Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Per this article I read this morning about the pilot being extended to one ORD-LHR AA-operated flight, they are:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/ne....google.com%2F

Glad our upcoming trip to the UK is outbound via ship and not that flight...
They aren't deleting them all. Just most of them.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Most of them
CBP Deploys Biometric Exit Technology at IAH

So I am boarding the ua iah-nrt flight this am and what look like real police (not TSA but maybe ... ). Had a camera on a stand about face high and taking photos of all pax (glasses, hats off) before boarding.

Anyone know the deal?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by fracmeister
So I am boarding the ua iah-nrt flight this am and what look like real police (not TSA but maybe ... ). Had a camera on a stand about face high and taking photos of all pax (glasses, hats off) before boarding.

Anyone know the deal?
Would be better to know more detail.... but if "regular" state/local LEO they would not have me cooperating with getting me to participate with a mug shot.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Maybe it's a 'face recognition' test? They are considering using your face for boarding. I didn't talk to an immigration guy when I flew to MEL in February, just stood in a line, got my photo taken (no glasses) and then the gate opened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers/102812802/
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It is probably related to this.

http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/...-bush-airport/
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by fracmeister

Anyone know the deal?
Did they correlate names with the photos?

It could be a test program for the proposed worldwide biometric database that Fakebook and Google have been pushing.

See here:

http://www.ibtimes.com/fbi-now-has-l...llance-2345062

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...privacy-rights
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Most of them
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
thats exactly the cameras. I guess they are cbp who are a serious step above tsa in my book. Gun carrying Officers. Not "agents "
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:47 am

What does this actually mean? You would refuse to board?

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Would be better to know more detail.... but if "regular" state/local LEO they would not have me cooperating with getting me to participate with a mug shot.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by malgudi
What does this actually mean? You would refuse to board?
Right, I think if you refuse to give them a photo opportunity the airline would deny you passage. Or CBP would refuse to let you pass until the photographed you.

I suppose TSA could lawfully start doing this for domestic flights too, I don't see a 4th Amendment violation here.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:12 am

Are we allowed to make funny faces and/or give the one-finger salute as we pass them?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
CBP picture before flight

Just got on a ORD-PVG flight, and before CBS was lined up at the boarding line taking pictures of each traveler before they boarded, I asked if it was for he US or china, he said it was for the US. Any reason they do this? Never seen it before.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...719-story.html

This
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Interesting, seems ridiculous that US citizens technically don't need to do this, but where are my rights to opt out? Also wouldn't fingerprint scanners be less invasive and much easier to recognize the traveler. Only in America do they care who comes in but doesn't leave, go figure, and we as citizens have to bare the brunt.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Just got on a ORD-PVG flight, and before CBS was lined up at the boarding line taking pictures of each traveler before they boarded, I asked if it was for he US or china, he said it was for the US. Any reason they do this? Never seen it before.
I thought that this only took place on flights from ORD to LHR on AA (based upon what I read in this article http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...719-story.html) I thought I also read that one can opt-out but who knows if that is also correct.

Is there any updated list of flights to which this has been expanded?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sheeple are alive & well at ORD.

At O'Hare on Wednesday, several passengers — all U.S. citizens — waiting to board the London flight told the Tribune they had no problem with the face scan if it boosts security.

"I'd rather be inconvenienced than dead," said Linda Long, 68, of South Whitley, Ind. She was traveling with a church group to England and Ireland.

Another passenger, the Rev. Dominic Lenk, 57, a Benedictine priest from St. Louis, said: "I have no issue with it. If it makes us safer, it's great." He noted that you go through the same process on return trips to this country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.