Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another story of abuse of a disabled passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another story of abuse of a disabled passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I think that's something all female passengers should do in order to protect themselves from wandering fingers. I believe there are also incontinence pads for men; perhaps they should start wearing such protection also.
I was once also almost violated by a pat-down from TSA. But to be honest I as a man don't really mind it. Sure it is unpleasant and not something you want to undergo but I can't say that it is that traumatizing for me.

I am sure that for a woman this is very different.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chollie
I learned the hard way to never identify a sensitive spot. I've had a screener hit the sensitive spot hard enough to make me cry out and double over.
Same here. Once at MEM I was karate-chopped in a "sensitive area" so hard that I was unable to walk to my gate afterwards. I had to sit for about 20 minutes before I could move again.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yeah, I read about the famous 'groin chops' and nearly every time I fly, I have a screener's hands probing my genitals, often roughly, but nothing I would have called an out-and-out 'chop'.

Until the day I did get a groin chop. The closest I've ever come at any other time in my life to experiencing what happened at PHX T2 was when I hit a bump on my bike and came down on the crossbar.

It was no accident and there was no apology.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:32 am

Indeed. That particular one at MEM was retaliatory - I had refused to go through the backscatter x-Ray like the other sheep, and the screener was very annoyed. He kept muttering about how stupid passengers are the whole time he was doing the hands-on thing.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:47 am

I'm an 'involuntary medical opt-out' - I can't assume and hold the position for the NoS.

At PHX T2, if you are physically incapable of using the NoS, then you are an 'opt-out': full grope, bag search-n-swab every single time.

One of the moat dragons has actually gotten spittle on my face, she was so close, and she kept repeating 'then you are an OPT-OUT' when I explained my physical limitations. PHX T2 takes it as a personal affront that you dare to come to their checkpoint incapable of doing what they want you to do. It's like if they threaten you enough, your physical limitations will magically disappear and your body will be capable of doing what they want it to do.

I so wish that were the case.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BSBD
Same here. Once at MEM I was karate-chopped in a "sensitive area" so hard that I was unable to walk to my gate afterwards. I had to sit for about 20 minutes before I could move again.
Yeah, I read about the famous 'groin chops' and nearly every time I fly, I have a screener's hands probing my genitals, often roughly, but nothing I would have called an out-and-out 'chop'.

Until the day I did get a groin chop. The closest I've ever come at any other time in my life to experiencing what happened at PHX T2 was when I hit a bump on my bike and came down on the crossbar.

Did either of you ever file a complaint, not with the TSA but with the DHS Inspector General? The IG might care a good deal more than the TSA. At least, if people file complaints with them then there would be an increasing number of records on file in a central repository of abusive behavior on the part of screeners.

I'd go so far as to request the CCTV coverage of any patdown that turned abusive.

Link to IG's complaint form: https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:11 pm

This was a few years ago. I avoid PHX T2 at all costs.

Stacey Amato didn't get much help from the IG, and I'm quite sure that the IG was aware of her case.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

This was a few years ago. I avoid PHX T2 at all costs.

Stacey Amato didn't get much help from the IG, and I'm quite sure that the IG was aware of her case.
May have been aware of it, may not have been. Being aware is not the same as having to respond in some manner to a complaint filed with the IG's office about screener abuse.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did either of you ever file a complaint, not with the TSA but with the DHS Inspector General? The IG might care a good deal more than the TSA. At least, if people file complaints with them then there would be an increasing number of records on file in a central repository of abusive behavior on the part of screeners.

I'd go so far as to request the CCTV coverage of any patdown that turned abusive.

Link to IG's complaint form: https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
It seems to me that the karate chops rise to the level of criminal conduct. Has anyone tried filing assault and battery charges?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:24 am

Did either of you ever file a complaint, not with the TSA but with the DHS Inspector General?
I did not. The one I described above happened during a time when I wasn't flying that much, and I was very time-constrained that year.

I've had a few other karate chops, but that one was definitely the worst. As mentioned above, I eventually learned not to identify any "sensitive areas," because the screener invariably was rougher there than elsewhere when I did.

As my travel increased, I also learned which airports/security areas were less likely to have a whole staff of sadistic cretins, so I could make better decisions on where and when to opt out.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:43 am

FWIW, since I've started answering "everywhere" to "sensitive areas", I've mostly gotten gentler treatment than before. Especially when I arrive in an airport wheelchair.

No karate chops yet, though have gotten very firm crotch swipes, which I expect would be painful to someone with any of various conditions. And pre-wheelchair I have gotten "resistance" hits that were painful.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: TSA
Interesting comments to the from someone who claims to be a former TSA screener:
I am about 99.99% certain that Mog is not a TSO, former or current.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am about 99.99% certain that Mog is not a TSO, former or current.
What is sad is that Mog fits the profile of far to many TSA employees.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
As a passenger with a disability, I have often wondered about this. Before being subjected to the pat down, I am always asked whether I have any areas that are particularly sensitive. In my case, the answer is no. I have to wonder what happens when the answer is yes. Are TSOs trained to perform a more gentle pat down on such areas? What is the procedure? I have no idea.
If you identify a sensitive area, my experience is the TSA clerk will use that as the target for their retaliation for you making extra work by opting out. I have 2 surgical scars, one on my neck and one on the upper chest which visible if I'm wearing something lower than a turtleneck. Both are extremely sensitive to touch, and pressure on the one on my neck actually makes me gasp for air. So when I'm wearing a scoop neck shirt, it's SOP for the groper to put their thumb directly on the scars and grind it in.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you identify a sensitive area, my experience is the TSA clerk will use that as the target for their retaliation for you making extra work by opting out. I have 2 surgical scars, one on my neck and one on the upper chest which visible if I'm wearing something lower than a turtleneck. Both are extremely sensitive to touch, and pressure on the one on my neck actually makes me gasp for air. So when I'm wearing a scoop neck shirt, it's SOP for the groper to put their thumb directly on the scars and grind it in.
I can't reiterate too often that when that happens you need to file a complaint with the DHS OIG. That office needs to know what's happening to passengers at the hands of screeners and you can be sure TSA isn't sharing the complaints it gets with that office. Get and name names if at all possible.

Don't file with the TSA.

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 18, 2016 at 5:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.