Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA management practices and misconduct hearing on CSPAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA management practices and misconduct hearing on CSPAN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Washingtonpost Sep. 2015

"TSA has kept in place another program (Managed Inclusion I) that allows travelers to use the PreCheck line as long as they have been pre-screened by TSA canines."
Hmmm...well, I guess I witnessed an example of TSA's 'consistent inconsistency'. The pooch went up and down both Pre and regular lines and disappeared. No one was shifted from Pre to the regular lane (or vice versa).

It was kind of like a slow-motion 'wave' at a stadium - heads turned to look as the cutie dog and handler made their way down the lines, toddlers and little kids' hands reaching out to try to pet the dog.

Didn't see anyone trying to take his picture though.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Hmmm...well, I guess I witnessed an example of TSA's 'consistent inconsistency'. The pooch went up and down both Pre and regular lines and disappeared. No one was shifted from Pre to the regular lane (or vice versa).
What was happening at the xrays and AITs?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Reasonable security steps can and should be taken but at some point those steps become burdensome and unnecessary. I think the Whole body Imagers, shoes, belts, and LGA restrictions are examples of security steps that are just not necessary.
What is your reasoning that each of those is not necessary? Isn't each process a reaction to an actual unsuccessful incident?

What screening would you say is necessary or should be taken?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:42 pm

What was happening at the xrays and AITs?
On that particular day, the Pre lane went to a WTMD and dedicated belt (full Pre experience) and the regular line went to the NoS after the TDC.

The dog was a cutie, and obviously added another layer of security, but it didn't change anyone's wait time (for better or worse - I didn't see the dog alert or anyone get pulled from the line).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Even AskTSA admits that people are assigned to the non-existent precheck lanes based on vetting before they even get to the airport.

Was it you, Boggie Dog, that said that people over 70 are also regularly given precheck?
I may have said that but to be honest I don't remember.

I am not saying that Managed Inclusion has ended but that is what 'Fouled Anchor' Neffenger has been saying. I have benefited from MI a few times but Pre has always shown on my boarding pass not by BDO/Dog selection.

The real issue is the lack of support for Pre by TSA while going gangbusters on trying to enroll more gullible travelers.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:31 pm

IIRC, I thought there was a 'rule change' a few years ago that potentially allowed under 12's and over 75's to keep shoes and light outerwear, depending on the airport/checkpoint. I'm not sure, but I think it might have been before Pre. I think the problem was that kids and the elderly disproportionately slowed things down when they removed their shoes and then put them back on, often right at the belt. The justification, oddly enough, was that these two age groups generally represented a slightly lower risk. That's a huge departure from hearing that terrorists were known to use children and handicapped people in wheelchairs.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: TSA
Do you by any chance know if that 4000 figure includes people who retired?
I do not
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
IIRC, I thought there was a 'rule change' a few years ago that potentially allowed under 12's and over 75's to keep shoes and light outerwear, depending on the airport/checkpoint. I'm not sure, but I think it might have been before Pre.
The rule allowing those under 12/over 75 to keep shoes and jackets on is 3 years old. PreCheck was started in late 2011.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is your reasoning that each of those is not necessary? Isn't each process a reaction to an actual unsuccessful incident?

What screening would you say is necessary or should be taken?
I think the Whole body Imagers, shoes, belts, and LGA restrictions are examples of security steps that are just not necessary.
I don't believe that these security steps provide a remarkably better security posture. But they do help create a very large backup at TSA Checkpoints placing all of those people standing in line at risk.

One could also look at the rate of occurrence of any particular style off attack. None for belts that I am aware of. One shoe bomber some billion or so passengers ago. And I guess we have to look back at Bojinka to find an attack that used a liquid as an attack.

I would suggest that the risk of attacks that these steps supposedly reduce is not worth the manpower or cost.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
The rule allowing those under 12/over 75 to keep shoes and jackets on is 3 years old. PreCheck was started in late 2011.
I have it as being 4 years ago, May of 2012 for old folks and kids in October of 2011.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I have it as being 4 years ago, May of 2012 for old folks and kids in October of 2011.
IIRC the rule change for 75+ was implemented as a pilot in 4 airports in March of 2012, and was rolled out everywhere else later. I thought it was the following year, but it very well could have been May 2012. Can't remember

I think you're spot-on with the kids' rule change.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Has anyone ever actually witnessed people in the regular line who have passed the 'smell test' being moved to the Pre lane (assuming it was open)?

If there are no Pre lanes, then the only point to the dogs is to avoid a Brussels scenario.
?? TSA says they've got sniffer dogs and they're going to be getting more. I'm taking their word for it. They don't have a lot of dogs right now, so it doesn't surprise me that I've rarely seen them.

Somehow I don't think I'm getting my point across to you - and I acknowledge that's apparently my fault.

