Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Pax harassed and screened AFTER flight - video

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax harassed and screened AFTER flight - video

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Lots of anti-police types in this thread.
Not necessarily. Most of them are anti-BAD-police, and pro-GOOD-police.

I, for example, happen to be the son of a retired cop of over 40 years of experience and stand 100% behind the police when they do the job correctly.

When they do it wrong, break the rules, or break the law they're trusted with upholding, that's when I cease to stand behind them and demand that they be punished appropriately with their violations.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Most people are these days
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
People recording police during arrest, traffic stops, and other encounters with the public have been arresting the photographer on a regular basis even though the courts have ruled that filming police is a legal act unless the person interferes in some way. Usually some false claim is made by the police and in many cases the cops try to destroy evidence.

Cops need to be held accountable for their acts and assessed any monetary awards that result from their actions.
42 U.S. Code § 1983 - Civil action for deprivation of rights.

Envoke this statute anytime an individual acts under color of State law, which results in a deprivation of civil rights.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Most people are these days
Most people are fans of good policing -- at least as long as it doesn't hit them.

I would hope that most people are not fans of bad police actions, such as those where the police violate civil liberties of the public or otherwise fail to serve and protect in full compliance with all the laws applicable to the police.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of my immediate family worked in law enforcement and I now supply a service to a group of federal and local LEO's. I fully support the LEO community however when they step over the line I have no issue stepping up and letting my voice be heard.

When certain groups of cops have a name for giving a person a "hard ride" while in the back of a paddy wagon I thinks its time to take a look at what's going on. There is no reason to choke a person to death while trying to take them into custody. There is no reason to shoot and kill a person armed only with a knife unless they are attacking, especially shooting them 18 times. There is no reason for cops to shoot up a small truck with two newspaper delivery people inside who showed no threat of any kind. And that is just a small example of what is happening across the country.

Police departments are looking more like an army than "Peace Officers". I think we all need to take a step back and reevaluate what we want our police forces to do. And why is it that almost every federal agency now has its own armed army? Is there really a need for that much firepower in our government agencies?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Lots of people who are opposed to abuse from the police.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TSA employees are not law enforcement officers and do not have the power to detain people except as a citizen arrest. I suspect that they are nervous about being personally sued.
Right! They are not real law enforcement & federal officers. They don't have any right to detained on those people. That's not right! I think it's time to end the TSA. End it now! They have to stop harassed with passengers. There is no reason to detain him. Leave him alone! Leave the passengers alone.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
And why is it that almost every federal agency now has its own armed army? Is there really a need for that much firepower in our government agencies?
Yes, while the Second Amendment is being protected..... a well armed citizenry is a government's worst nightmare.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Yes, while the Second Amendment is being protected..... a well armed citizenry is a government's worst nightmare.
I'm not sure if you are being snarky or what but I find the growing expansion of police agencies within government to be concerning.

Why does NOAA need a police force? Why does the CDC need a police force or HUD, Department of Education, or Department of Agriculture?

And now some people are in favor of arming TSA screeners. I am not one those those people!

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...-armed-agents/

The list of agencies—many of which are recent creations—that have their own police forces is staggering. Even the Environmental Protection Agency has its own sworn officers, as does The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). While NOAA only has 63 officers today, the EPA started out with one armed officer in 1978 and as of last year it had 265. There is also the General Services Administration, the Department of Education, Agriculture, Housing and Urban Development—and the list goes on.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:44 am

I'm not sure if you are being snarky or what but I find the growing expansion of police agencies within government to be concerning.

Why does NOAA need a police force? Why does the CDC need a police force or HUD, Department of Education, or Department of Agriculture?

And now some people are in favor of arming TSA screeners. I am not one those those people!

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...-armed-agents/
Just pointing out that since the US government is in a constant "arms race" with its citizenry and residents on all sorts of fronts (equipment, technology, policy, etc.). The Radar Detector battle in some states and the move to encrypt all communications between public workers are classic examples. Because the people have capabilities so, too, must the gubmint keep increasing its capabilities since it can't trust the very people that grant it legitimacy.

I agree with you.

Last edited by Section 107; Dec 1, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:31 am

Actually, at exactly the same time. LAPD's D Platoon (aka "SWAT") was created in response the Watts riots in the late 60's; Adam-12 started filming and aired at the same time.

As a corollary: Many episodes of Hill Street Blues (early 80's ostensibly set in Chicago) are rife with plot lines of the excessive militarization in equipment and uniforms and heavy-handed tactics of Sgt/Lt. Hunter's "(H)EATers" SWAT team - particularly the use of an armored personnel carrier to breach entrances and walls.

The controversy over militarization of law enforcement actually extends back way further than that - the US Marshals, Revenuers, FBI and other local LE organizations were criticized for using machine guns (well, the Gatling gun and successors), armored cars, and lots of military style tactics in going after bootleggers, organized crime, and just your everyday-run-of-the-mill desperados.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Section 107
Actually, at exactly the same time. LAPD's D Platoon (aka "SWAT") was created in response the Watts riots in the late 60's; Adam-12 started filming and aired at the same time.

As a corollary: Many episodes of Hill Street Blues (early 80's ostensibly set in Chicago) are rife with plot lines of the excessive militarization in equipment and uniforms and heavy-handed tactics of Sgt/Lt. Hunter's "(H)EATers" SWAT team - particularly the use of an armored personnel carrier to breach entrances and walls.

The controversy over militarization of law enforcement actually extends back way further than that - the US Marshals, Revenuers, FBI and other local LE organizations were criticized for using machine guns (well, the Gatling gun and successors), armored cars, and lots of military style tactics in going after bootleggers, organized crime, and just your everyday-run-of-the-mill desperados.
The Watts Riots? You mean when a black motorist was arrested for drunk-driving, a minor roadside argument escalated into a fight, and the community reacted in outrage? Surely something like that would NEVER happen today. Not in 2015.

And yes, I remember watching Hill Street Blues and Howard Hunter's guys of the Emergency Action Team. Do you remember the TV show SWAT? It's from the 1970's but also based in California.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 was in response to police being "outgunned" by criminals at the time. We are lucky the prohibitive tax of $200 has not been increased since then.

But yes, the militarization of police has been going on for decades.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: WFBF

Just in case your question wasn't rhetorical...

Law enforcement at the federal level has always been kind of a random patchwork, and the thing that's actually a recent invention is the idea that there should or will be only one single "federal police force" handling all federal law enforcement.

There are several reasons for this, ranging from the historical reluctance of Congress to authorize a general-purpose federal law enforcement agency (for a large chunk of US history, instead they'd simply tack additional duties onto some existing agency's charter; this is how the Secret Service -- created to fight counterfeiting -- ended up being Presidential bodyguards) to the structure of the agencies themselves, their history and the nature of their duties. For example, consider the national parks: they have their own police force, and for the most part it doesn't make sense to require them to borrow people from the FBI for that (and of course there's historical clutter, too, as the park police date back to the George Washington administration).

And if you think all that stuff is weird, just wait until you learn that NOAA has a commissioned officer corps too!

(that one's because their predecessor agencies used to lend people to the military, and they needed to be commissioned to bring them under prisoner-of-war rules if captured on/near a battlefield; otherwise they could simply be executed on the spot as spies)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.