Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another story of abuse of a disabled passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another story of abuse of a disabled passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
As a passenger with a disability, I have often wondered about this. Before being subjected to the pat down, I am always asked whether I have any areas that are particularly sensitive. In my case, the answer is no. I have to wonder what happens when the answer is yes. Are TSOs trained to perform a more gentle pat down on such areas? What is the procedure? I have no idea.
I traveled a couple of times after having back surgery. I didn't find the concern or handling of the pat down to take into account the fact that I told the screener I had sensitive incisions. I think he made it a bit rougher just because he could.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
There are multiple reports that the clerks make sure they rub that area harder.

I'll admit to temporarily going commando through checkpoints wearing just sweat pants when doing 100% opt outs hoping for a hard pull on the pants legs. Never happened, although I did take off a hoodie one day when ordered without a shirt underneath. The clerks went ballistic.
I had something similar happen once, years ago. I was wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a very light nylon windbreaker (pullover style).

The belt monitor (a guy) told me the windbreaker had to come off. I know better than to argue with a TSO, so I took it off.

I did have a sporty bra underneath. The xray screener (a woman) was angry and so was a TSO standing next to her, chatting - not at me, but at the guy for telling me to take my windbreaker off.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I traveled a couple of times after having back surgery. I didn't find the concern or handling of the pat down to take into account the fact that I told the screener I had sensitive incisions. I think he made it a bit rougher just because he could.
I learned the hard way to never identify a sensitive spot. I've had a screener hit the sensitive spot hard enough to make me cry out and double over.

All that happened was that the screener insisted on starting the entire process (including the verbal cr*p) again and hitting the spot even harder. I flinched, broke eye contact, and she started AGAIN. After a couple more chops to the sensitive area, I actually stopped the screening and called for the police, who witnessed my final intimate grope by a supervisor who managed to clear me without harsh attention to the sensitive spot.

PHX T2, no surprise.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Very disturbing. Very disturbing.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

I got a new insulin pump and CGM last year that can go through the body scanners. The scanner picks up two anomalies for them. After the scanner, I tell the TSA about the pump. All they want is for me to touch the area of the anomaly over my clothing and then they ETD swab my hands. They never touched me at all. I suppose the ETD test would pick up that my pump is a bomb, but it was quite the difference from the usual full patdown I would get with my previous pump that couldn't go through the scanners.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spd476
I got a new insulin pump and CGM last year that can go through the body scanners. The scanner picks up two anomalies for them. After the scanner, I tell the TSA about the pump. All they want is for me to touch the area of the anomaly over my clothing and then they ETD swab my hands. They never touched me at all. I suppose the ETD test would pick up that my pump is a bomb, but it was quite the difference from the usual full patdown I would get with my previous pump that couldn't go through the scanners.
That's exactly the way someone with an illness/disability/incision should be treated.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by petaluma1
They could have used an HHMD and done an explosives test. Or they could work really hard and come up with some kind of PreCheck system for the disabled, a system that is not subject to randomness. TSACares certainly doesn't help in this situation.

OR.....they could used Pre-style screening for ALL passengers.
This would be an issue even with Pre - if the WTMD alarms, the appropriate response is a pat-down.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:28 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by chollie
ysolde, TSOs have posted in this forum in the past pointing out that declaring a sensitive area on your body is a 'red flag' because it's exactly what a bad guy would do to try to divert attention from concealed contraband. Therefore, sensitive areas are supposed to get extra attention.

Many TSOs choose to act as though that ALL pax who declare sensitive areas are, at the very least, liars concealing something. They then compound this stupidity by believing that the only satisfactory way to clear a declared sensitive area is by rubbing or pressing very hard.

One TSO posted that if he does a groin grope and the pax doesn't flinch, he's immediately suspicious and doubles down until he does get a reaction. Of course, he never posted about finding a single piece of groin contraband after all his 'doubling down' efforts.
Each time I am asked before a molestation grope if I have any sensitive areas, I always reply, "Yes, my genitals." The reaction I get from TSOs varies (some sigh, some roll their eyes, some say "We don't touch those!").

It's the latter response I "enjoy" because, then, when the TSO makes contact, I loudly say, "Hey, those are my genitals!". And I have a legitimate complaint for the supervisor because I was told my genitals would not be touched.

But, with very few exceptions, after I say that with a nonsmiling face to the TSO, I usually get no contact and often the contact stays even further away than what otherwise would be the case (based on gropes before I started saying this).
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:30 pm

I take it you never tried to go through the checkpoint with a covert cheeseburger stashed in your groin?

