Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long TSA Lines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
You really want know? PM me
If you told me, do you think I would keep quiet about it?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
An update: AJC: City council committee chair is “open minded” about privatizing Atlanta airport security (February 22, 2016)

A short excerpt:
A key Atlanta city council member said she is “open-minded” about the idea of privatizing security at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, after airport officials raised the idea amid concern about long lines at checkpoints.

Yolanda Adrean, chair of the Atlanta city council transportation committee, which oversees the airport, said customer service and safety are “very important aspects of running our airport.” “Given the level of travelers that we expect this year, it is imperative that we manage wait times. And if a private provider can ensure safety and keep our customers’ wait times to a reasonable level, then I would be open-minded to it,” Adrean said Monday.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
PreCheck lanes in ATL have been getting longer and slower in the South Terminal. In December, the line was roped off way back toward the DL ticket counters at 7:00 AM on a Thursday in mid Dec. TSA was walking up and down to keep people from cutting the line.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by petaluma1
If you told me, do you think I would keep quiet about it?
All you have to do is ask...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:46 pm

I'm asking and I'd like a public answer.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
They are not under scrutiny like TSA, they are not paid government payroll, no one cares if they are not busy all the time, they have a constant stream of duties to perform when the next flight is coming even if it is 4 hours away. There are a lot of them at DEN that have multiple employers too. So it is easy for them to avoid the limelight.
But...with all due respect, eyecue, those employees are working for employers who are concerned about profits.

TSA has no concerns about profits. If the for-profit organizations can, as you say, afford to have people idle during slow times in order to adequately support busy times, why is that a problem for TSA?

(Not attacking you, I'm guessing those decisions are above your paygrade, but come on - TSA never gets turned down for $$$.

Especially not under-performing brass.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
PreCheck lanes in ATL have been getting longer and slower in the South Terminal. In December, the line was roped off way back toward the DL ticket counters at 7:00 AM on a Thursday in mid Dec. TSA was walking up and down to keep people from cutting the line.
And of course, the TSOs assigned 'long line monitor' duty were TSOs who were not screening pax and manning xrays.

Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
TSA PreCheck lanes at the World's Busiest Airport don't open until 5am. By 4:45am every day, the line for the South PreCheck area almost always has a couple hundred people waiting in it. I'm at a loss to understand how that makes sense, especially with the heavy push in ATL to get people to sign up for Pre.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Some coverage of the latest meeting of the Atlanta city council's transportation committee:

AJC.com: Hartsfield-Jackson’s threat of privatizing security prompts talks with TSA (February 24, 2016)

A short excerpt:
In the last two, three weeks, [wait times] could reach as high as 50, 52 minutes,” [Hartsfield-Jackson general manager Miguel Southwell] said. “That’s simply unacceptable.”

As passenger counts increase at the world’s busiest airport, “TSA simply is not reacting fast enough” to add staff, Southwell said Wednesday during remarks to the Atlanta city council’s transportation committee.

But he said after conversations with TSA in the last week and a half, “We believe with the commitments we received, we should see… additional resources, including employees, canine teams” and new technology to process passengers.
and
Southwell said private contractors may be able to use a greater share of part-time workers than TSA does to handle the fluctuations of passenger volumes through security checkpoints. TSA has a unionized workforce.

But he said that after conversations with TSA, “I believe we have the commitment that we were seeking,” with plans for TSA to work with Hartsfield-Jackson to “provide as many employees as possible” in the next 30 to 60 days. Southwell plans to meet with Neffenger on Monday on the issue.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Some coverage of the latest meeting of the Atlanta city council's transportation committee:

AJC.com: Hartsfield-Jackson’s threat of privatizing security prompts talks with TSA (February 24, 2016)

A short excerpt:
and

Southwell would be well advised to remember that TSA lies about everything.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
There aren't too few screeners. There are too many, too lazy, screeners.
Like this lovely couple?

Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:06 pm

So does AskTSA really contact airports when issues have been reported:

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll pass your comments to our team at DEN.
If they do, does TSA listen?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by petaluma1
So does AskTSA really contact airports when issues have been reported:

If they do, does TSA listen?
No, they did not listen. They will kicked out of airports. There will be no more TSA.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:40 am

Now @AskTSA is telling ppl to arrive 2 to 3 hours before a flight because of all the screening delays.

We understand your frustration. Pls be sure to arrive at the airport 2-3 hours prior to your scheduled departure.
https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/705412271552462848
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:56 am

Go, Neffenger!

They're saying '2-3 hours' now; six months from now, the default will be 3 hours, even for a domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.