Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
The website may not have been updated in a long while. In any case, the collection of biometric data on exit is still in the "pilot testing phase" so it is happening at only select airports and in limited amounts/flights. Yes, iris scans are now in the pilot phase.
Iris scans for this have been in the pilot phase for this even before 2017.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:23 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
What about the BOSS program? Any recent updates on that? It has been 3-4 years since it was announced.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:24 pm

From the documents that I have been able to access, it appears that iris scans were part of the pilot for the land crossing before. I am not finding anything describing iris scans at the airport as part of the pilot. The documents also seem to indicate that the airport part of the pilot program was supposed to end no later than September of 2016.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by guflyer
From the documents that I have been able to access, it appears that iris scans were part of the pilot for the land crossing before. I am not finding anything describing iris scans at the airport as part of the pilot. The documents also seem to indicate that the airport part of the pilot program was supposed to end no later than September of 2016.
Pilot/field testing is ongoing. Keep in mind that whenever the term biometric is used it means iris (or finger or face or any combination of the three). At least one airport is scheduled to implement in 2018 (which one depends on which one is first to accommodate the space reconfiguration and other requirements needed by CBP). My guess is it will be implemented at as many as 5 by the end of 2019.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:00 am
Suspended

If/whenever this gets fully implemented nationwide, watch the cost for travel increase even further. The government will end up making passengers pay for this additional expense too.

Those mileage tickets using your frequent flyer miles/points are going to become more expensive because of this, as the amount of taxes/fees the government will charge will rise under cover of this being a sort of user fee too.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:11 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
And I live in Hong Kong where carrying an ID card is compulsory (and no, a driving licence won't do - you are HK resident and carry your HKID card or you're not and you carry your passport)
That's because a HK driving licence must always be paired with an HKID since the licence itself has no photo. Interestingly, you can progress from learner to full licence in HK without ever showing the Transport Department your real HKID, just a photocopy, (although you do need to have the real one on you anyway...)

In the modern world, sadly, there does seem to be some justification for checking that a traveller is who they say they are. In fact, if you accept that additional security is justified for an aeroplane trip as opposed to a train trip (which is a whole different discussion) then why should there be any difference between an outgoing international flight and an incoming one? Hijackings can happen in either direction, and terrorists can start their journey at either end.
Security checks may be required but if these are effective then there is no need for ID checks. ID checks are only necessary for enforcing immigration restrictions or restrictions on travel such as being a wanted criminal suspect.

That's the rub, of course. I get constantly hacked off when going back into the UK that I have to queue up for a stupid bloody e-gate which takes twenty times as long to process me and my passport as a human would, particularly when half of the sodding things aren't working, and three immigration personnel, who could be doing something useful (such as - oh, I don't know, CHECKING PASSPORTS!), have to sit around at their desks getting bored out of their brains but need to be on standby in case there is a problem processing someone going through the gates.
I find that the e-gates are faster in the UK once you are used to using them. They are only slower compared to human officers because over 50% of people are slow at using them and so if there is a long queue of people it moves slowly. About 80% of the time the queue for each gate will have 0 to 2 people in it and that gets me through faster than going to a human.

I've never seen 3 officers on "standby" for people rejected by the e-gates - maximum 2, usually 1 (but if only 1, then there is usually someone else working the e-gates manually, by which I mean they review the semi-rejects on their screen)
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Several recent posts discussing at gate ID checks which did not involve collection of biometric data were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If/whenever this gets fully implemented nationwide, watch the cost for travel increase even further. The government will end up making passengers pay for this additional expense too.

Those mileage tickets using your frequent flyer miles/points are going to become more expensive because of this, as the amount of taxes/fees the government will charge will rise under cover of this being a sort of user fee too.
a little delayed in responding this post but there is no doubt; the congressional direction specifically calls for a fee to be charged to recover $1,000M over 10 years.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
a little delayed in responding this post but there is no doubt; the congressional direction specifically calls for a fee to be charged to recover $1,000M over 10 years.
When Congress is trying to shove expensive stuff upon Americans via the budge "reconciliation" procedure, the legislation isn't allowed to increase the federal deficit after a period of 10 years. Having physical exit controls at all US airports would cost way more than $1,000,000,000 over ten years. And they'll make Americans and others to pay for it somehow when we are flying out of the US, assuming this fortress America mentality gets more thoroughly implemented.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
DHS wants to scan faces of Americans who travel internationally

It would be an expansion of a 2004 law meant to collect biometric data on foreign visitors.

So legality may be doubtful.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...leave-country/

They are doing the scanning already at 6 airports as pilot programs.

But law enforcement agencies have already been collecting biometric data on Americans, with as many as half of all Americans already in databases storing biometric data.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
It would be an expansion of a 2004 law meant to collect biometric data on foreign visitors.

But law enforcement agencies have already been collecting biometric data on Americans, with as many as half of all Americans already in databases storing biometric data.
Taken directly from state motor vehicle records.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by wco81

With perhaps some rare exceptions that someone will bring up shortly, "Americans who travel internationally" have passports. With passport photos. Copies of which are almost certainly maintained by DHS or one of its associated agencies.

So DHS already has photos of all the Americans who travel internationally.

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I have to say is that I would offer the government is a scan of a body part other than my face along with some humble suggestions about where, in their own bodies, they might insert a printed copy.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd be willing to let the government scan the body parts that TSA has mishandled the most.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:45 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by RadioGirl

With perhaps some rare exceptions that someone will bring up shortly, "Americans who travel internationally" have passports. With passport photos. Copies of which are almost certainly maintained by DHS or one of its associated agencies.

So DHS already has photos of all the Americans who travel internationally.

Airports and all sorts of other places already have surveillance cameras at security checkpoints and secure gate areas anyways, and of course at customs/immigration where all international air travelers pass through.

Depending on how it's implemented it could be nothing more than higher resolution cameras in existing secure areas and the only big change is how and for how long the data is stored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.