Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Do You Know Who I Am at Transportation Security Administration Airport Checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Know Who I Am at Transportation Security Administration Airport Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:32 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
But where he gets DYKWIA about it, other than his constant loud complaining in the line, is when he gets to the bins and demands pre-check treatment in the regular line. "Why do I still have to take off my shoes??? I paid for pre-check! Can't I leave my shoes on???" The TSA monkey said "No" and he got even angrier, asking what "recourse" he had.

None. He has none. Read the fine print with the big exclamation mark beside it on the website: "TSA incorporates unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no passenger is guaranteed expedited screening."

The PHX TSA line for DL is closed all the time. They give you a piece of paper if you're Precheck so you don't have to take your shoes off in the regular line.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:40 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tizzette
No savings for taxpayers, worse food and fewer guards for prisoners...the only way to make a profit in some businesses is cutting corners.
I spent 4 of my 6 years in which I was incarcerated in a privately-owned federal prison in California.

I can vouch for this. The food is infinitely more horrible than a regular prison, and there is much less of it on the tray.

The only nice thing about privately-owned prisons is that if you are an inmate who has money their commissary is much better. They make profit on items they sell, and therefore offer a better selection of electronics, shoes, crafts, and food for the inmates to purchase.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 355F1
I spent 4 of my 6 years in which I was incarcerated in a privately-owned federal prison in California.

I can vouch for this. The food is infinitely more horrible than a regular prison, and there is much less of it on the tray.

The only nice thing about privately-owned prisons is that if you are an inmate who has money their commissary is much better. They make profit on items they sell, and therefore offer a better selection of electronics, shoes, crafts, and food for the inmates to purchase.
I'll take "things I never thought I'd read in a DYKWIA thread on Flyertalk" for 500
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:03 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by Smiley90
not really relevant to the thread anyway.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Can we get away from how to run prisons and back to DYKWIA stories?
I'll take "things I never thought I'd read in a DYKWIA thread on Flyertalk" for 500
Exactly the reasons why this new discussion was separated from this discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I do not agree that the private sector would do a better job. I can think of a few functions of government that have privatized that are now worse. Prisons, for one.
You have direct experience with prisons allowing you to make that assessment?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
That seems like a rather impolite question to ask, especially since there are a ton of articles on the subject documenting a problem that one need not have personal experience to recognize.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
That seems like a rather impolite question to ask, especially since there are a ton of articles on the subject documenting a problem that one need not have personal experience to recognize.
They could be a correctional worker or have other experience. I never consider that experience would be as an inmate.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Prisons should be hell on earth in an effort to deter people from going...
Yeah, that's really going to help produce people who are ready to function in society when they're released.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by 355F1
The PHX TSA line for DL is closed all the time. They give you a piece of paper if you're Precheck so you don't have to take your shoes off in the regular line.
Just wait until the all-new-super-dooper-multi-level-tsa checkpoint is finished in T3. Naaah, TSA Pre✓® will probably still be closed.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:56 am
IHG Contributor Badge

I can understand your point. LoL

We all make mistakes, dude. Some mistakes are larger than others...and some of us got caught.

It's just life....my level of success I have achieved today was definitely earned the hard way after growing up in and out of the juvenile system (foster homes, and more), and then the 6yr period during my early 20s for getting involved with the Ecstasy trade back in the late 90s.

I have gone through a lot of Ess to get where I am at today.

My life story has definitely made for some interesting conversations in J, though, including on a recent CDG-LAX flight in J on AF. LoL! Way too many people tell me I need to write a book on my life but I have no interest. I volunteer my time with at-risk youth here in Phoenix because I have been where most of these kids are at now.

Life is good, dude.....life is very very good! ^^^

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I do.

And the poster is correct in regards to the privatization of corrections--horrible for the inmates, and ran highly inefficiently.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:40 pm

Never an inmate, thank goodness.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I once had a TSA smurf who WTKWIA. I refused to tell them out loud but then offered to whisper my name into their ear. That got me a three stripper.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I once had a TSA smurf who WTKWIA. I refused to tell them out loud but then offered to whisper my name into their ear. That got me a three stripper.
A free stripper you say? I'll take that, LOL
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I pulled out my second boarding pass once and carefully read it to them.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
If passengers are given precheck status for a flight, then passengers should be able to count on having ALL of those benefits at the checkpoint before that flight. As someone mentioned above, one advantage of precheck is being able to show up at the airport later and go through security faster. If I don't know whether the precheck line is open, then that benefit goes away from me because now I have to budget for the possibility of standing in the kettle line for a longer period of time. .

Similarly - and yes, here I am complaining about it as predicted - having to pull one's laptop and baggie out is inconvenient and requires me to pack my bag in a certain way. I prefer to zip all of my stuff up deep inside of my bags - it's safer and more efficiency that way - but if I have to pull them out, then that affects the way that I have packed and forces me to pack differently on the off chance that I will have to pull them out at the checkpoint. It's not a minor thing else they wouldn't state it as a benefit when they are selling the program.

Finally, HELL YEAH I will let them know about my displeasure if I am stuck in the regular line for no other reason than TSA doesn't want to pay a handful of clerks more minimum wage time. If they are so big on "customer service" as they say, then they need to know that the "customer" isn't pleased with the way he is being served. If people never complain and just meekly stand there and shuffle through the cattle shoot that will only invite them to impinge on the process even more in the future. They need to know what they are doing isn't right and they need to be uncomfortable about it. Even if the frontline clerks are "just doing their jobs" the feedback still flows back upstream to the decision makers and it also affects the way the clerks act in the future, even if its subconciously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.