Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
People who have limitations have as much right to travel...
Yup but they need to comply with all security protocol while doing so. Being disabled or handicapped is not an excuse to NOT comply with federal regulations.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yup but they need to comply with all security protocol while doing so. Being disabled or handicapped is not an excuse to NOT comply with federal regulations.
Very true.

A 4-year-old with Down's Syndrome has a right to travel by air. That 4-year-old will be expected to comply with all federal regulations. That child will require the assistance and guidance of his/her caregiver.

If the child gets confused, makes a break for it, and TSA/LE refuse to allow the caregiver to assist in any way (including advising TSA/LE on the child's limitations and how best to communicate with the child), who is at fault?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
If the child gets confused, makes a break for it, and TSA/LE refuse to allow the caregiver to assist in any way (including advising TSA/LE on the child's limitations and how best to communicate with the child), who is at fault?
The conversation of who's fault it is doesn't interest me in your hypothetical. The 4 year old's parents need to grab the 4 year old, bring him/her back, restrain them, while TSA does what it needs to do.

Children and/or handicapped people are NOT exempt from following federal regulations.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The conversation of who's fault it is doesn't interest me in your hypothetical. The 4 year old's parents need to grab the 4 year old, bring him/her back, restrain them, while TSA does what it needs to do.

Children and/or handicapped people are NOT exempt from following federal regulations.
My hypothetical is very similar to this situation. The 'child' was unable to understand what was happening and what was expected of her. Her mother was prevented from assisting in any way: grabbing, bringing her back, restraining her - or even talking to her to calm her down and de-escalate the situation so screening could be completed.

TSA/LE policies are at fault.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Very true.

A 4-year-old with Down's Syndrome has a right to travel by air. That 4-year-old will be expected to comply with all federal regulations. That child will require the assistance and guidance of his/her caregiver.

Bolding above is mine. In the case being discussed in this thread, which chollie is referencing, is not a hypothetical. The caretaker (her mother) attempted to assist/communicate/etc. and either TSA or the police prevented the mother from assisting.

Even if we allow that the caregiver must take full responsibility for the person with a disability, having that responsibility still requires the relevant security authorities to allow said caregiver to, y'know, take care of their child/relative/friend.

Your statement that this is all on the shoulders of the caretaker is like saying someone who got injured in a car accident while wearing a seatbelt is the only one at fault even if the carmaker installed faulty belt anchors and airbags. In that case, there's a perfectly reasonable assumption that carmaker has installed safety equipment that will actually do its job correctly, and a reasonable level of responsibility/blame on the carmaker if their safety equipment fails to do its job properly.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:30 am
Suspended

My hypothetical is very similar to this situation. The 'child' was unable to understand what was happening and what was expected of her. Her mother was prevented from assisting in any way: grabbing, bringing her back, restraining her - or even talking to her to calm her down and de-escalate the situation so screening could be completed.

TSA/LE policies are at fault.
What 4 year old child are you referring to? I've not read about any parent not being able to restrain their own 4 year old at TSA.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

I would hope you, sir, are never blessed with a child with developmental disabilities because you have a lot to learn. Your scenario just ain't the way it works.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not what your statement was about that I responded to. You have changed the parameters.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
What 4 year old child are you referring to? I've not read about any parent not being able to restrain their own 4 year old at TSA.
Replace 4-year old child with 18-year old girl with disabilities.

Now imagine you are that woman's mother/father/caretaker, who is travelling with her specifically to assist her through all aspects of her travel experience, are trying to get to her to comfort and/or restrain her, and a TSA employee is physically blocking you from doing so while also trying to lead her to an area where she is even further away from you.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
...and a TSA employee is physically blocking you from doing so while also trying to lead her to an area where she is even further away from you.
My guess is that TSA treats an 18 year old differently than a 4 year old.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I would hope you, sir, are never blessed with a child with developmental disabilities because you have a lot to learn. Your scenario just ain't the way it works.
And you have a lot to learn. Airport security trumps any and all needs of the disabled.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you have a lot to learn. Airport security trumps any and all needs of the disabled.
Perhaps it's the manner in which that trump card is being played that is the problem.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that TSA treats an 18 year old differently than a 4 year old.
Fine. You're still responsible for this 18 year old with disabilities, as their caretaker who has accompanied them on this trip.

In your infinite wisdom, what would you do?

No. By that measure, anyone with a walker or wheelchair or liquid medication over 3 oz. should never be allowed through airport security.

If you truly believe the statement you just made, and all of its implications, then this conversation is over.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

You are wrong yet again. Tom Sawyer comes to mind.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:22 pm

Very true.

A 4 year old with Down's Syndrome does not have a right to travel by air. The right to travel have never been extended that far, and indeed the no-fly lists indicate the federal government wouldn't wish it to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.