Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

No. Gemalto.
Riiiiiiiight, sure, yeah-- of course.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Riiiiiiiight, sure, yeah-- of course.
Yes. Gemalto, of course. It wouldn’t be Apple or Amazon, for example.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:19 am

Proposal to Require Biometric Photographs to Exit the US

This concerns me: The DHS regulatory agenda now includes a proposal to require everyone, even US citizens, to have biometric photographs taken in order to leave the US.

https://papersplease.org/wp/2019/12/...zen-travelers/

My concern regarding the rulemaking is that it may go the way that things went for the TSA body scanners...where a significant majority of the comments are against this; however, they act anyway and ignore those comments.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I declined to use it at Dulles a couple of weeks ago. The gate agent asked why and I just gave him some stink eye in response.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:16 pm

I also declined to allow my photo to be taken when leaving ORD on Aer Lingus. The gate agent then made it sound like it would then be a huge pain for her to look at my passport manually, which of course did not provide any extra pain at all.

My concern is that if the new rule comes about, one will not have the ability to opt-out anymore.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is public comment open?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Errors would affect hundreds of thousands of passengers a year.

DHS has been testing a biometric departure system at several airports.

• The system matched photos of a passenger to someone else 0.03% of the time, and failed to match a passenger to the correct person 0.5% of the time which would mean problems for over half a million passengers a year.

• Of course that’s only when the government’s systems work, in fact “frequent system disruptions hindered photo capture and automated data exchange” for 15% of passengers.
https://viewfromthewing.com/us-gover...ngers-by-2021/
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:46 am
Suspended

TSA also wants to use FRT to control passenger movements. So it won’t just be CBP within DHS trying to use FRT to monitor and control people.

And FRT in practice can have substantial failure rates with false negative matching, more so for people who are ethnic minorities with higher melanin counts, and I doubt that DHS/CBP’s use of FRT is free of this kind of problem that exists with a lot of FRT systems used by commercial and government entities around the world.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 5, 2019 at 1:52 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: EY
CBP reverses course on planned rule change to require photographs of departing US Citizens
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:32 am
Suspended

DHS/CBP's retreat on the planned rule change is welcome, but DHS already knows how to gets its way in the main by making opting-out less likely and more inconvenient for the opting-out individual. So while this is a small victory for its critics, it's far from being the end of DHS/CBP expanding use of FRT.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Does TSA still take photos of departing international passengers?

Pre-COVID, I recall seeing TSA folks set up roving booths to take photos of departing international passengers. During the pandemic, has anyone seen TSA still engaging in this behavior? They continually claim to be short-staffed but somehow manage to find personnel for gimmicks like this. Seeing this riles me up if I waited in a long security line that could have used extra staffing.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Totoro
Pre-COVID, I recall seeing TSA folks set up roving booths to take photos of departing international passengers. During the pandemic, has anyone seen TSA still engaging in this behavior? They continually claim to be short-staffed but somehow manage to find personnel for gimmicks like this. Seeing this riles me up if I waited in a long security line that could have used extra staffing.
While there was a time when CBP and TSA would be together doing that kind of thing for departing international passengers, that was pre-pandemic. During this pandemic it hasn't worked that way in my experience.

Of the the biometric exit stuff I've encountered during this pandemic at US airports, it's the CBP and/or airline slowing me down to try to get me to do the biometric departure/boarding.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
JFK T4 is still using biometric boarding and my experience is that it reduces the contact as the gate agent doesn't have to manipulate your passport / boarding pass. It's always a very smooth process.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:56 pm

Last week, before my flight to Costa Rica from ATL, the delta agent wanted to use facial recognition for boarding. They let me opt-out but I was concerned as the gate agent did not seem happy that I did this and claimed that next time I would not be able to do so.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by guflyer
Last week, before my flight to Costa Rica from ATL, the delta agent wanted to use facial recognition for boarding. They let me opt-out but I was concerned as the gate agent did not seem happy that I did this and claimed that next time I would not be able to do so.
He has no way of knowing that.

But, it is all irrelevant. All of those gates have full camera coverage anyway. Doesn't matter whether you use the FR boarding process or not if your concern is that your image is matched to your name to your travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.