Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Your Worst POE experiences outside of the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Worst POE experiences outside of the US

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Blogndog
I disagree -- he was a much better POE than his brother William.
How about Tony Poe? He seems like an interesting fellow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Poshepny
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Arriving by sea into Turkmenistan. Forty degrees in the shade, no food, water or toilets and a nine hour process. I ended up going behind a train siding only to have a Kalashnikov waving solider who looked about 12 admonish me mid-stream. I didn't stop. And we had a guide to get us through "faster".
Replace 9 hours with 3 hours, and it's lot like arriving into the US at the San Juan PR cruise terminal.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Lisbon Airport for non EU citizens in 2009. Most of the incoming flight from Newark consisted of American passport holders. We had to wait a LONG time while they did absolutely nothing to open up those booths. My dad was suffering from Parkinson's and nearly fell over. One of the airport workers happened to notice that he was a sick old man and somehow just by force of will got the three of us to the EU section, basically telling the startled clerks: "Just DO it!" and they did.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Worst POE? Edgar Allan.
Nevermore!

What about General Orlando Poe who oversaw the burning of Atlanta?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Metcalfe_Poe

He also designed lighthouses and shipping locks. A lock on the St. Mary's River in Sault Ste. Marie is named after him. The Poe Lock.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Lisbon Airport for non EU citizens in 2009. Most of the incoming flight from Newark consisted of American passport holders. We had to wait a LONG time while they did absolutely nothing to open up those booths. My dad was suffering from Parkinson's and nearly fell over. One of the airport workers happened to notice that he was a sick old man and somehow just by force of will got the three of us to the EU section, basically telling the startled clerks: "Just DO it!" and they did.
Well, that has sure changed. In fact, when I went through LIS (TWICE) with my US Passport, they didn't even ask a question. Stamped it and I was on my way. Couldn't have been quicker.

Sorry to hear of your experiences.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Asmonaut
I suspect Asian ports such as Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai are more welcoming.
This was long ago (mid 70s), but despite being welcomed in HKG and BKK, SIN was not quite so friendly. We were going to Penang and had a six hour layover in SIN. My family (I was fifteen at the time) thought it would be nice to see Singapore for a few hours. But the entry sentinel said my hair was too long (it was shoulder length and I am male) and said "cut it short or stay out." So we stayed out. Not really a horror story, but not very friendly, either.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:52 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
This was long ago (mid 70s), but despite being welcomed in HKG and BKK, SIN was not quite so friendly. We were going to Penang and had a six hour layover in SIN. My family (I was fifteen at the time) thought it would be nice to see Singapore for a few hours. But the entry sentinel said my hair was too long (it was shoulder length and I am male) and said "cut it short or stay out." So we stayed out. Not really a horror story, but not very friendly, either.
There's a Wikipedia article about your issue.

My uncle tells me that a bribe was necessary to enter Thailand quickly in the 70s. Those who didn't know initially had to wait until they understood what was required.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:16 am

I had the worst attitude arriving into SYD last month. I used the ePassport gates, got through the gate without a problem when an officer stopped me and asked me a couple questions about my stay (I was staying in SYD for 24 hours on the way to NZ.)

Sure enough, I get pulled at the exit and then examined by the same officer. This officer proceeds to ask me a lot more intrusive and personal questions, some phrased in a way that implies I had done something wrong and some definitely loaded (I didn't fall for the trap.) About 45 minutes late and some swabbing, they let me go.

In retrospect I guess I had fallen into some kind of profile. Single male traveller, arriving with a one-way premium class ticket (flew AUH-SYD in EY Apartments) that was booked only a few days prior, and a planned short stay. I was worried I would get the same treatment entering NZ via CHC the next day, so I skipped the ePassport gates and went to an officer who asked some pretty lengthy questions about my stay, but I was on my way within 3 minutes.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I have traveled all over the world and gone through immigration in countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, South America but the WORST is Toronto, Canada. They are rude, brusk, never believe that you are entering Canada for any other reason to be a criminal or ward of the state. I will not longer do business in Canada or transfer flights there, due to their agents. Vancouver is not as bad as Toronto.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have traveled all over the world and gone through immigration in countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, South America but the WORST is Toronto, Canada. They are rude, brusk, never believe that you are entering Canada for any other reason to be a criminal or ward of the state. I will not longer do business in Canada or transfer flights there, due to their agents. Vancouver is not as bad as Toronto.
My experience al well. Petty little tyrants on a power trip.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
never believe that you are entering Canada for any other reason to be a criminal or ward of the state.
That's entirely unfair. If you're in a suit, they'll immediately assume you're there to steal a job from a Canadian. After two interactions with them that required going to the second counter for a longer talk, a Canadian colleague told me the magic words: "internal meeting."
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:09 am

Law abiding, criminal record free Naturalized US citizen and US passport holder here and have traveled to Asia and EU, the worst POE experience for me unfortunately has been USA. So odd that you are so unwelcome in your own country with all the rude and mean personal questions.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by tng11
one-way premium class ticket (flew AUH-SYD in EY Apartments) that was booked only a few days prior,
I think I would like having access to that kind of bankroll....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.