking about alcoholic beverages that are generally permitted.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
From the article:

Unauthorized prescription drugs rank high on the list, too, with 25% of men and 19% of women admitting to smuggling medical contraband on the plane.
Interesting. I wonder where so many people get the idea that TSA will confiscate their prescription drugs?

You know, the prescription drugs that TSA is not looking for like my medical nitro pills.

I guess they either learned the hard way, like I did, or they referred to the TSA website that clearly says any prescription medication is subject to confiscation at any time without a reason.
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why would anyone give any credibility to a "study" conducted and paid for by an air charter operator which advertises on its website, the fact that security requirements for charters of aircraft seating <61 passengers is close to nil. Certainly no standard TSA checkpoint unless the flight operates out of a sterile area for other reasons?

It is in the financial interest of the sponsor to do its utmost for people to believe that the checkpoint experience is beyond horrible in every way and thus, one of the reasons to charter is to avoid all of this.

Consider the source.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Why would anyone give any credibility to a "study" conducted and paid for by an air charter operator which advertises on its website, the fact that security requirements for charters of aircraft seating <61 passengers is close to nil. Certainly no standard TSA checkpoint unless the flight operates out of a sterile area for other reasons?

It is in the financial interest of the sponsor to do its utmost for people to believe that the checkpoint experience is beyond horrible in every way and thus, one of the reasons to charter is to avoid all of this.

Consider the source.
Why would any traveler get the idea that TSA will confiscate prescription medicines?

Seems an odd thing for travelers to fixate on.

Well, except the website makes it clear that pax do have to worry about their prescription meds. Yup, just consider the source.

Perhaps a new TSA spokesperson will be along shortly to make a non-binding blog post explaining that even though the website rulles clearly state that medicines can be confiscated by a screener for any reason or no reason, that's no reason to try to smuggle your drugs through.

Flying is a privilege, not a right, and if you can't risk flying without your meds, then perhaps you shouldn't be flying at all.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Why would any traveler get the idea that TSA will confiscate prescription medicines?

Seems an odd thing for travelers to fixate on.

Well, except the website makes it clear that pax do have to worry about their prescription meds. Yup, just consider the source.

Perhaps a new TSA spokesperson will be along shortly to make a non-binding blog post explaining that even though the website rulles clearly state that medicines can be confiscated by a screener for any reason or no reason, that's no reason to try to smuggle your drugs through.

Flying is a privilege, not a right, and if you can't risk flying without your meds, then perhaps you shouldn't be flying at all.
I do hope that last sentence was written sarcastically.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
They lost me with ".40 caliber rifles". Total BS article.
AceReport likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Consider the source.
So it would be appropriate to discount all TSA propaganda for likely being biased in favor of TSA?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So it would be appropriate to discount all TSA propaganda for likely being biased in favor of TSA?
No, it would be inappropriate.

You are free to interpret the TSA website as you see fit.

This thread is about the decision to post here as though there were a "study" what amounts to a paid advertisement for commercial air charter company.
gobluetwo and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by catocony
They lost me with ".40 caliber rifles". Total BS article.
What's BS about it?

A .40 caliber rifle doesn't seem any more preposterous to me than an active duty soldier claiming he forgot two bricks of C-4 in their original clearly-labelled government wrappings. He flew out of FAY. TSA pulled the bag on his outbound flight, searched it and confiscated a military smoke grenade he'd also 'forgotten'. It wasn't until his return trip that TSA caught the C-4.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 29, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it would be inappropriate.

You are free to interpret the TSA website as you see fit.

This thread is about the decision to post here as though there were a "study" what amounts to a paid advertisement for commercial air charter company.
You want us to to use one standard for private business propaganda and another one for TSA propaganda. I'm confused over the inconsistency.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
What's BS about it?

A .40 caliber rifle doesn't seem any more preposterous to me than an active duty soldier claiming he forgot two bricks of C-4 in their original clearly-labelled government wrappings. He flew out of FAY. TSA pulled the bag on his outbound flight, searched it and confiscated a military smoke grenade he'd also 'forgotten'. It wasn't until his return trip that TSA caught the C-4.

.40 S&W is a fairly common pistol round and there are carbines chambered for this round. Calling it a caliber would be incorrect.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
.40 S&W is a fairly common pistol round and there are carbines chambered for this round. Calling it a caliber would be incorrect.
Thanks for the correction. I was just quoting, and as little as I know about firearms, I do know that the media regularly gets things wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.