Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by nrr
Recently at JFK T8 (AA) at TSA Pre-Check I had the opposite of the thread title, I was random for extra security, I went through the "special" scanning machine the agent noted he would "pat me down": he touched my shoulder and my ankle NOTHING else...
If the special scanning machine was the AIT, it will display areas that alarm, and then the TSO only pats down the areas that show an alarm - based upon your comment, this is what appears to have happened.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
If the special scanning machine was the AIT, it will display areas that alarm, and then the TSO only pats down the areas that show an alarm - based upon your comment, this is what appears to have happened.
Why can't the public know if TSA pat down screening protocol involves groping (and yes, I know that TSA would never use the word grope) genitals? How could knowing that possibly compromise security?

As far as I am concerned, if TSA thinks I have something prohibited stashed in my crotch it's time for TSA to stop the screening and refer the issue to police. There has to be limits to what TSA screeners are allowed to do. I think it is reasonable to say those limits start with keeping clothing on and not touching genitals.
tanja and petaluma1 like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 13, 2018 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why can't the public know if TSA pat down screening protocol involves groping (and yes, I know that TSA would never use the word grope) genitals? How could knowing that possibly compromise security?

As far as I am concerned if TSA thinks I have something prohibited stashed in my crotch it's time for TSA to stop the screening and refer the issue to police. There has to be limits to what TSA screeners are allowed to do. I think it is reasonable to say those limits start with keeping clothing on and not touching genitals.
+1000

Yes, anytime a screener has reasonable suspicion about someone's crotch or clothing removal is required, trained LEs should be involved in the search. I simply do not believe the courts support repeated intimate genital contact and clothing removal as part of suspicionless 'administrative' searches.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
+1000

Yes, anytime a screener has reasonable suspicion about someone's crotch or clothing removal is required, trained LEs should be involved in the search. I simply do not believe the courts support repeated intimate genital contact and clothing removal as part of suspicionless 'administrative' searches.
I would go a bit further. Direct contact with breasts should be disallowed. I would frame it as no contact with "intimate areas of the body".
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:58 am

So you are saying that this is no longer in effect:

Just when you thought the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) passenger-screening procedures couldn’t get any worse, they did. As of Thursday, the agency is now conducting “comprehensive” pat-downs on all passengers who require pat-downs...

TSA public-affairs manager Nico Melendez told the Redding Record Searchlight there’s another reason for the new policy: It “lessens the cognitive burden for our officers.”
When will we learn that AIT has been set to alarm on the "groin area" to give screeners an excuse to probe genitals looking for non-existent "dangerous items"?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:16 am

I would go a bit further. Direct contact with breasts should be disallowed. I would frame it as no contact with "intimate areas of the body".
Well, heck, why stop there?

I'm sick of fingers slipping into my underwear and dipping into my butt crack while supposedly checking to see that I don't have an explosive nitroglycerine pills artfully concealed in the waistband of my underwear or my butt crack.

Originally Posted by petaluma1

When will we learn that AIT has been set to alarm on the "groin area" to give screeners an excuse to probe genitals looking for non-existent "dangerous items"?
I have long suspected that the AIT is like the WTMD - it can be set to 'randomly' alarm.

In the case of the WTMD, it's a false beep that generates an entirely unjustified, completely suspicionless full-body grope looking for a non-existent item.

I belleve the AITs are set to randomly flag genitals and breasts for the same reason - to trigger a grope.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 13, 2018 at 2:58 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Well, heck, why stop there?

I'm sick of fingers slipping into my underwear and dipping into my butt crack while supposedly checking to see that I don't have an explosive nitroglycerine pills artfully concealed in the waistband of my underwear or my butt crack.
I would consider the butt crack to be an intimate area. It really isn't that hard to grasp, well except for TSA types.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: TSA
I said absolutely nothing of the sort. What I said, (based upon the previous comment), is that it appeared that the individual was sent to the AIT, where the alarming areas were patted down.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:00 pm

I said absolutely nothing of the sort. What I said, (based upon the previous comment), is that it appeared that the individual was sent to the AIT, where the alarming areas were patted down.
You have now said two different things.

The public was told by TSA last year that if the AIT machine alarms on any area of the body, "the agency is now conducting “comprehensive” pat-downs on all passengers who require pat-downs." Comprehensive pat down being the code word for hands in the genitals. Are you now saying that the TSA never said or did this?

TSA quietly launches new 'enhanced' pat-down procedure

The Transportation Security Administration has quietly adopted new "enhanced" pat-down searches for screening passengers at U.S. airports, a response to weaknesses in airport security.

The TSA on Thursday began using a "universal pat-down" procedure that includes "enhanced security measures" to replace several pat-down tactics used in the past by TSA screeners that are presumably less invasive.
This is the same "procedure" that prompted TSA officials to brief "local law enforcement agencies "in case they are notified that a passenger believes a [TSA security screener] has subjected them to an abnormal screening practice," according to the notice."
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Agreed, you did not comment on what IS the policy now, you merely commented on what policy appeared to have led to nrr's experience.

So, can you confirm that it is currently the agency-wide policy that any and all alarms on WTMD or AIT will lead to a full-body pat-down, and that targeted area pat-downs are no longer performed?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Agreed, you did not comment on what IS the policy now, you merely commented on what policy appeared to have led to nrr's experience.

So, can you confirm that it is currently the agency-wide policy that any and all alarms on WTMD or AIT will lead to a full-body pat-down, and that targeted area pat-downs are no longer performed?
However, nrr said he/she "recently" experienced the partial pat down after alarming the AIT and that experience was different from than indicated by the title of this thread and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27987283-post1.html.

If so, then the partial pat down was in apparent violation of TSA's current prototcol as set forth last year.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:32 pm

However, nrr said he/she "recently" experienced the partial pat down after alarming the AIT and that experience was different from than indicated by the title of this thread and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27987283-post1.html.

If so, then the partial pat down was in apparent violation of TSA's current prototcol as set forth last year.
Or...it was 'screener discretion' or a local airport-specific FSD requirement.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:44 pm

A better question is what kind of adult would create policy to grope 13 year old children and what kind of adult would actually do these disgusting acts?

Just a few yards from where I sit right now is a federal facility housing a large number of sex crime offenders, many of which would be crimes against children. Why are TSA screeners getting away with what others go to prison for?
Strange that TSA considers a child of 13 to be an adult so that he or she can be sexually assaulted by TSA but that same child doesn't have to produce ID until he or she is 18 years of age. Something is out of kilter here.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange that TSA considers a child of 13 to be an adult so that he or she can be sexually assaulted by TSA but that same child doesn't have to produce ID until he or she is 18 years of age. Something is out of kilter here.
Out of kilter? If it isn't TSA then I'm living in the matrix.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

Does the boob chop count or no? I've always gotten them when I got picked for a pat down, but recently, a lady put her finger under the bra strap and felt around the band & underwire. That was a first for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.