Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA management practices and misconduct hearing on CSPAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA management practices and misconduct hearing on CSPAN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Another Brussels cannot be prevented when TSA security lines are two + hours long. An attack against the land side of any airport will likely have some success unless you have an armed forced in place, ready to fire and in doing that you almost guarantee that some innocent person(s) will be mistaken for a terrorist and be fired upon at some point.
And even IF you have that, I've yet to see a bullet that stops a luggage bomb.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeBas
And even IF you have that, I've yet to see a bullet that stops a luggage bomb.
Yes, a dead mans trigger does seem very likely.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by chollie

The point of the dogs is not to pre-clear pax for expedited screening, thus reducing congestion and the security threat it presents. It's solely to prevent another Brussels - and another job to promote TSOs to, where they get a pay rise but also reduce the working checkpoint staff by a headcount.
The dogs are exactly to pre-screen for expidited screening. Managed Inclusion, even with dogs, has been around for years. Managed Includion is because Precheck cannot be justified by the number of approved users.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Has anyone ever actually witnessed people in the regular line who have passed the 'smell test' being moved to the Pre lane (assuming it was open)?

If there are no Pre lanes, then the only point to the dogs is to avoid a Brussels scenario.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Has anyone ever actually witnessed people in the regular line who have passed the 'smell test' being moved to the Pre lane (assuming it was open)?
Yes, I saw it once at BNA. Haven't seen very many dogs there since, so I doubt there's any effort to use dogs to prevent a Brussels-style attack.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
Yes, I saw it once at BNA. Haven't seen very many dogs there since, so I doubt there's any effort to use dogs to prevent a Brussels-style attack.
I'm suggesting that if there are no Pre lanes, then there's no point to managed inclusion, so if the doggies are there, it must be to prevent another Brussels-style attack. It is certainly much faster than swabbing and testing every single pax.

I've seen the dog once when Pre was open and the lines were long. The pooch sniffed both lines, but no one was shifted from the regular line to Pre. That's only one datapoint, of course.

I'm wondering, because I've seen TSA statements suggesting that the sniffer dogs could really speed things up at the checkpoint through 'managed inclusion', but I haven't actually seen that happen yet or read of it happening. It had no effect on the lines the day I saw the dog when Pre was actually available.

Last edited by chollie; Apr 28, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:45 pm

I fly weekly, through multiple domestic airports. I have seen absolutely no evidence that there's any additional effort, using dogs or armed police officers, to prevent a Brussels-style attack. IOW, I don't see what you're suggesting is taking place.

What I have seen is a massive scrutiny of carry-on bags at the x-Ray machines and post-x-Ray, with subsequent delays.

As is typical for TSA, they focus on prevention of past threats or correction of criticism, not on current threats.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neffenger (needs a nickname) has stated to Congress that Managed Inclusion was ended. Only vetted/paid Pre Check flyers in the fast lane.

Now we all know the above is not true but it is what TSA has been saying.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:59 pm

I fly weekly, through multiple domestic airports. I have seen absolutely no evidence that there's any additional effort, using dogs or armed police officers, to prevent a Brussels-style attack. IOW, I don't see what you're suggesting is taking place.

What I have seen is a massive scrutiny of carry-on bags at the x-Ray machines and post-x-Ray, with subsequent delays.

As is typical for TSA, they focus on prevention of past threats or correction of criticism, not on current threats.
?? TSA says they've got sniffer dogs and they're going to be getting more. I'm taking their word for it. They don't have a lot of dogs right now, so it doesn't surprise me that I've rarely seen them.

Somehow I don't think I'm getting my point across to you - and I acknowledge that's apparently my fault.

TSA says they have dogs and will be getting more.

TSA says managed inclusion is dead. TSA says the dogs will speed up security.

How will the dogs speed up security if they are sniffing pax in a terminal with no Pre line? How will the dogs speed up security if they sniff both Pre and regular lines (what I witnessed) and go away?

If the dogs aren't being used to speed up security (no Pre lanes or they sniff everybody but no one appears to pass the sniff test - no one gets 'expedited'), then what are they being used for in those circumstances?

I can only think of two things.

1) it's MUCH faster than swabbing/testing everyone, so it's an added 'layer', but it doesn't speed anything up.

2) it's a way of preventing a Brussels-style attack by eliminating the possibility of explosives in the packed lines.

If you can think of another possible reason for using the dogs while not expediting any pax, I'm all ears! Seriously!

Last edited by chollie; Apr 28, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps TSA using sniffer dogs is admitting that the expensive and slow Whole Body Imager doesn't actually do much.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:28 pm

Perhaps TSA using sniffer dogs is admitting that the expensive and slow Whole Body Imager doesn't actually do much.
Yeah, although I've never understood why sniffer dogs should be used to boost people to Pre.

They could still have a knife in their shoes or something hinky with their electronics or LGAs - or a non-metallic threat on their person. It also kind of makes you wonder what's the point of the Pre background check anyway, if it's that easy to clear people for Pre on the spot without the check.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

?? TSA says they've got sniffer dogs and they're going to be getting more. I'm taking their word for it. They don't have a lot of dogs right now, so it doesn't surprise me that I've rarely seen them.

Somehow I don't think I'm getting my point across to you - and I acknowledge that's apparently my fault.

TSA says they have dogs and will be getting more.

TSA says managed inclusion is dead. TSA says the dogs will speed up security.

How will the dogs speed up security if they are sniffing pax in a terminal with no Pre line? How will the dogs speed up security if they sniff both Pre and regular lines (what I witnessed) and go away?

If the dogs aren't being used to speed up security (no Pre lanes or they sniff everybody but no one appears to pass the sniff test - no one gets 'expedited'), then what are they being used for in those circumstances?

I can only think of two things.

1) it's MUCH faster than swabbing/testing everyone, so it's an added 'layer', but it doesn't speed anything up.

2) it's a way of preventing a Brussels-style attack by eliminating the possibility of explosives in the packed lines.

If you can think of another possible reason for using the dogs while not expediting any pax, I'm all ears! Seriously!

My apologies if we're not communicating well. Here's what I'm trying to say:

I do not believe that TSA is making ANY effort to prevent a land-side attack, like the Brussels attack. It's not their job. Their job is to try to prevent damage to airside and aircraft. It's not about the passengers and other airport patrons (which were the target of the Brussels attackers), it's about the "essential infrastructure."

The dogs are not there to stop Brussels-style attackers. They are there to add a sense of legitimacy to random inclusion (aka Managed Inclusion).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:30 pm

My apologies if we're not communicating well. Here's what I'm trying to say:

I do not believe that TSA is making ANY effort to prevent a land-side attack, like the Brussels attack. It's not their job. Their job is to try to prevent damage to airside and aircraft. It's not about the passengers and other airport patrons (which were the target of the Brussels attackers), it's about the "essential infrastructure."

The dogs are not there to stop Brussels-style attackers. They are there to add a sense of legitimacy to random inclusion (aka Managed Inclusion).
OK, got it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:32 pm

Neffenger (needs a nickname) has stated to Congress that Managed Inclusion was ended. Only vetted/paid Pre Check flyers in the fast lane.

Washingtonpost Sep. 2015

"TSA has kept in place another program (Managed Inclusion I) that allows travelers to use the PreCheck line as long as they have been pre-screened by TSA canines."
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:39 pm

Even AskTSA admits that people are assigned to the non-existent precheck lanes based on vetting before they even get to the airport.

Was it you, Boggie Dog, that said that people over 70 are also regularly given precheck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.