TSA says they have dogs and will be getting more.

TSA says managed inclusion is dead. TSA says the dogs will speed up security.

How will the dogs speed up security if they are sniffing pax in a terminal with no Pre line? How will the dogs speed up security if they sniff both Pre and regular lines (what I witnessed) and go away?

If the dogs aren't being used to speed up security (no Pre lanes or they sniff everybody but no one appears to pass the sniff test - no one gets 'expedited'), then what are they being used for in those circumstances?

I can only think of two things.

1) it's MUCH faster than swabbing/testing everyone, so it's an added 'layer', but it doesn't speed anything up.

2) it's a way of preventing a Brussels-style attack by eliminating the possibility of explosives in the packed lines.

If you can think of another possible reason for using the dogs while not expediting any pax, I'm all ears! Seriously!
The only time I've ever seen a canine at a c/p was in Feb 2015, during Managed Inclusion II, at MCO. The queue post-TDC was altered to create a penalty box in the middle, where the canine and handler were stationed. The rest of the queue was routed around the penalty box, giving the dog plenty of opportunity to sniff passing travelers. Once they passed the dog, travelers then entered a larger queue area where about a dozen ETD machines were set up in a row, each with a TSO manning it. Every traveler had their hands swabbed and tested, and moved on. The rest of the screening was the PreCheck paradigm - shoes, belts, and light outerwear on, laptops inside bags, a pass through the WTMD, and done. I saw one traveler who alarmed the WTMD or had some other issue sent to the AIT, but I doubt that it was mere random selection, since I only saw the one out of several hundred travelers, and only one AIT was in operation.

It was, I must say, the easiest, quickest, least-invasive screening I've had since scope-and-grope started. I was through it in less than ten minutes, despite the volume of travelers being equal to what, in my experience, has caused 30-45 minute waits at that same queue in the past.

Heck, I think it was the best screening experience I've seen since 9/11, although I believe the addition of an ETD canine and the ETD machines were both reasonable, non-invasive improvements over the standard pre-9/11 screening.

To be clear, this was the main queue, not a PreCheck queue. It literally handled half of MCO's traffic (for those who have never been, MCO had two queues, one at each end of the main terminal, each handling half of the airport's 129 gates). There didn't appear to be any separate PreCheck queue that day, since all travelers were essentially being including in PreCheck-style screening.

I had some hope afterward that this would become the new norm, but later I read about MI II, and that it had ended, and on my last trek through MCO the queue was back to normal, with AIT for most, no penalty box, no canine, no ETD swabs, and a 40-minute wait with about the same volume of travelers. Ponderous, man. Ponderous.

Originally Posted by BSBD
My apologies if we're not communicating well. Here's what I'm trying to say:

I do not believe that TSA is making ANY effort to prevent a land-side attack, like the Brussels attack. It's not their job. Their job is to try to prevent damage to airside and aircraft. It's not about the passengers and other airport patrons (which were the target of the Brussels attackers), it's about the "essential infrastructure."

The dogs are not there to stop Brussels-style attackers. They are there to add a sense of legitimacy to random inclusion (aka Managed Inclusion).
They may use that excuse to justify giant, obvious gaps in their screening, but it doesn't gibe with the fact that they're still rabid when it comes to guns (and images of guns), sharps, and 'bludgeoning weapons' like lightsaber canes. These items have never posed any threat to the aircraft themselves; they only pose a danger to the flight crew and passengers, and were banned out of fear that they could be used for hijacking, not out of fear of them bringing down a plane. They're almost useless now, with secured cockpit doors and the "OMG HE'S GONNA KILL US ALL STOMP HIM INTO THE CARPET 9/11 9/11 9/11!!!!!" attitude that most pax bring aboard the plane.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The queue post-TDC was altered to create a penalty box in the middle, where the canine and handler were stationed. The rest of the queue was routed around the penalty box, giving the dog plenty of opportunity to sniff passing travelers. Once they passed the dog, travelers then entered a larger queue area where about a dozen ETD machines were set up in a row, each with a TSO manning it. Every traveler had their hands swabbed and tested, and moved on.
This sounds to me as if TSA was testing the dog. Otherwise, why ETD all the passengers? Perhaps I am wrong, but sniffer dogs don't stand in place to do their job. Part of the "fun" of the job for the dog is moving, going to the target rather than having the target come to the dog.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fail to see the need for both Explosive Sniffer Dog and Explosive Trace Portal. Seems to be a duplication of effort.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I fail to see the need for both Explosive Sniffer Dog and Explosive Trace Portal. Seems to be a duplication of effort.
"TSA" and "duplication of effort" go hand-in-hand. Just one example: automated sterile area exit doors with alarms and mechanisms that prevent pax from entering through the exit, yet they are all manned by a TSO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.