Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wow. Beyond sickening. I can't believe it.

I know this post is late, but I'm just reading this entire thread, and wow... even if TSA didn't have anything directly to do with the 19-year old being punched, the whole situation could have been avoided by some diplomacy.

I wish I didn't have to read this entire thread and watch the videos on a Monday morning. Ugh. Definitely not a great start to the day, and it's really sad how we've came so low as a nation.

I would give most blame directly to TSA. It was the TSA employees involved who had such poor customer service skills that required them to summon the police.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Aug 8, 2016 at 11:10 am Reason: edited for clarity
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would give most blame directly to TSA. It was the TSA employees involved who had such poor customer service skills that required them to summon the police.
Remember: TSA is not a "customer service" organization. They're a governmental agency. And while you and I know that government is *supposed* to serve the people, government in the United States, by and large, has completely forgotten or abandoned that particular principal and now exists only to serve itself.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Remember: TSA is not a "customer service" organization. They're a governmental agency. And while you and I know that government is *supposed* to serve the people, government in the United States, by and large, has completely forgotten or abandoned that particular principal and now exists only to serve itself.
Disney isn't a "security agency" but they seem to do a decent job of that.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Disney isn't a "security agency" but they seem to do a decent job of that.
No better than TSA. They engage in a farcical security theater to make their guests feel safer, when in reality they're no more secure than a shopping mall.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:46 am

They engage in a farcical security theater to make their guests feel safer, when in reality they're no more secure than a shopping mall.
I don't go thru a metal detector at the shopping mall...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I don't go thru a metal detector at the shopping mall...
I did in Amman at the Galleria. Yes, it was total security theater...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No better than TSA. They engage in a farcical security theater to make their guests feel safer, when in reality they're no more secure than a shopping mall.

The point is that there are many facets to any endeavor. TSA has a customer service facet, Disney a security facet. How well that is done impacts the other aspects of the endeavor and TSA seems on the whole to have issues with doing any key facet well.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:01 pm

CCTV looks like the police takedown was warranted. Disability or not, she shouldn't have shoved/hit the police officer.

Watch video here:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news....html?d=mobile

Last edited by Batmanuel; Aug 11, 2016 at 5:10 pm Reason: Link to cctv
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Batmanuel
CCTV looks like the police takedown was warranted. Disability or not, she shouldn't have shoved/hit the police officer.

Watch video here:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news....html?d=mobile
After watching that there is no indication she is "impaired" so the cops couldn't have known that. She also used force against them.

I think that means a lot of people, especially saizai, should apologize to the TSA and the airport police for their false statements. The officers tried with restraint for almost 30 sec to simply wait it out, when someone is assaulting you that is a very long time.

It also says she was isolated from her mom who was standing right beside her the entire time.

So saizai where is the apology?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by theddo
After watching that there is no indication she is "impaired" so the cops couldn't have known that. She also used force against them.

Of all the factors police officers must deal with when interacting with people one of, if not the most complicated, is considering whether the person they are dealing with is suffering/experiencing any sort of mental disorder.

This incident is a perfect example of just how complicated if, IF, as the lawsuit claims, this person was truly suffering from some sort of mental disorder.

Up until the midpoint of the video the daughter is calmly talking with TSA and the later arriving airport police officers. Throughout the interaction it certainly appears (since we cannot know what words were exchanged) that she was lucid, rational and reasonable.

The article says the lawsuit claims she was impaired from radiation treatment, the removal of a brain tumor and that the aggressive cancer treatment left the teen with limited ability to talk, walk, stand, see and hear. "The security personnel failed to recognize that she was confused because of her obvious disability and was unable to cooperate with the search," the lawsuit said.

There is no visible indication from the video that she was confused nor that her ability to walk, talk, see, stand or hear was limited, let alone that she was unable to cooperate with screening as she is clearly seen standing and walking under her own control and calmly conversing for a prolonged period with multiple people. There is no "obvious" disability (even if the mother or daughter advised them she was disabled or impaired).

