Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The United States has an obligation to its citizens to vet non-citizens before allowing them into the country. If the current vetting process is weak then steps should be taken to make sure we know who is crossing our border. I don't see any problem with taking those steps.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The United States has an obligation to its citizens to vet non-citizens before allowing them into the country. If the current vetting process is weak then steps should be taken to make sure we know who is crossing our border. I don't see any problem with taking those steps.
There is just one small problem with the abve. There is no evidence that the current vetting process is weak.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There is just one small problem with the abve. There is no evidence that the current vetting process is weak.
Is there any evidence that it is not weak? A short review period is certainly called for.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Is there any evidence that it is not weak? A short review period is certainly called for.
They can review all they want but to suddenly -- and without notice -- change the rules totally screwed up a LT of people's lives. The policy was implemented in a slipshod way and leaves far more questions than answers (see the rest of this thread for details). <deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
<deleted by moderator>

That's all well and good but you can't go changing rules overnight or block people from entering who had the correct documentation when boarding their flight and not when landing.

<deleted by moderator>

The US also breached its reciprocal agreements with certain countries. The US has now back tracked on it but for a day or two Dual Canadian citizens who were originally born in one of the listed countries were banned from entry. This is a breach of the agreements signed in NAFTA and the agreement that was signed almost 100 years ago.

You also have to have clear rules. The director of DHS didn't even need the rules were coming in until after the order had been signed.

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:26 pm Reason: Redact quote of and response to deleted post / Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
<deleted by moderator>

You do realize, don't you, that this ban does not apply to Muslim-majority nations that have actually exported terrorists to the US. such as Saudi Arabia? <deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:25 pm Reason: Redact quote of deleted post/Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Interesting post in the Gaurdian popped up about 45 minutes ago:

US Diplomats' Memo Sparks Mutiny Murmurs

I'd say that a massive, highly visible work stoppage among the rank-and-file (some conoffs are actually in a NLRB/FLRA recognized labor union, IIRC) might actually be the best public diplomacy move that State can make at this moment in history.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's a big "if". At some point, the increased costs to marginally reduce an already very low risk just isn't worth it. For example, the government could increase the costs to investigate a person to say a million dollars for each "extreme vetting" and reach a totalitarian level of investigation into the individual and perhaps even their American connections. But would it really be worth it being for each and every immigrant and non-immigrant in the absence of evidence of there being a great risk? I say no.

Risk management makes sense. But this is a policy rooted in a kind of risk aversion that is counterproductive on so many levels. It's why I won't support this order.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<deleted by moderator>

With no imminent threat, blocking people who are in-transit, who have been approved to travel here, or who are already LAWFUL permanent residents is absolutely inexcusable. To turn away refugees in need is similarly inexcusable. These people do not just show up on our shores unannounced. They have to go through a lengthy screening process. We know who they are. Grandstanding by the president about "extreme vetting" shows a complete lack of understanding of the actual process.

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:38 pm Reason: Redact quote of and response to deleted post / Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
That's all well and good but you can't go changing rules overnight or block people from entering who had the correct documentation when boarding their flight and not when landing.

<deleted by moderator>

The US also breached its reciprocal agreements with certain countries. The US has now back tracked on it but for a day or two Dual Canadian citizens who were originally born in one of the listed countries were banned from entry. This is a breach of the agreements signed in NAFTA and the agreement that was signed almost 100 years ago.

You also have to have clear rules. The director of DHS didn't even need the rules were coming in until after the order had been signed.

<deleted by moderator>
<deleted by moderator>

A non-citizen has no right to enter the U.S. even if the rules change at the last second.

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:39 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
You do realize, don't you, that this ban does not apply to Muslim-majority nations that have actually exported terrorists to the US. such as Saudi Arabia? <deleted by moderator>
Yes I do, they screwed up on that point.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:20 pm Reason: Conform quoted post to moderator's edit
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

3rd Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
This is the Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

This is not the place to discuss terrorism and violent extremism in general, policies and actions of the Iranian government or anything that is not directly related to travel security and border protection policy.

Posts that are political in nature belong in OMNI/PR. If you wish to debate issues that do not directly pertain to travel and border security, please do so there (access to OMNI/PR is limited to FlyerTalk members who have been on FT for 180 days and have made 180 posts).

Thank you.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Additional posts have been edited and deleted.

Before posting in this thread, please review your message to make sure that it directly pertains to travel and border security and is not political in nature.

The next person to go OMNI/PR in this thread will earn time off from posting on FlyerTalk for a minimum of a week without further warning!

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:07 pm

<deleted by moderator>

A non-citizen has no right to enter the U.S. even if the rules change at the last second.

<deleted by moderator>
I am not a citizen. But I hold a resident card since 1994. So I would have no right to enter the USA? My home is here. Everything I own is here.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of dual-citizens of US VWP countries may end up on the sacrificial altar if they don't think more about how they are going to do this. Already, for example, Persian Brits, Persian French, Persian Germans and Persian Swedes amongst others have trouble traveling to the US since ESTAs were denied to many such people despite many of these people having never even been in Iran.
You're clearly not aware that dual-nationals of the seven countries on the list, and indeed anyone at all who has visited said countries in recent years, is already banned from the VWP. President Obama signed bill HR158 into law over a year ago, to create said ban. The list that Trump has applied his order to is the list that was created and used by the Obama administration.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's also likely to damage some careers.
Confirmed through my wife's network that Bloomberg has rescinded a job offer to a talented Persian computer scientist. They said that they'll consider him for future positions in Canada, but don't have anything concrete to offer him at the moment.

Surely, there are now demonstrable, quantifiable damages accruing to some impacted parties on the immigrant visas front that can be considered in court. Is anyone out there (or does anyone know of any news outlet) tracking the status of the various legal challenges out there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.