Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Those airport security bins carry more germs than the toilets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those airport security bins carry more germs than the toilets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the bins are ever cleaned? Perhaps some TSA type can chime in and tell us.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I saw vomit in one bin at DCA a few years back and never saw the vomit in bins at that checkpoint again. But I don’t know if/when/how they tossed it or cleaned it.

I’ve seen collection of used bins sent for removal and replacement, but nothing about cleaning and bringing them back under any TSA-wide scheduled program. It may come down to what the local airport decides to do.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I saw vomit in one bin at DCA a few years back and never saw the vomit in bins at that checkpoint again. But I don’t know if/when/how they tossed it or cleaned it.

I’ve seen collection of used bins sent for removal and replacement, but nothing about cleaning and bringing them back under any TSA-wide scheduled program. It may come down to what the local airport decides to do.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I wonder if the bins are ever cleaned? Perhaps some TSA type can chime in and tell us.
Apparently Akron-Canton has (or had) self-cleaning bins.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ts-less-gross/
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
One answer is buried somewhere on this forum, but it's old and search doesn't work well.

IIRC, a TSO posted that the bins at his/her airport did get cleaned very occasionally, but IIRC, it was not TSA staff that did the cleaning and it was airport-specific.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chollie
One answer is buried somewhere on this forum, but it's old and search doesn't work well.

IIRC, a TSO posted that the bins at his/her airport did get cleaned very occasionally, but IIRC, it was not TSA staff that did the cleaning and it was airport-specific.
Sounds about right. The bins at some US airports had advertisements arranged for by the airport owners/operators, and I don’t recall the TSA operating any commercial marketing unit.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: TSA
They are cleaned, but not as regularly as I would like, and it is airport specific. They are actually cleaned more often than you might think because of spillage or obvious contamination (dirt, candy, etc).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
They are cleaned, but not as regularly as I would like, and it is airport specific. They are actually cleaned more often than you might think because of spillage or obvious contamination (dirt, candy, etc).
Is the cleaning an airport or TSA function?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:14 am

Is the cleaning an airport or TSA function?
I am unaware of the airports role in cleaning them - I have only seen them clean the bins when they mess one up. Here we (TSA) do maintenance and cleaning.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am unaware of the airports role in cleaning them - I have only seen them clean the bins when they mess one up. Here we (TSA) do maintenance and cleaning.
GSO can take them outside later this week and get a good hard rain on them I think.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:31 am

GSO can take them outside later this week and get a good hard rain on them I think.
It appears that it is in the planning stage at this point. I currently am more worried about one of our hub/spoke airports ILM (Wilmington), they appear to be batter up for the initial landfall, and that is always challenging. Some of the TSA folks at ILM are working off the clock in the area filling sandbags and helping to shore up certain areas that are susceptible to surge/storm conditions. I hope that all in the path wind up safe and sound on the other side. Any of our regulars here in the path?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.