'Cause you know, that's just so believable.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:43 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
I take it you never tried to go through the checkpoint with a covert cheeseburger stashed in your groin?

'Cause you know, that's just so believable.

Nope! Might be interesting to come in contact with a cheeseburger that's explosive, though...must have lots of "sauce" on it.

Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'll admit to temporarily going commando through checkpoints wearing just sweat pants when doing 100% opt outs hoping for a hard pull on the pants legs. Never happened, although I did take off a hoodie one day when ordered without a shirt underneath. The clerks went ballistic.
I've worn a kilt through TSA before. When told to take my (webbing & D-ring) belt off, I said they probably really didn't want me to do that, but if they wanted to put it in writing as a command, I'd comply. Somehow they always backed down and just wanded / groped me.

On the other hand, one of those times, the screener directly squeezed my dick while grabbing all the kilt fabric. :/

I wonder what law or regulation permits the police to direct TSA to perform a strip search without a warrant or an arrest.
I very much wonder this also. Ditto with the part about requiring people to take their pants down at all. The TSA manuals I've seen say they're not allowed to ask pax to remove clothing or prosthetics or to move clothing in a way that would expose skin … but there's a lot that's been withheld from me, so maybe it's contradicted somewhere.

TSA performing a strip search at LEO direction, though … that would be a whole lot of interesting, legally speaking. TSA has always adamantly maintained in court that local cops have nothing to do with TSA and are always acting independently, not at TSA's direction, and TSA aren't intentionally engaging in any law enforcement motivated activities.

TSA performing a LE strip search would directly contradict all of that. I would love to know of any cases of it happening; please contact me (PM or s.ai/contact) if you know of any.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:01 pm

The former TSO whose post was quoted above indicates it is SOP for multiple TSOs to grope a pax's genitals and then compare notes. S/he also indicates that it is SOP to tell a pax to drop his/her pants.

I find it really offensive (but not surprising) that this TSO suggests pax wait until they've cleared security to "stuff your pants with whatever".

I guess that means if you're wearing an adult diaper or an ostomy bag, you are supposed to remove it prior to the checkpoint? And what about the guy who always triggers the NoS because he is unusually endowed?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Interesting comments to the from someone who claims to be a former TSA screener:
The unintended consequences of replacing the actual images with the computer-processed ones.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
The excesses of TSA in the US are often humiliating and without cause. While most TSOs are polite, the occasional overenthusiastic grope/probe of private areas has led me to wear ultra-absorbent maxi pads whenever I travel. I just don't need to feel a TSO's fingers . . . there.

Another thing, in fall/winter, my travel wardrobe is fairly consistent: I wear a sweater over a turtleneck. The turtleneck is usually made of a very thin synthetic material, while the sweater is made of cashmere. Works in a wide range of circumstances (with jeans, knit pants (my go-to on travel days), and pencil skirts). Well, the last time I traveled internationally (early April), the TSO at JFK asked me to remove my thin cashmere sweater, something he did not ask of any other passenger on that chilly day. I was left in a very thin black turtleneck, meant to be worn under a jacket or sweater, while they found a female TSO to do the pat down and then pat me down. My sweater (along with my shoes and carry-on) sat on the end of the conveyor for what seemed like forever.

At LHR and FRA, I offered to remove my sweater, thinking it was a new thing, and they looked horrified at the notion that I should undress any more than any other passenger, simply because I was in a wheelchair.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ysolde
The excesses of TSA in the US are often humiliating and without cause. While most TSOs are polite, the occasional overenthusiastic grope/probe of private areas has led me to wear ultra-absorbent maxi pads whenever I travel. I just don't need to feel a TSO's fingers . . . there.

Another thing, in fall/winter, my travel wardrobe is fairly consistent: I wear a sweater over a turtleneck. The turtleneck is usually made of a very thin synthetic material, while the sweater is made of cashmere. Works in a wide range of circumstances (with jeans, knit pants (my go-to on travel days), and pencil skirts). Well, the last time I traveled internationally (early April), the TSO at JFK asked me to remove my thin cashmere sweater, something he did not ask of any other passenger on that chilly day. I was left in a very thin black turtleneck, meant to be worn under a jacket or sweater, while they found a female TSO to do the pat down and then pat me down. My sweater (along with my shoes and carry-on) sat on the end of the conveyor for what seemed like forever.

At LHR and FRA, I offered to remove my sweater, thinking it was a new thing, and they looked horrified at the notion that I should undress any more than any other passenger, simply because I was in a wheelchair.
I think that's something all female passengers should do in order to protect themselves from wandering fingers. I believe there are also incontinence pads for men; perhaps they should start wearing such protection also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.