The behavior and relaxed posture of the police officers and others present underscores this as it indicates to me they did not believe the person was irrational or posed an imminent threat.

Most people comply (which is different from agree) with the reasonable orders of law enforcement. So it is not until the daughter physically resists (and assaults) the officer that there is an visible indication she might be suffering from a mental disorder.

But at that point it is too late, her actions have already dictated what would happen next. From the video evidence it appears to me the officers acted with restraint and properly.

I dont know if the daughter was charged in the incident but this lawsuit seems to me a way to negotiate away the charges and possibly recover any expenses (canceled flights, hotels, medical fees, etc.) incurred as a result of the incident.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
Of all the factors police officers must deal with when interacting with people one of, if not the most complicated, is considering whether the person they are dealing with is suffering/experiencing any sort of mental disorder.

This incident is a perfect example of just how complicated if, IF, as the lawsuit claims, this person was truly suffering from some sort of mental disorder.

Up until the midpoint of the video the daughter is calmly talking with TSA and the later arriving airport police officers. Throughout the interaction it certainly appears (since we cannot know what words were exchanged) that she was lucid, rational and reasonable.

The article says the lawsuit claims she was impaired from radiation treatment, the removal of a brain tumor and that the aggressive cancer treatment left the teen with limited ability to talk, walk, stand, see and hear. "The security personnel failed to recognize that she was confused because of her obvious disability and was unable to cooperate with the search," the lawsuit said.

There is no visible indication from the video that she was confused nor that her ability to walk, talk, see, stand or hear was limited, let alone that she was unable to cooperate with screening as she is clearly seen standing and walking under her own control and calmly conversing for a prolonged period with multiple people. There is no "obvious" disability (even if the mother or daughter advised them she was disabled or impaired).

The behavior and relaxed posture of the police officers and others present underscores this as it indicates to me they did not believe the person was irrational or posed an imminent threat.

Most people comply (which is different from agree) with the reasonable orders of law enforcement. So it is not until the daughter physically resists (and assaults) the officer that there is an visible indication she might be suffering from a mental disorder.

But at that point it is too late, her actions have already dictated what would happen next. From the video evidence it appears to me the officers acted with restraint and properly.

I dont know if the daughter was charged in the incident but this lawsuit seems to me a way to negotiate away the charges and possibly recover any expenses (canceled flights, hotels, medical fees, etc.) incurred as a result of the incident.
The OP said all charges against the woman were thrown out. So what do we make of the claim in the last paragraph above?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The OP said all charges against the woman were thrown out. So what do we make of the claim in the last paragraph above?
1) that I didn't read or recall all comments made in the thread (charges were dropped; the thread is 6 pages long....)
2) that the family is trying to recover expenses incurred as a result of the incident
3) something else...?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

1) that I didn't read or recall all comments made in the thread (charges were dropped; the thread is 6 pages long....)
2) that the family is trying to recover expenses incurred as a result of the incident
3) something else...?
The initial post which started this thread had the line that all charges were thrown out. I still don't know what to make of that, especially if this incident happened in 2015.

I do know that their chances of winning a lawsuit against the governmental parties would be much lower if the woman were prosecuted and found guilty of a crime.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 12, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:19 am

No, it was thrown out. And to be honest based on how she was described and what she had went through with the medical treatment and how most people feel afterwards that was probably for the best and right - when you had some peace and quiet and could think about it from behind a desk in a courtroom.

The officers involved didn't get to sit down and ponder about what would happen, if they had that luxury it probably wouldn't have gone down as it did.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

The officers involved in this incident had plenty of time to decide on how much force to use or not use in this incident. Even after the grabbing and shoving started.

If the handicapped woman looked like Tom Brady's Brazilian wife, would they have dealt with her in the same way? Or would the grabbing and shoving have gone down differently from start to finish?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.