Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Those airport security bins carry more germs than the toilets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

The lead authors of the article, who hailed from Finland's National Institute for Health and Welfare and the University of Nottingham, concluded that the screening trays "appear commonly contaminated" and that they are one of the surfaces at an airport where passengers are most likely to pick up harmful viruses.

"We found the highest frequency of respiratory viruses on plastic trays used in security check areas for depositing hand-carried luggage and personal items," the scientists wrote in their journal article. "These boxes typically cycle with high frequency to subsequent passengers, and are typically seized with a wide palm surface area and strong grip."

The results, they said, demonstrated that airports can serve as a potential risk zone for an "emerging pandemic threat" — a prospect that has already become a major concern in the aftermath of the 2002 SARS outbreak and the 2014 Ebola epidemic.

https://tinyurl.com/y93zgk36
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This study should be to the absolute surprise of no one. Moral of the story is that you should wash/sanitize your hands after touching any high use surface - whether that's security bins, public transportation handrails, or heavy use public door handles - before touching your face/nose/eyes or eating.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta, United
And TSA screeners wonder why I ask them to change their gloves before pawing inside of my carryon.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
And TSA screeners wonder why I ask them to change their gloves before pawing inside of my carryon.
Do you really? Does it work or do they then paw inside of YOU?

I really hope they start a system of sanitizing the bins automatically or something...
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:06 am

Not surprises that airport security bins carry more germs than toilets. The latter are at least cleaned sometimes.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I can't understand that, and never wonder - in many cases I have already started to change them without the request. It helps to protect me, as much as it helps to protect you.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So don't lick the bins. Germs are everywhere. The average adult human can attribute about 6 lbs of body weight to bacteria.

We evolved to coexist with bacteria. Wash your hands before you eat.
TWA884 and Randyk47 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
So don't lick the bins. Germs are everywhere. The average adult human can attribute about 6 lbs of body weight to bacteria.

I agree don't lick the bins and wash hands often. I have to wonder just how many people clear screening then immediately go and wash their hands?

TSA in all of its corporate wisdom is calling for people to remove food items from carry-on bags on occasion. The packaging those items are in contact the bins, then later when the person goes to consume those items they touch the package and very likely touch the food product. Given those circumstances it would be almost impossible to prevent some cross contamination.

I realize bins cannot be kept sanitized at all times but I wonder if the bins are ever cleaned? Perhaps at least a daily sanitation program would be in order. Or perhaps a completely different system for screening carry-on items where bins are eliminated.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I agree don't lick the bins and wash hands often. I have to wonder just how many people clear screening then immediately go and wash their hands?

TSA in all of its corporate wisdom is calling for people to remove food items from carry-on bags on occasion. The packaging those items are in contact the bins, then later when the person goes to consume those items they touch the package and very likely touch the food product. Given those circumstances it would be almost impossible to prevent some cross contamination.

I realize bins cannot be kept sanitized at all times but I wonder if the bins are ever cleaned? Perhaps at least a daily sanitation program would be in order. Or perhaps a completely different system for screening carry-on items where bins are eliminated.
Well the solution is to not make people remove food...

But the reality is the world is a dirty place.

It wouldn't be hard to build a UV sanitizer into the bin return feed on the automated security lanes. It only takes about 10 seconds of exposure to sanitize a surface with high intensity UV light - and perhaps not every bin would get that every return cycle, it would make them much more sanitary.

Either way this falls down the list of things pretty low on my priority list when it comes to the TSA.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Cleaned or not, every public place is nasty. I'm a mild germaphobe, but I accept it. Your bag you place on the floor under the seat is in contact with the carpet, when shoes have come into contact with human waste in the Lav, the list goes on....
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Hence the reason I put my cpap into a plastic bag and do not reuse the bag when asked to remove from its case and place in the bins
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Cleaned or not, every public place is nasty. I'm a mild germaphobe, but I accept it. Your bag you place on the floor under the seat is in contact with the carpet, when shoes have come into contact with human waste in the Lav, the list goes on....
I accept the fact that if I set my bag down on the airplane floor, I know what has been on that floor. That sort of thing happens every day.

What I do not do every day (or ever) is empty the contents of my bag onto a filthy floor - things I handle all day, every day, things that come in contact with every thing else in my bag. I don't dump my eyeglass case on a filthy floor and then toss it back in next to my handkerchief, wallet, keys and meds, things I handle all day long.

As we enter the flu season, it's a timely reminder that TSA's processes force us to expose ourselves to germs in ways we wouldn't ordinarily.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

However, most of that 6 lbs. is germs/bacteria that are your own and to which you've become immune. It's the germs/bacteria from others that are the danger.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TSA is a disease-spreading vector indeed, and the TSA policies and practices make matters worse than they need to be.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The TSA is a disease-spreading vector indeed, and the TSA policies and practices make matters worse than they need to be.
Recall this comment from several years ago: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/9566632-post20.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.