Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA management practices and misconduct hearing on CSPAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA management practices and misconduct hearing on CSPAN

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
This sounds to me as if TSA was testing the dog. Otherwise, why ETD all the passengers? Perhaps I am wrong, but sniffer dogs don't stand in place to do their job. Part of the "fun" of the job for the dog is moving, going to the target rather than having the target come to the dog.
The penalty box was about 4' by 15', large enough that the dog was constantly in motion, walking around the edge of the box, sniffing travelers as they filed past.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I fail to see the need for both Explosive Sniffer Dog and Explosive Trace Portal. Seems to be a duplication of effort.
Not ETD portals, ETD swab machines.

I do see it as justified. Dogs are not 100% accurate. ETD tests are not 100% accurate. Using both decreases the possibility of missing the scent.

However, in this case it was done with TSA's typical wasteful overkill, by deploying a dozen ETD machines, each with a TSO, and swabbing every single traveler who passed through the line. With the dog there to back it up, I think it's only necessary to swab random travelers, about every 5 or 10 people, perhaps. But I see this overkill as a sign that the MCO FSD obviously had no faith in those new-fangled K9 thingies.

Originally Posted by BSBD
"TSA" and "duplication of effort" go hand-in-hand. Just one example: automated sterile area exit doors with alarms and mechanisms that prevent pax from entering through the exit, yet they are all manned by a TSO.
Again, no faith by the local FSD in the technology that he spent so much (of our) money installing. "What if it doesn't work?" they always ask. Well, sure tech breaks down, but if you second-guess every machine in the universe, we'd still have torches in every building, in case those new-fangled electric light thingies suddenly stop working. It's all magical voodoo, you know, and magic makes up it's own mind about when to work and when not to!
Old May 1, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw that I wrote ETP and had intended to say ETD. Just didn't go back and correct myself. If TSA could have managed the ETP better there would be no need for passenger screening canines.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The penalty box was about 4' by 15', large enough that the dog was constantly in motion, walking around the edge of the box, sniffing travelers as they filed past.
60 sq.ft. don't cut it for the poor dog.

However, in this case it was done with TSA's typical wasteful overkill, by deploying a dozen ETD machines, each with a TSO, and swabbing every single traveler who passed through the line. With the dog there to back it up, I think it's only necessary to swab random travelers, about every 5 or 10 people, perhaps. But I see this overkill as a sign that the MCO FSD obviously had no faith in those new-fangled K9 thingies.
Yes, this sounds like a typical TSA experiment gone wild. Further, I don't see the necessity to swab even every 10th person. 1 in 20 should suffice.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:44 am

Examining Management Practices and Misconduct at TSA: Part II

Neffenger and Roth are testifying. Disappointedly Neffenger defends Kelly Hogan. Kelly Hogan is the TSA employee who received bonuses despite being responsible for the 95% failure rate of TSA.

Neffenger claims:
* have to put an end to retaliatory reassignments
* have an open door policy for reporting misconduct
Old May 12, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not convinced that TSA's senior managers have the capacity to understand what's wrong with TSA. An outside binding review is clearly needed.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:49 am

An outside reveiw should happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.